Shadow of the Beast Remake Comes with Original Amiga Version

Sony Interactive Entertainment and Heavy Spectrum have announced that the upcoming Shadow of the Beast remake will come with a nice little bonus.

Fans who pick up the game will also receive the original 1989 Amiga game, which is fully emulated within the PlayStation 4 game. Featured above, you can enjoy a new developer diary which goes over the history of the notoriously challenging game.

It’s also worth mentioning the game recently got a physical edition confirmed, for Asia, which includes both English and Chinese subtitles. You can find that via Play-Asia, for $19.99.

Shadow of the Beast is launching for PlayStation 4 on May 17th.

May 6, 2016 at 3:41 pm

It’s nice of them to include the original. I’m looking forward to the new game. It feels like a 2D God of War game.

2. Francesco Azzena
    Francesco Azzena
    May 6, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Oh good, they included a rom downloaded from some random site.. Good..

3. strifeo
    strifeo
    May 6, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Sarcasm? They’re the devs of Shadow of the Beast..its direct no online ROM crap needed

4. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    May 7, 2016 at 1:18 am

I had no idea Shadow of the Beast was released in the 80s. The game looks so much better than most Genesis games and a couple of Arcade titles in the early 90s.

Anyway, if the remake sucks, it’s nice I will still be able to beat down Lovecraftian monsters just like the old days.

5. Galbador
    Galbador
    May 7, 2016 at 3:52 am

Same as Nintendo, same as Sony… what is your point? Besides, those are the people, who made the first game, so your argument makes no sense.

6. Galbador
    Galbador
    May 7, 2016 at 3:52 am

You know, I wonder why this has to be as gory as possible, if the original game wasn’t. Because realism? If this is the answer, then people really lost the idea of video games forever… fun and entertainment. This is just sad.

At least, there are three good things with this one negative one for me:

1. The original game is included.
    2. The original Soundtrack can be unlocked.
    3. The Boxart is made by Roger Dean again.

At least, those three points can make this one big negative point good again and since this game is that cheap (hopefully not the game itself), I guess I will buy the physical version of it. 15 to 20 bucks are not much and acceptable.

May 7, 2016 at 6:04 am

I don’t think that the game being gory means it would be no fun there are plenty of games that are both – Mortal Kombat, Splatter House, God of War, Carmageddon etc.

The original wasn’t gory because it couldn’t really be on the Amiga. There were plenty of elements to suggest that it wanted to be like the bloody spikes and the grotesque monsters.

8. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    May 7, 2016 at 11:31 am

For one am happy that technology finally caught up with what was in the developers’ head in terms of visuals. Hopefully this time the game won’t feel as clunky as the original games though.

9. dathip
    dathip
    May 7, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Awesome the amiga version comes with it!

10. Galbador
    Galbador
    May 7, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, that could be. I guess such scenes just bore me because the look so fake (overuse of blood fontains and too many organs).

11. Francesco Azzena
    Francesco Azzena
    May 9, 2016 at 10:51 am

It seems to me you hadn’t understood.. They probably lost the original source or they don’t bother to port the original to another hardware.. It’s lazy manner of doing things using a disk image from an Amiga floppy for emulation purpose on a commercial product. It’s not very professional.

12. Francesco Azzena
    Francesco Azzena
    May 9, 2016 at 10:52 am

Like I said above:
    “They probably lost the original source or they don’t bother to port the
    original to another hardware.. It’s lazy manner of doing things using a
    disk image from an Amiga floppy for emulation purpose on a commercial
    product. It’s not very professional.”

13. Galbador
    Galbador
    May 9, 2016 at 10:57 am

Oh, I understood you only to well. But do you think that they would lose a game they made? They keep copies in safes for the case of a compilation or as a bonus. And yes, they can’t use the original form, so they reconstruct it for the new engine.

14. Francesco Azzena
    Francesco Azzena
    May 9, 2016 at 11:44 am

Many developers have lost their games source code.. It isn’t uncommon.. And I repeat as I said in my first post with sarcasm.. I don’t really think they ported the original Amiga game from original source code or dumped reversed code from an Amiga disc image.. I think they lazely included a rom not dumped by them with a bad checksum and an emulator, most likely WinUAE so they even breeched the GNU GPL licence, and if they did precisely that it’s even worse because they will be obliged to release the source code of the NEW game because of the breaking of the GNU GPL licence lol.. Like Leaf (To Heart, White Album, Utawarerumono, etc) was forced to release their engine and game source code because they included Xvid that’s a GPL software in their commercial products..
    “Leaf used the XviD video codec in several games: Aruru to Asobo!!, Tears to Tiara, Kusari, and ToHeart2 X Rated. Since XviD is free software, released under the GPL,
    Leaf was forced to release the source code to those games under the
    same license. One still required the game data to actually play the
    games with the source code.[1][2] In addition, a free software engine called xlvns was developed soon after Leaf released its first three visual novels.”

15. Galbador
    Galbador
    May 9, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I see what you mean. In the end, we have to wait and see how this will look like. But in the end, I believe both parties, the one who likes the new version and the one who likes the old version, will get what they like. A win-win situation for all of them.