Story of Seasons Games Coming to Nintendo Switch

Marvelous has announced they’re bringing the Bokujou Monogatari series to the Nintendo Switch.

The news comes via the official Japanese website for the Nintendo Switch, which lists the Marvelous-developed franchise.

Formerly known as Harvest Moon series in the west (you can read more about that here), only to now be called Story of Seasons.

The list also includes games like BlazBlue, Dragon Quest Heroes, and even Minecraft.

1. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 14, 2017 at 2:07 am

This is nice and all but I’d rather get a new Rune Factory game ;_;

2. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 14, 2017 at 3:24 am

Maybe this’ll be where the mainline Senran Kagura series will end up going.

3. BanBrado
    BanBrado
    January 14, 2017 at 7:32 am

A new Rune Factory game would sell me on the Switch. Glad to see real Harvest Moon doing console games again though.

4. Tubsiwub
    Tubsiwub
    January 14, 2017 at 8:03 am

I haven’t bought and played any Story of Seasons game since the Gamecube Harvest Moons… but I’m willing to start. I’m makin’ the Switch.

5. The_Mad_Monarch
    The_Mad_Monarch
    January 14, 2017 at 9:02 am

This is, oddly, now among the biggest reasons I am hyped for the Switch.

6. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 14, 2017 at 11:32 am

RIP Stardew Valley.

I’m also looking forward to trying Blazblue as well.

7. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 14, 2017 at 11:33 am

They confirmed those were coming, didn’t they?

8. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    January 14, 2017 at 11:34 am

Yes Travis, RIP to a game that made more money on PC than the newest COD game.

9. frgramar
    frgramar
    January 14, 2017 at 1:28 pm

fuck jewtendo

10. BubbaHoTep
    BubbaHoTep
    January 14, 2017 at 3:38 pm

That’s not saying much since CoD is already not very popular on PC and IW was one of the poorest selling CoD games yet on all platforms.

11. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Of course the Switch will replace the 3DS, just as the DS replaced the GBA.

12. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Just imagine what they can do with the HD rumble…

13. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Stardew Valley is coming to Switch and will likely outsell Story of Seasons by a huge margin.

14. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 14, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Nah, Stardew will bomb on a platform that isn’t controlled by meme magic (Anything that isn’t a PC)

People are going to see it as a poor man’s Rune Factory.

15. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    January 14, 2017 at 4:14 pm

It is saying much considering its an indie game compared to a AAA formerly record breaking series. COD isn’t AS popular on PC, but its sold better than most shooters not called Battlefield or Counter-Strike.

16. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    January 14, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Well Rune Factory bombed on the 3DS so…

17. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 14, 2017 at 4:16 pm

It was actually a hit. Best selling game in the series, I believe.

18. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Not with that battery life it will.

19. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 5:00 pm

You mean identical battery life to the 3DS?

20. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 5:01 pm

With the endorsement of the series creator Stardew Valley will likely outsell Story of Seasons. Lately Story of Seasons has become rather gimmicky, not really advancing the series and it’s characters have been rather weak. The newest entry has me excited, but many fans want something akin to early harvest moon,which Stardew offers.

21. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 14, 2017 at 5:01 pm

That’s not a theory. Nintendo has stated on multiple occasions that the Switch and 3DS will coexist side by side.

22. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Rune Factory 4 was the best selling in the series and turned a significant profit. The company making them didn’t run itself efficiently so they ran out of money, but the team was mostly absorbed by the publisher and is rumored to now be working on Rune Factory 5.

23. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 14, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Have you not heard Nintendo say the Switch and 3DS will coexist?

The 3DS is their most popular system. The Switch isn’t replacing it.

24. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 5:03 pm

To be fair though, my Gamestop were offering the Infinte Warfare for a dollar with trade in of select games. I seriously wish I had my phone that day, I wanted to take a picture of that promotion. It was only 2-3 weeks after it launched.

25. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 5:06 pm

3DS has a 3-5 hour life on 3DS games, 5-8 on DS games. Switch has a 2.5-6 hour life depending on how intensive the game is. Expect the low end always. Explain to me again how they have the same?

26. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm

If you don’t understand how 3-5 is essentially identical to 2.5-6, then there’s nothing anyone can do for you unless you go back to elementary school.

27. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Since I understand basic mathematics (which you apparently don’t) and battery consumption allow me to explain how those are not. When comparing battery life there are two things to consider, the average and the baseline. Baseline is easy: 3 hours for the 3DS and 2.5 for the Switch. Off the bat I can guess you are not a gamer if you don’t think 30 minutes makes a huge difference in playtime or you only play mobile games where it tends not to matter. 30 minutes in most games can mean whether you complete a boss fight or not, whether you finish a mission or not, whether you are able to get to the save point or not. 30 minutes can make all the difference in the world, especially when traveling and you might not have available to you a charger station.

Correction to my previous statement: 3DS Xl has a battery life of 3.5-5 6-10 on a DS game and 3 days in sleep mode regardless. I forgot there was a model increase when grabbing my figures and got the older model. Keep this in mind, that is 3.5 hours with 3D mode on. Closer to 4 without it on, so that’s a whole hour and a half difference. Turning off Wifi mode can also help you get closer to the 5 hour mark.

We can then assume the average of the 3DS is around 4 hours. The Switch we cannot assume anything with information, but 6 hours is likely for older games, which reach up to the low end of the 3DS. With the low end being for resource intense games and wifi enabled. It’s safe to guess the switch will have an average life of 3 hours. A whole hour shorter than the 3DS.

Perhaps you should have paid attention in any math class. Or maybe not fanatically defend a product as if it is representational of your own self worth because they speaks more of your lack of value than the quality of the product itself. Food for thought.

28. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

They said that about the DS and GBA’s relationship.

29. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    January 14, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Such a big hit the series got cancelled and the company folded over the following year…

30. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Just like when the DS came out, they’re only saying that to hedge their bets until they see if the Switch succeeds or not. If it takes off, they’ll kill off the 3DS in a couple of years.

31. Nagato
    Nagato
    January 14, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Wondering if this will be the game to take the series multiplatform in response to Stardew’s success, or whether the Elevens will once again be so slow it’ll only be with the next game.

Then again, given that this is still the same series which even in this decade still takes up to over a year just to get released in Europe, it wouldn’t entirely surprise me to never see SoS hit PC and PS4 at all.

32. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 14, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I’ve heard of unconfirmed reports that the mainline series – that is, the 3DS games – was going to be discontinued in favour of spin-off titles ad infinitum. If I was more proficient in Japanese and could read all of Takaki’s Tweets, I would love to confirm this for everyone, buuuuut…

33. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 14, 2017 at 10:49 pm

1) The Developer folded because of financial mismanagement. It actually turned a nice profit (for the publisher)

2) Series is not cancelled and the publisher has been teasing 5 for a few months now. It’s made by the same team, but they’ve been absorbed into the Publisher now after the developer went bankrupt.

34. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Those are both handhelds. The switch is a tablet sized console that wouldn’t fit in anyone’s pants.

35. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Try putting the Switch in your pocket when it comes out.

36. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 14, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Try looking up size comparison pictures before saying something stupid. With the controllers detached, it’s approximately the size of a New 3DS XL.

Hell, why not go tell the countless people who take an iPad everywhere that their iPad isn’t portable?

37. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 14, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Yeah, nice one.

So where are the controllers going to go? Your backpack? Because EVERYONE uses those.

Not very portable if you have to stop and put together a machine instead of just reaching into your pocket.

The 3DS won’t be phased out by this, but keeping being ignorant.

38. Matz
    Matz
    January 15, 2017 at 3:05 am

Boob-Touching feature confirmed!?*

*Feature removed from NA and EU versions

39. Matz
    Matz
    January 15, 2017 at 3:11 am

Interesting to see Blazblue, the first time the main series hits a Nintendo system (And please don’t try to correct me, I’m gonna pretend that the 3DS port of CS never existed), hope it’s Central Fiction, after the game bombed really bad I guess that ArcSys could get some extra money with a Switch port

40. Sphericaljosh
    Sphericaljosh
    January 15, 2017 at 3:12 am

Not that I know of but that would be awesome if they did.

41. Zuxs13
    Zuxs13
    January 17, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Replacing the 3DS? We knew it would have both handheld and home console support for a long time now. But this thing is way to expensive to replace a dedicated handheld.

42. Melissa Reynolds
    Melissa Reynolds
    March 19, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Maybe they will make rune factory 5 for switch. I can hope

43. RobertoandWhitney Gadvay
    RobertoandWhitney Gadvay
    April 18, 2017 at 12:28 am

Wow well said! And I have a Switch when I play Zelda it might give me two hours. My 3DS battery last way longer!!! I love the switch but I defiantly love my 3DS as well. And I personally don’t want them to do away with the Nintendo 3DS!!!

44. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    April 18, 2017 at 3:22 am

I heard from a friend recently that the Switch doesn’t even charge up faster than it’s batteries drain while playing games. I was mind blown by how absolutely horrible the technology was. I might get one, but it’s going to be Gen 3 with all the sweet games and none of the downsides.

45. Pernion
    Pernion
    April 19, 2017 at 11:01 pm

I highly doubt that the switch will be able to play 3ds games, unless 3ds titles are modified to play on switch the same way they did to the zelda games from 64.

46. Pernion
    Pernion
    April 19, 2017 at 11:04 pm

I don’t like the style of Stardew Valley, i like games that are more cutesy (Dunno if that’s a real word but whatever) like harvest moon

47. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    April 20, 2017 at 11:01 am

Try story of seasons trio of towns. It’s pretty good.

48. JinsanSama
    JinsanSama
    May 1, 2017 at 8:46 am

uncle slick i bet u regret ur comments now that you know how very well portable the switch is? And how not huge she is as well? XD

49. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    May 1, 2017 at 11:36 am

Nah, it’s as portable as I thought it would be. Doesn’t fit in your pocket, and that’s all that matters.

When you need an external case to carry it in, it kind of defeats the point.

I’ll stick with my 3DS that has more than one game on it, and can fit in my pants.

50. FrostyHugs
    FrostyHugs
    January 12, 2018 at 10:41 am

“The DS will not replace the Gameboy.”
    -Nintendo
    How does it feel to be so young? They’re not going to support the old system forever.

51. FrostyHugs
    FrostyHugs
    January 12, 2018 at 10:42 am

“2.5 hours for games like Zelda is totally OK guise!”
    -Nintoddlers

52. FrostyHugs
    FrostyHugs
    January 12, 2018 at 10:45 am

Irrelevant, sales dictate the future here. This is a clear cut case of history repeating you mindless goon.

53. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 12, 2018 at 10:58 am

“3-5 hours is great for 3DS, but totally unplayable for Switch!”
    – Bitter 3DS clingers

54. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 12, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Wow, you really responded to a year old comment. Nothing better to do, mate? Don’t know how old you are, but I’m in my late 20s. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Nobody said they’re going to support if forever. They did, however say it would be supported throughout 2018 by them. That’s not including 3rd party. The Vita still has games getting released on it to this day even though Sony dropped support.

How does it feel to be you?

55. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    January 12, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Fuck right off, cunt. This comment is over a year old. Are you 50 or something? Don’t know how to work the internet box?

Do some fucking thinking before you mindlessly make a dickheaded comment like this again.

PS, you still can’t fit a Switch in your Pocket.