Starbound Dev Working on Two New Games, First is “Advance Wars Meets Fire Emblem”

Now that Starbound has finally left Early Access, Chucklefish has announced they’re working on two new games.

The news comes via Chucklefish Games CEO Finn “Tiyuri” Brice, who teased they were working on two new games.

The first game to be teased is what they’re describing as “Advance Wars meets Fire Emblem, with online multiplayer, on PC.”

As this was teased months ago and has now resurfaced with Brice saying “Chucklefish back to work!” alongside the above image, it’s safe to say this is going to be their first of the two new games.

You can get an idea of how the game will look in a short teaser, found below:

1. Ardens Anima
    Ardens Anima
    January 3, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I very much approve of this.

2. KoriCongo
    KoriCongo
    January 3, 2017 at 4:42 pm

>Advance Wars meet Fire Emblem
    I…what? What?!
    I get that they are the same genre, but those have two entirely different design ethos! And if you are just gonna make AW in a fantasy setting, then that’ll just be boring as sin.

*Sigh* …So when’s the inevitable early access campaign?

3. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    January 3, 2017 at 4:43 pm

i only hope it doesnt take 3 millennia in early access to finish

4. Gaspar
    Gaspar
    January 3, 2017 at 4:55 pm

To be fair it was a very successful early access, Starbound is out and good now — And the game was feature rich from early on, which can’t be said for similar full games out there… *cough* No man Sky *cough*

5. Gaspar
    Gaspar
    January 3, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Never played Advanced Wars, but it seems nice, and I`m a fan of Chucklefish`s previous work, so looking forward to it.

6. Professor_Icepick
    Professor_Icepick
    January 3, 2017 at 4:58 pm

“Advance Wars meets Fire Emblem”
    hahahaha what the fuck

It’s Street Fighter meets Darkstalkers! Sonic the Hedgehog meets Ristar! Galaga meets Galaxian!

7. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 3, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Advance Wars meet Fire Emblem?

Umm wasn’t Advance Wars created as a futuristic Fire Emblem?

8. Lucky
    Lucky
    January 3, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Opposite. Famicom Wars (basically the first Advance Wars) was created first on the NES. Fire Emblem was created as a mix between that and an RPG.

9. CoarseHock
    CoarseHock
    January 3, 2017 at 5:18 pm

And idiots will give these incompetant fucks money all over again.

10. Lucky
    Lucky
    January 3, 2017 at 5:20 pm

It just looks like Fire Emblem but with Advance Wars’ air, ground and sea troops. I doubt they’ll pull this off, since Starbound sucked, but I won’t write it off until after it’s released. Which would most likely be in 3-4 years.

11. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    January 3, 2017 at 5:23 pm

“Starbound Dev”

Into the trash it goes…

12. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    January 3, 2017 at 5:25 pm

“Good” is subjective.
    Starbound 1.0 is just all of the content they made previously and wiped out, but didn’t want to throw away, so they blended it into a slurry and poured it all over a boring, underwhelming “scan everything” game mechanic and called it done.
    They’ve changed directions so many times, it’s a miracle the game is coherent at all. Suffice to say, I’m not thrilled with the way it ended up. Especially the stupid pink moon ghosts.

13. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    January 3, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Lovely. So it will be one of those “strategy games” where there’s no actual strategy; you have to do everything exactly right, turn by turn, or you lose.
    The lack of strategic flexibility and alternative tactical approaches is the weakest part of both AW and FE. If you screw up once, that’s it. Might as well restart until you figure out the single way the game will allow you to win.

14. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 3, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Oh really? Didn’t know there was one before the GBA one.

15. Ephrain Estrella
    Ephrain Estrella
    January 3, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Dammit, you’re right.

16. Lucky
    Lucky
    January 3, 2017 at 7:33 pm

The wonders of Wikipedia and google. There are a few “Wars” games before the first Advance. I guess they just kept Advance since “DS Wars” or “GameCube Wars” wouldn’t have a nice ring to it.

17. LockeCole
    LockeCole
    January 3, 2017 at 7:41 pm

So a top down Valkyria Chronicles?

18. Nagato
    Nagato
    January 3, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I hope this becomes a new trend for Chucklefish, developing or publishing much improved reimaginations of games that would otherwise be lost to some old Nintendo platforms.

19. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    January 3, 2017 at 7:59 pm

So poor people’s Harvest Moon is now improved re-imagination? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

20. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    January 3, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Wow! So much originality.

21. Nagato
    Nagato
    January 3, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Well yeah, it’s exactly what fans had been asking for the last decade or so.

22. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 3, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I don’t know how I got Stardew Valley mixed up with Starbound but when I realized it; I got a good laugh out of how this will end.

23. Shinobu
    Shinobu
    January 3, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Better have qt waifu’s in militia scrub gear. I’m thinking Metal Slug babes.

24. Adohleas
    Adohleas
    January 3, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Starbound felt boring and short. I bought it and played it with two other friends after it hit 1.0. So I don’t know if single player would have been different, however I’m not interested in playing that game for singleplayer.

25. Jack
    Jack
    January 3, 2017 at 8:34 pm

My Dick meets My Ass: the game

26. bdp
    bdp
    January 3, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Advance Wars with fantasy units is what it looks like which sounds a bit weird if it means things like mass producing dragons or something.

27. Norasuko
    Norasuko
    January 3, 2017 at 10:49 pm

You should play on easy, bro.

28. Gaspar
    Gaspar
    January 3, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Well, Starbound is content rich and above par considering the genre and alternatives, that’s a well grounded and less subjective “good” right there. I mean, if you’re that hard to please, I’d be at a loss to figure out what you would enjoy playing in the same genre.

29. Gaspar
    Gaspar
    January 3, 2017 at 11:01 pm

The story/campaign is not much to write home about, yeah. But the game is fine, certainly better and more complete than No Man Sky and good enough for me to enjoy for over 150 hours altogether, was my original point.

30. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    January 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm

31. Ice apollo
    Ice apollo
    January 4, 2017 at 10:32 pm

please be good
    I like the art style
    hopefully the do AW style combat sprites

32. PixelBuff
    PixelBuff
    January 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

Well, since Nintendo has no interest in AW anymore at least someone does. This looks pretty nice, though I’m weary of Chucklefish, wasn’t Starbound in early access for years?

33. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 7, 2017 at 2:36 am

Even the creator of Harvest Moon said Stardew Valley was a continuation of his beloved series. Fully endorsed it, so I don’t see how it’s poor mans Harvest Moon, which is now Story of Seasons.

34. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 7, 2017 at 2:37 am

Advanced Wars as a charming light strategy series that typically had some pretty good stories.

35. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    January 7, 2017 at 2:37 am

Advance Wars Combat, Fire Emblem character system is my guess. Where each one lost stays lost. I like those stakes.

36. Dr.Weird
    Dr.Weird
    January 17, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I could mass produce dragons if I wanted to, but the resulting dragon inflation would make everyone have tons of dragons so the dragon would be way less impressive.and thus less valuable. Also this is how the fed works, #endthefed #endfireemblemadvancewarshybrids