Starbreeze Picks Up Publishing for Psychonauts 2, Invests $8 Million

Starbreeze Studios have announced they’re publishing Double Fine Productions’ crowdfunded follow-up Psychonauts 2.

Despite the game being crowdfunded with just over $3.8 million via its Fig campaign, Starbreeze is investing an additional $8 million to secure console ports alongside the game’s confirmed PC release.

Starbreeze is positioning itself as a “major investor” in the game, which is also being funded internally by Double Fine. Featured above, you can view a new development video for the game, which shows off a bit of gameplay.

According to Starbreeze, they’ll be able to get a 100% return on their investment, including the cost of marketing the game, accompanied with an initial revenue share of 85% after both distribution and platform fees, and lastly with Fig crowdfunding revenue shares. Following this, Starbreeze’s share of revenue will become 60% after the initial investment is gained.

Psychonauts 2 is launching across PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One sometime next year.

1. braneman
    braneman
    February 6, 2017 at 11:05 am

Knowing modern Schafer, I don’t know about this I don’t think he’s all that great at managing money and I wouldn’t put it past them to pull a “Part 1” on this.

2. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    February 6, 2017 at 11:14 am

Of course now Schafer will refund all the backers their….money…haha oh who I am kidding. Honestly, I think the first game was overrated anyway and the only way this game was going to be finished is from this cash injection.

3. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    Shiggy Diggy Doo
    February 6, 2017 at 11:16 am

Starring a post op Raz coming to terms with his transition and you play as Lilli as you dive deep into the mind of Traz (His new female name) and piece together xis identity and to help complete xer transition and along the way through Traz’s psyche Lilli realizes she was actually born a man and goes through a psychological evolution.

4. Don Tworry
    Don Tworry
    February 6, 2017 at 11:31 am

DOUBLE.
    FINE.
    MEANS.
    YOU.
    PAY.
    TWICE.

5. PixelBuff
    PixelBuff
    February 6, 2017 at 11:35 am

>people still trust Schafer
    Wonder how many times they need to be ripped off.

6. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 6, 2017 at 11:58 am

The fig investors have got to be livid at this arrangement. Then again anyone dumb enough to read the small revenue sharing scheme that comes with Fig and invest with the platform deserves to lose their money.

7. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    February 6, 2017 at 12:28 pm

“they’ll be able to get a 100% return on their investment”
    That’s what they think!
    With Schafer hocking lougies at the original fans and the infectious nostalgia likely having gotten too weak to get any new fans; I imagine they’ll be lucky if they even get 50%.

8. Jumanji Joe
    Jumanji Joe
    February 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm

The majority of people investing money in to his projects are part of the sjw cult. These people give money to each other all the time.

9. Kraken
    Kraken
    February 6, 2017 at 1:59 pm

this games story is just going be filled with tim’s GG salt

10. catazxy
    catazxy
    February 6, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Starbreeze is actually a good studio, but…Timothy Schafer, oh boy, why would you team up with that thing?

11. Bashtarle
    Bashtarle
    February 6, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I don’t even I just don’t even :/

12. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 6, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Aren’t starbreeze the one responsible for pay day 2 having so much dlc?

13. catazxy
    catazxy
    February 6, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Perhaps, but I remember them making the Chronicles of Riddick, the Darkness and Brothers a Tale of two Sons, which were weird and interesting games.

14. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    February 6, 2017 at 5:35 pm

So can someone explain to me why everyone has a massive hate boner for Schafer? I mean, outside of Broken Age taking forever to actually come out, I’m not sure what he did that makes the internet (or at least niche gamer) hate his guts so damn much.

15. Bret Hart
    Bret Hart
    February 6, 2017 at 6:57 pm

It’s Tim’s own doing that caused this distrust for him. Broken Age is left unfinished and ran out of money despite achieving three million dollars of its four hundred thousand goal. Spacebase DF-9 was dumped despite being an early access game which they made money on and ran of out, again.

Then Tim starts to actively support Anita Sarkeesian, even staring on her channel’s “5 way men can help end sexism.” video. Then starts his own donation website where basically it’s. “Money please! Oh fyi I have it apart of the terms and conditions that I don’t have to deliver a finished product even if you invested a large donation. Cool? Thanks.”

His exactly as Activision/Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick said. “Always late, over budget and nothing to show for.” Which is why they stopped publishing Brutal Legend, because double fine did exactly that.

16. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 6, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I’m just so conflicted. Psychonauts was amazing, but considering how Schafer and Double Fine are now a days; I just can’t help worrying that Psychonauts 2 will turn out to be complete preachy politically correct shit.

17. OldPalpy
    OldPalpy
    February 7, 2017 at 1:54 am

Has the original game even aged well or was it even that good to begin with? I’m guessing the platforming has aged terribly.

18. Fandangle
    Fandangle
    February 7, 2017 at 4:28 am

Oh hey, you mean that game that was crowdfunded by that shady as balls kickstarter ripoff that Schafer’s friends personally owned where you couldn’t get refunds and paid a huge amount to buy “shares” in the company?

Funny how that thing got funded and yet this shit comes out.

19. Mighty No. 56008
    Mighty No. 56008
    February 7, 2017 at 9:17 am

Investing $8 million into this game and expecting to get a 100% return? Not hating on Schafer or the game/franchise, but I just don’t see how that would happen. Unless I’m underestimating the hype behind the game and the number of people who haven’t already backed the game and are going to purchase it at full price, I can’t really see it doing THAT well.

20. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    February 7, 2017 at 10:28 am

That platforming does look kinda bad, but when I played the original game a few years ago, it was pretty fun. Looks like Tim is still using his magical wand of suck.

21. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    February 7, 2017 at 10:30 am

I didn’t knew about that Activision bit.
    He also did that infamous #NotYourShield joke on the GDC.

22. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 9, 2017 at 12:22 am

If psychonauts 2 is at least as good as the original, I’ll be happy. Otherwise……………………………..

23. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 9, 2017 at 12:31 am

Wow.
    I’ll be honest, If I can get Psychonauts 2 and it at least as fun as the original, I won’t care about how horrible he seems to be, but if not, I think I’ll be getting as many people together to blast him apart on all his media channels. Won’t be hard since Psychonauts was what really made people love him back then, so if he fucks it up, he’s done.

24. Pixelmancer
    Pixelmancer
    April 1, 2017 at 6:40 pm

A few years ago I would have been super excited, but now I’ll probably never trust Tim Schafer ever again. Plus I don’t want to give my money to an SJW to do god knows what with. If I ever accidentally indirectly funded Anita Sarkeesian or something I’d have to commit seppuku.