Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition Announced for PC, Mac, Linux, and Mobile

Beamdog has officially announced Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition.

The 50+ hour RPG will be released across PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Featured above, you can view the announcement trailer for the new release.

Optimized for 4K ultra HD screens, the Enhanced Edition also features a remastered soundtrack, an improved user interface, as well as updates to the game curated by the original lead designer, Chris Avellone.

The news comes after a blatant tease from the developer yesterday, which pointed to the iconic computer RPG getting a modern re-release.

A release date was not confirmed, however Beamdog noted the game is “coming soon.”

1. Valerie Valens
    Valerie Valens
    March 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm

>Beamdog

Let’s entrust one of our most beloved Role-Playing franchises to be remastered by a company known for abandoning support of their buggy remakes post launch! Anyone remember MDK2 HD? Remember how much of a disaster that was, anyone remember how they abandoned the game.

Yeah no, I’ll stick to the classic edition, TYVM.

2. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    March 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm

I just hope this won’t affect the original GoG version of the game. I don’t trust Beamdog one bit so I hope that we at least will still have the option of GoG if this goes tits up.

3. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    March 28, 2017 at 2:02 pm

9,49 euros on GOG right now.Or even cheaper during a sale.I think it’s wise to grab it before the abomination hits and the proper version is gone forever.

4. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    March 28, 2017 at 2:04 pm

The original Baldur’s Gate games are gone from GOG.They are replaced by the “enhanced editions” /spits.
    I guess this will receive the same treatment.

5. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    March 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm

That’s what I fear(ed). Gotta secure my copy beginning next month so I can still play the game in its original form then.

6. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    March 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Yeah.This game deserves to be preserved in it’s original form.

7. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    March 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Shadow Warrior seems to be the exception to this rule because the non-redux version is still around (and for free). I’m hoping Planescape is at least free before it disappears but I can always find a bootleg copy anyway.

8. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    March 28, 2017 at 3:36 pm

They’re not gone, but you can no longer individually purchase them. They’re included with the “enhanced” editions.

9. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    March 28, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Hmm I stand corrected then.I should’ve checked.

10. Lucky
    Lucky
    March 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm

You can’t be a franchise with only one game, but I see where you’re getting at.

11. G. H.
    G. H.
    March 28, 2017 at 3:58 pm

That’s bad enough.

12. GameZard
    GameZard
    March 28, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Better not fuck it up!

13. Cy
    Cy
    March 28, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Beamdog: Your favorite games, now with 50% more SJW garbage and bugs!

Yeah fuck this.

14. Syndromic
    Syndromic
    March 28, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I’m prepared to laugh at the dialogues they are going to deliver.
    “Hi, I’m immortal and also transgender. My pronouns are xe/xis/xir.

15. Heresy Hammer
    Heresy Hammer
    March 28, 2017 at 8:28 pm

It’s torment alright.

16. BubbaHoTep
    BubbaHoTep
    March 28, 2017 at 10:08 pm

According to this GoG forum post, it looks like Chris Avellone is running a pretty tight ship, so it sounds like they’ve possibly learned their lesson and thankfully aren’t really changing or adding anything. Still, I’d recommend picking the game up while you can, because they’ve announced that you’ll have to buy the Enhanced Edition in order to get the original, since it’s getting removed from GoG once the EE is released (which’ll go from $9.99 to $19.99).

17. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 29, 2017 at 12:01 am

“What can change the nature of a womyn?”
    “Updated my genitals”

18. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    March 29, 2017 at 1:42 am

If it turns out that Avellone is one of those SJWs, though… I don’t think my heart could take it.

19. Mr. Greis
    Mr. Greis
    March 29, 2017 at 3:26 am

I’ve heard the tight ship angle before.

I’ll believe it once I see it.

20. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    March 29, 2017 at 5:16 am

Chances are, he’s more likely to lean to the liberal side than conservative. At the very least, he seems to have little love for tradition.

Planescape: Torment goes out of its way to break away from every fantasy trope and KOTOR II did the same for Star Wars. The major theme in Old World Blues is also holding on to the past, and its failed ideas, is dangerous at best.

21. Llama Adventure
    Llama Adventure
    March 29, 2017 at 6:29 am

“they’ve announced that you’ll have to buy the Enhanced Edition in order to get the original, since it’s getting removed from GoG once the EE is released (which’ll go from $9.99 to $19.99).”

So basically another reason for me not to buy the Enhanced Edition.

Pulling old games off digital distribution to force people to buy your remaster at a greater price is my new most hated industry practice.

22. BubbaHoTep
    BubbaHoTep
    March 29, 2017 at 8:31 am

So far it’s happened to both Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, and soon to be Planescape. Then there’s Gearbox removing Duke Nukem Megaton Edition in favour of their remaster (that doesn’t even include all the content) and Bulletstorm, essentially whoring out Duke as new character to get people to pay the increased price. Not sure what others have been affected.

Unfortunately the model seems to work, I guess because people see it as a good deal despite most of the “enhanced versions” actually introducing problems that never existed and overall just screwing with the game’s original design.

23. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    March 29, 2017 at 9:09 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution also did this. While there were some worthwhile changes, and existing owners got a steep discount, there were also a lot of bugs in the new version. I got lucky and was able to complete the Director’s Cut with no major issues, but one quick look at their forums will tell you many weren’t so lucky.

24. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    March 29, 2017 at 9:21 am

nigga is just one man’s opinion, i dont see why that should be a problem when appreciating his work

25. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 29, 2017 at 10:05 am

Remember that it was Transexual people who ridiculed the trans character’s writing in the Baldur’s Gate expansion and Mass Effect: Andromeda before anyone else.

26. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 29, 2017 at 10:07 am

I mean, Dungeons and Dragons is a well known franchise an PC. Maybe not franchise, but a known brand for sure.

27. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    March 29, 2017 at 11:06 am

“If his work changes to appease people who weren’t fans of the original game, then its a problem. I have no problem with left leaning people. I have a problem with people who want to shoehorn “progressive” angles into storytelling in a poor manner.”

i have a bit of a problem with this argument, because its hard to tell if someone added those views to appease new fans or because this is what the person actually believes or simply because he wants to explore certain themes

either this is a remake, there isnt really a whole lot of room to add new dialogue of that kind

28. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 29, 2017 at 7:24 pm

While sad, if he manages to be an SJW that doesn’t simply panders to SJWs and manages to make good games, I’m sort of okay with this.

29. Grampy_Bone
    Grampy_Bone
    March 29, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Not a fan of the black borders. Doesn’t exactly look high-res to me.

30. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    March 30, 2017 at 3:10 am

Well, I’ve played Fallout 2 and all of the New Vegas DLCs which Avellone primarily wrote, and you won’t find a lot of leftist politicizing in his writing at the time. Though I haven’t experienced Planescape except by reading the WIKI and learning its story there, it also seemed to not pander to leftist ideals, but merely philosophical discussions.

Putting it into this context alone, Planescape wasn’t that political at the time of its release, but changing some of its writing to appease a transkin or whatever MAY make it SJW pandering.

31. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    March 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm

again it can be very hard to argue something is pandering to SJW, it could simply be the writer sharing his worldviews or wants to push forwards certain themes for the player to consider