Nintendo 3DS Emulator Citra Runs 3DS Games at Much Higher Resolutions

If you’ve been following the emulation scene in any capacity, you might have heard of Citra, a Nintendo 3DS emulator.

Recently, the team has successfully implemented Texture Forwarding to Citra, which not only allows users to play at much higher resolutions, but also allows the games to run better.

You can view some screenshots from games running Texture Forwarding in the gallery below.

There is currently no stable version of Citra that exists, but the developers often update with nightly builds, which you can download over on their website.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 1:50 pm

you guys just found out this existed? git gud at your emulation knowledge.

2. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 1:54 pm

my wish is for citra, rpcs3 and xenia to become as good as dolphin. actually, that’s my wish for all emulators.

3. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 3, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Best thing to come out of this is more translations. I can’t imagine how annoying it must be for translators to hack/translate 3DS roms as it is now.

4. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    May 3, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I just want an Xbox emulator to exist. If it’s actually good then well, that’s just gravy.

5. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Damn, that looks crisp AF.

6. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 2:13 pm

xqemu exists it’s just slow as fuck.

7. BuzzardZ
    BuzzardZ
    May 3, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Praise Citra! These people are Heroes. :D

8. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    May 3, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Well now I have ZERO reason to support Nintendo as of now.

9. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 2:21 pm

good. nintendo fangoys on suicide watch

10. Joel Leonheart
    Joel Leonheart
    May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Huh interesting :3

11. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

My main interest in these are playing JP 3DS games and patches. Don’t know about the online capability of this, but it’s not like I’m missing much in that department.

12. Nagato
    Nagato
    May 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Nah, I’d argue the best thing to come out of this is being able to play these games with a proper controller now; the 3DS’ circle pad is absolute cancer.

Translations and uncensorings are a very welcome extra, but the decline in input hardware from a company that made some some of the best controllers and handhelds up to the DS Phat in 2005 is much more offensive to me as a gamer.

13. Gillman
    Gillman
    May 3, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I mean, agreed, but for different reasons. Also…. Zero stable versions…. So… Not because of this.

14. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    May 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Nice. Now I can play Fire Emblem IF with an unbutchered translation AND in 1080p

Hot damn, god bless fan translators and god bless emulators.

15. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 3:36 pm

the pad’s actually okay once you get used to it but yeah, I’ll pick being able to use any controller I want over that shitty circlepad anyday.

16. catazxy
    catazxy
    May 3, 2016 at 3:41 pm

oh, the way the game was intended to look and play from the start…

17. GreyAlarm
    GreyAlarm
    May 3, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Can’t wait for the frame rates to be stable, then I can finally play Bravely Second in it’s unmutilated glory

18. SuuLoliBoob
    SuuLoliBoob
    May 3, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I would fine this cool, if i didn’t already hack my 3DS…

19. Joe
    Joe
    May 3, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Is it even possible to make a 3DS game look good on anything larger than a 3DS screen?

20. Jack
    Jack
    May 3, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Does IF work on this though?
    is it like that Wii-U emulator that just explodes if you don’t play mario?

21. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

psp games looks fantastic with ppsspp on my 60 inch tv. all it needs are good anti aliasing options.

22. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    May 3, 2016 at 4:33 pm

This looks pretty cool on some games. Others (like that Bravely screenshot)… look pretty poor.

I like to emulate older games with crt filters at native res myself (RetroArch has some gorgeous stuff for that) but I could see myself occasionally trying this out.

23. Jack
    Jack
    May 3, 2016 at 4:35 pm

(Also how would you even get Fates/If on this thing)

24. Evropi
    Evropi
    May 3, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Then start working on them! Open source software doesn’t grow on trees, it needs YOUR input to succeed. If you can’t program, at least compile a debug build and submit crash logs.

25. Narmy
    Narmy
    May 3, 2016 at 6:01 pm

And a lot of games don’t even let you use the d-pad for menus. The Gamecube had the same problem, I wish Nintendo would learn that analog controls suck for menus.

May 3, 2016 at 7:09 pm

If its not ready then I can’t trade my 3ds for meth yet.

27. TeLin特林
    TeLin特林
    May 3, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Both Citra and the Wii-U emulator will improve with time.

28. InkBrush
    InkBrush
    May 3, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Looks like I will be needing another 3Ds just to dump the 3Ds games for this.

29. GuyNumber1
    GuyNumber1
    May 3, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Someone probably uploaded a rom

30. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    May 3, 2016 at 8:16 pm

DON’T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS!

31. DarkArk
    DarkArk
    May 3, 2016 at 9:09 pm

The fact that they didn’t keep the original textures for the Mirror Shield and the original music for the Fire Temple is the reason I didn’t get a 3DS for 3D Ocarina of Time. Nintendo apparently didn’t think it did, but hey that keeps a few hundred more dollars in my pocket.

Screwing with the original when you are selling based on nostalgia in the first place seems kinda screwy.

32. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 3, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I haven’t played anything that requires the circle pad pro, or the horrifying nub on my N3DS, but it sure as hell doesn’t seem fun at all to use.

