Extended Japanese Pokemon Sun and Moon Advert is Rife With Nostalgia

Nintendo has shared a lengthy Japanese advertisement for Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon.

Featured above, the new advertisement is more of a trailer, and it’s titled simply “Your Everyday is an Adventure.”

The video shows a bunch of Japanese children playing the upcoming Nintendo 3DS game, as well as pursuing various summer activities.

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are both launching for the Nintendo 3DS on November 18th in North America and November 23rd in Europe.

, , , ,

1. Jack
    Jack
    July 13, 2016 at 9:26 am

Nintendo aint gettin me with this shit
    I took marketing 101 in highschool and vaguely remember playing to your heartstrings being a thing

2. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    July 13, 2016 at 9:29 am

Playing the nostalgia card.

3. Lzyslckr
    Lzyslckr
    July 13, 2016 at 9:30 am

And it’s working.

4. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    July 13, 2016 at 9:34 am

They release these versions nearly every year and it’s for this one are they really strong with it.
    I’d probably be more accepting of it with remake versions.

5. Extrange
    Extrange
    July 13, 2016 at 10:08 am

…What’s with the Kamen Rider poses?

6. deadeye
    deadeye
    July 13, 2016 at 10:29 am

I don’t think it’s using nostalgia, it’s just showing kids having fun.

You know, the target demographic for these games.

7. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    July 13, 2016 at 10:31 am

Notes during the advert.new pokemon advert

Option to remove hat confirmed, few hats, (I swear the kid said oh Shit but i know he didn’t), poliwag and miltank are probably on the islands (no need to trade), some sort of sync move where the in game mc does a dance and performs a special attack? I THINK??? poke-amie in some form, the most terrifying Pikachu cosplay I’ve ever seen. also the panda from one of the other games, some sorta black and white bear pokemon (that isn’t pencham or whatever his name is), eyyyy its snoop dragon again, a few shots of environments (looks like were going pokemon hunting in a volcano.) meowth, rideable pokemon, I think that was glimpse of mega evos, looks like the water types are the focus this round (lots of HM surfing),

Note: I think they’re sync attacking (the thing ash does in the new series).

8. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    July 13, 2016 at 10:32 am

I think I just got hit with the nostalgia of genuine enjoyability as a kid.

Anyway I’m stupid.

9. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    July 13, 2016 at 10:39 am

Seeing “extended” and “nostalgia” on the title I assumed they used that “Pokemon throughout the years” thing again without watching it.

10. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    July 13, 2016 at 10:41 am

Makes me wish I was a Japanese boy.

11. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    July 13, 2016 at 10:43 am

its probably this gen’s “mega evolution”. seems like it might be related to type attacks since pikachu does an attack after the pose and the 3 starters each have one as well

12. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    July 13, 2016 at 10:45 am

The Amie also seems to show you “grooming” the Pokemon (a hairdryer is shown, and there’s a button with a hairbrush on it).

You’re seen riding Tauros, and it seems to have a charging move. rideable Mamoswine in XY could smash boulders like this.

As for the pose, the guys hands are in the shape of a lightning bolt, and them Pikachu performs a move. On the SunMoon website, this is the same move shown under the “new features coming soon” (along with a picture of riding a Gogoat, and a cave). I wonder if by doing some hawaii-esque dance you can get special moves. Or if the player powered up his elec Pokemon and it used Charge Beam as it normally would.

The mega-evolution pose (if it is that) also has a new mark. Some kind of arrow sitting on a podium. While Mega evos symbol is normally the multi-colored wisp that appears above a Poke when it evos, I wonder if that symbol is for the special move dance. Judging by the blue background, and the poses near the end of the video showing off parts of the dance, I’m hedging my bets on that.

The Lapras that appears seems to have a special seat. At first It could be this is a Lapras that is part of that area (an NPC lets it ferry you across the river) as oppose to one the player owns. In the next shot, we see a Sharpedo with a harness. It seems unlikely that ALL Pokemon that can learn surf will get an overworld model, and a special harness. But perhaps a select few- much like some surfing Pokemon getting accurate overworld models in ORAS?

13. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    July 13, 2016 at 10:46 am

If they wanted to aim it for kids, they strip the combat away to rock-em sock-em endurance tests and put it on a smartphone.
    … Oh crap.

14. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    July 13, 2016 at 10:47 am

Reposted from a comment I made to someone else:

As for the pose, the guys hands are in the shape of a lightning bolt, and then Pikachu performs a move. On the SunMoon website, this is the same move shown under the “new features coming soon” (along with a picture of riding a Gogoat, and a cave). I wonder if by doing some hawaii-esque dance you can get special moves. Or if the player powered up his elec Pokemon and it used Charge Beam as it normally would.

15. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    July 13, 2016 at 10:52 am

I’ll take a rideable Feraligatr (if its even possible)

16. Sangaz
    Sangaz
    July 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Going to your grandmother’s out in the countryside with a slightly older and attractive distant relative, and he play’s pokemon?

That poor kid is wasting his childhood.

17. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    July 13, 2016 at 11:37 am

While I love video games, playing a 3DS is the last thing I’d want to do while out in a beautiful countryside like that.

18. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Really grasping for that audience who couldn’t care less anymore.

19. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 13, 2016 at 1:09 pm

So the anime is bleeding into the games….well at least this makes it a lot easier to totally cut ties.

20. Guin
    Guin
    July 13, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Since when was eevee capturable?

21. Guin
    Guin
    July 13, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Not everyone can live a life of a hentai doujin :(

22. Smug
    Smug
    July 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

The power of poke-autism

23. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    July 13, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Sure it’s showing that, but an older Japanese person will see this and be like, “ahh, my summer days of youth” and start crying :3

24. Yabloko Molloco San
    Yabloko Molloco San
    July 13, 2016 at 4:14 pm

It’s like watching some xmas movie when you live in Tropico.

25. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    July 13, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Eevee is very easy to capture in X & Y.

26. Dr. Roswell. W
    Dr. Roswell. W
    July 13, 2016 at 6:21 pm

>A Japanese person wishing for their youth?

Never seen that before.

27. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    July 13, 2016 at 11:12 pm

>I remembered a childhood love

It’s too early for the feels, Pokemon. Goddamn.

28. KromeDragon
    KromeDragon
    July 14, 2016 at 11:17 am

Nintendo needs to liven up and take risks with Pokemon like they did with Black and White. Not Gimmicky crap like Mega evolution that ruined evolution for Pokemon that needed true permanent evolution. The last ones a played were black and black 2 because that was last time i saw innovation. It had constantly animated sprites, pushed the graphics of the ds, had older more mature characters and it was the first Pokemon game with a real story in my opinion. It was fresh, had character development and a dark side to the story. X & Y had what 3d models and some gimmicky battle modes like sky and horde battles?