Level-5 Announce Megaton Mushashi, a New Mecha-Filled Cross Media Project

Megaton-Musashi

During their Level-5 Vision 2016 livestream, Level-5 has announced a brand new cross-media project simply titled Megaton Musashi.

Megaton Musashi is set in a world where 90% of humanity has been wiped out by an alien force, with the remaining humans piloting mechs with various transformations in order to fend off the alien invaders.

Level-5 will be collaborating with Jump in what will most likely be a brand new manga series. There will also be a new anime series as well as a toy line

Megaton Musashi is slated to release in Summer 2017 for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. Black_Bob
    Black_Bob
    July 27, 2016 at 9:14 am

Ideally another game that’s loosely based on Miyamoto Musashi (Shinmen Takezo). The name always gives me fond memories of Brave Fencer Musashi.

2. TheMaverickGamer
    TheMaverickGamer
    July 27, 2016 at 9:57 am

I don’t really get why people hold Level-5 in such a high regard. I tried to play through Ni no Kuni and found it to be an absolute bore. I had to practically force myself to finish LBX because the story was so awful, even though the gameplay was at least decent.

3. Fandangle
    Fandangle
    July 27, 2016 at 10:10 am

Because their games are always pretty solid.outside of the repetitiveness of every game that isn’t Layton their characters are well written and cute, the world’s are interesting, and they’re almost always brimming with content.if only they could fix the fact that their game play is just below average.

I feel the same way as you and I found ni no kun is game play to just be an endless boring grind, but the everything else about the game was so amazing.

4. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    July 27, 2016 at 10:54 am

I fully agree. The world DOES need more Mecha.

5. Scootinfroodie
    Scootinfroodie
    July 27, 2016 at 11:03 am

I only ever played Dark Cloud but I loved the shit out of that game. Music and art direction were great and there were enough fun and interesting ideas to keep me going. Then again that would have been when the game was new. No idea if it holds up

6. Feniks
    Feniks
    July 27, 2016 at 11:17 am

Wow original back story.

7. Narmy
    Narmy
    July 27, 2016 at 11:22 am

They were great during the PS2 era, but not anymore.

8. Bitrip
    Bitrip
    July 27, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Level-5 developed White Knight Chronicles. That’s why I love them.

9. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    July 27, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I played the game in Nipponese (pic related) before it was even announced for the west. I liked the story for being hilariously morbid and dark for a kids game/show.

Maybe the English version was censored to shit or it didn’t translate well? I know the anime was fucked massively.

10. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    July 27, 2016 at 12:54 pm

More mech games is always good. Hopefully this one gets localized. Still waiting for something on the level of MechWarrior though.

11. TheMaverickGamer
    TheMaverickGamer
    July 27, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I actually do remember playing both of them. Again, though, totally unremarkable experiences.

12. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    July 27, 2016 at 1:25 pm

LBX localization was… weird. They changed most characters names to western names and things like the Akihabara French Maid robot were translated as “Cheerleader Robot”, but nothing visual was censored at all, so you were still fighting a robot maid while everyone insisted it was a cheerleader.

Other plot points are intact, the story is still dark as fuck, people still get shot, assassination plot of the prime minister got through intact and the world leaders still get saved by history’s tinniest mechas.

Funny enough, the anime they licensed for american TV was censored as fuck though, edited so heavily they got it down to almost half the number of episodes they released in Japan and every gun got censored into pew pew laser guns.

13. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 27, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Because Ni no Kuni is a shit example of what they can or could do. Go back to the PS2 era. Dark Cloud 2 was fucking fun but the randomized dungeons kinda make the areas repetitive.

14. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 27, 2016 at 1:44 pm

It’s a cheerleader for the sack, the localization team is telling you to bed the maidbot.

Laser laser guns, the next level in the arms race; guns made out of lasers so you can shoot lasers with the option to beat people with lasers.

15. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 27, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Pray he stays just a memory with how Square is these days.

16. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 27, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Oh shit, it’s Gipsy Danger!

17. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    July 27, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hell Yeah Mechas.

18. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    July 27, 2016 at 2:51 pm

werent those games kinda meh?

19. Bitrip
    Bitrip
    July 27, 2016 at 3:24 pm

They had a cult following. As far as action RPGs go, they were pretty solid. The reason they were so good (to some people) is because they had an online multiplayer mode that was basically an MMO-lite.

20. Guin
    Guin
    July 27, 2016 at 3:32 pm

This just makes me wish they bring Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle back to life.

21. Guin
    Guin
    July 27, 2016 at 3:35 pm

It still does. Try playing it on an emulator and the cel-shading looks nicer.

22. Guin
    Guin
    July 27, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I guess Layton isn’t all that great eh?

23. Vernify
    Vernify
    July 27, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I’ll be keeping an eye on this one. We could always use more mecha in our lives.

24. Scootinfroodie
    Scootinfroodie
    July 28, 2016 at 1:45 am

“cel-shading”
    I meant the first one. I’ve been meaning to give the second a revisit as well though. I still have a PS2 and both games so it’s just a matter of motivation and momentum

25. Godmars
    Godmars
    July 28, 2016 at 2:36 am

Came off as PSO clone to me. One which the mechs didn’t even factor in.