33. scemar
    scemar
    May 3, 2016 at 10:18 pm

This should not be a surprise since it was the exact same case with the Nintendo DS.

Emulated games looked MUCH MUCH better, and not even thanks to any hardware processing improvements, simply a different screen made the same game look better.

The truth is, the DS, and the 3DS too, have terrible garbage fisher price toy tier screens.

If Nintendo gave a damn about dedicated players that have been following their company since its beginnings they would have offered an elite DS/3DS system with a better screen quality.

And an unfortunate (or fortunate? ) second effect is that many games will actually be better if played on the emulator too.
    That’s actually why I never bothered with a couple of 3DS games, because I knew emulation would be better someday.

34. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 3, 2016 at 10:20 pm

How the fuck did this make it in the original?

35. Darkrulershadowlord007
    Darkrulershadowlord007
    May 3, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Remember that…

36. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I wonder if the nx will be harder to emulate because so far, nintendo’s shit has been easy to emulate. emulator contributors even says nintendo’s shit is easy to emulate.

37. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 11:55 pm

someone uploaded the special edition of fates on nicoblog but it’s the censored english release.

38. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 11:56 pm

if I was smart enough to code…

39. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 11:58 pm

once I get a new gaming computer, I plan to submit crash logs and become a tester for a ton of in development emulators

40. chocodino
    chocodino
    May 4, 2016 at 1:07 am

emulator allow you to increase the internal resolution and add post-processing [anti-aliasing, etc], therefore with a powerful enough computer, any game will look better on an emulator, no matter the size of the screen

41. Zero Kurapika
    Zero Kurapika
    May 4, 2016 at 2:49 am

It runs like shit unless you have a monster pc i tell you.

Most things are unplayable at the moment, so it’s not an alternative for a real console at least for a couple more of years.

42. Steven T.
    Steven T.
    May 4, 2016 at 3:14 am

Something like Kid Icarus Uprising could REALLY benefit from this. The jaggies themselves could kill anyone in that game.

43. Juan Andrés Valencia
    Juan Andrés Valencia
    May 4, 2016 at 4:59 am

Fangoys? Oy vey!

44. Feniks
    Feniks
    May 4, 2016 at 7:48 am

Infinite Space soon?

45. Feniks
    Feniks
    May 4, 2016 at 7:49 am

Shut it down the goyim know!

46. Luka ?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    Luka ?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    May 4, 2016 at 11:34 am

what translation

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

47. patyos
    patyos
    May 4, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Would be nice to play Kid Icarus Uprising at 1080p

48. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    May 4, 2016 at 6:56 pm

This is the same Nintendo and swore it was the time for 3D and that having that feature would be a huge selling point for the successor to one of the most successful game systems in history. The DS’ resolution was a absolute product of it’s time increasing it would have murdered it’s battery life and that’s considering how piss poor the original DS’ battery life was before the Lite was introduced. If they hadn’t of went 3D and instead had a screen that pushed actual 800 × 240 the 3DS could have had a decently sharp display and better battery life thanks to the 3D display requiring more from the backlight.

49. Joe
    Joe
    May 4, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for the insights guys.

50. BaronKrause
    BaronKrause
    May 5, 2016 at 11:06 am

I think someone un censored the first Bravely Default as well which most likely has to be run on an emulator.

51. Julian Hardaway
    Julian Hardaway
    May 6, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Like alucard, I have been in a self imposed slumber in my coffin as far as emulators are concerned. I don’t even frequently visit the sites anymore. Just waiting for the next generation of emulators. The time is coming…. 360, 3ds, Wii u and ps3 are right around the corner…… just a little more patience for more compatible builds and I will be back.

52. farias
    farias
    May 9, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Maybe help them keep making games?

53. Hernando Vallejo
    Hernando Vallejo
    May 9, 2016 at 6:10 pm

The circlejerk in the comments is just amazing. What a faggot-ridden ratboy generation.

54. Monster Man
    Monster Man
    August 19, 2016 at 6:02 pm

It’s OK us GOYS know what the greedy Jews are up to anyway! They have the US just how they planned it when they came over, Sex, Perverts, Money lending shops on every street, Mass Immigration, Gluttony, Manipulation of the media they own to make us do their wars for them. Before 9/11 the Jews owned EVERY bank in the world apart from Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria etc… Now they own them too! Jews have been the only “Race” hated throughout history, they were the downfall of Rome. Because of them the UK (where I live) is FULL of foreigner’s, In London White British are the minority now FACT!! Muslims aren’t terrorists, their dirty breeders yeah but were never terrorists until the Jews and their media propaganda. I’m in the Army and at the moment we are constantly training for “Domestic warfare” Just last week were training in an old disused army base that’s like a little village and we were going door to door rounding up civilians and confiscating weapons, tagging them and moving on. Our training has totally changed from desert, gorilla warfare, IED’s etc.. to almost “Police style” combat. We have all just been issued non lethal weapons so if you ask me something’s coming???

55. Gregory
    Gregory
    February 21, 2018 at 7:59 am

Yes, i can play 3ds games, nintendo rocks. And yes you can play too. If you need and wan`t to play nintendo 3ds emaultor for android, themagicboxltd.com is you answear.