Medabots Developer Delta Arts is Shut Down

medabots 9 05-03-16-1

Medabots developer Delta Arts has officially shut down as of last month.

The Japanese studio confirmed the news over on their official website, stating they’ve closed their doors at the end of April, 2016. Their latest game within the series was Medabots 9.

Delta Arts was responsible for all of the mainline (numbered) Medabots games, excluding the most recent game, Medabots: Girls Mission.

1. Token
    Token
    May 3, 2016 at 11:31 am

RIP…but this picture looks really good!

2. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    May 3, 2016 at 11:37 am

This is how the game market works.
    You release increasingly bad games that don’t make enough money, you get shut down.
    You release increasingly good games that don’t make enough money, you get shut down.

3. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 11:42 am

Goddammit… I fucking love Medabots…

4. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 3, 2016 at 11:46 am

Too many fucking faggots in Japan would rather play pachinko/social/mobile blue ocean casual shovelware dogshit. 2019 looks grim for gaming tbh.

5. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 11:50 am

The Japanese millennial generation is like that, they just fucking love their stupid pachinko machines and shitty mobile games while cashing in loads of real money for micro-transactions.

6. InkBrush
    InkBrush
    May 3, 2016 at 11:57 am

How come the innocent have the shut down while scummy developers like Comcept gets tot stay up?

7. Iwanttoplaymedabots
    Iwanttoplaymedabots
    May 3, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Maybe this would not happen if the games were released outside of japan

8. deadeye
    deadeye
    May 3, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I dunno, I’ve played a couple of these Medabots games, and they’re the exact sort of games I expect to find in shovelware bins in game stores.

You are right that most people in Japan prefer mobile games (although people in the west generally prefer mobile games as well, but whatever), but I don’t think this is a case of good games not getting the recognition they deserve. They’re mediocre RPGs at best.

Although even in that regard, it doesn’t seem fair. I’d rather take a Medabots RPG over more shitty Neptunia games. I blame shitty otakus that only buy shit with fanservice. I bet the new Girls Mission is gonna sell well.

9. Chk991
    Chk991
    May 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

>Delta Arts was responsible for all of the mainline (numbered) Medabots games,
    This is actually incorrect, they are responsible for the mainline games after and including Medarot DS.

10. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 12:48 pm

The best Medabots games were the ones published by Natsume for the GBA, especially Medabots AX: Rokusho/Metabee ver.

11. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    May 3, 2016 at 12:48 pm

damn, I’ve only known about the anime. I had no idea this was a long going franchise…

12. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, it’s been an ongoing franchise since 1997 in Japan.

13. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 3, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I was more generalizing than strictly targeting Medabots, but anyway.

Medabots over Nep?

14. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    May 3, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I find it incredibly depressing that Medabots had to resort to “let’s just plaster waifus everywhere” like it is now.

15. Lepito
    Lepito
    May 3, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Blaming neptunia for being one of the sole survivors in a dead market in Japan lol

16. deadeye
    deadeye
    May 3, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Medabots belong in the bargain bin.

Neps belong in a dumpster fire.

17. Nagato
    Nagato
    May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I hate to say this, as I enjoyed the GBA RPG and the other games looked pretty good as well, but: Good riddance.

This dead end is simply the inevitable result of not pushing to have your games localized for the Western market, and ported to every viable platform for it to be on there.

18. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Let’s be real. How big is the Medabots overseas fandom?

19. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I’d rather Nepnep because at least the meta humor can be funny. Medabots is just a straight up kids franchise using chibified Virtua On bots.

20. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Pachinko is for old people. Try going into a parlor and you’d think it’s part of a geriatric ward. Also, a tobacco lounge if you’re into that.

21. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Hah! If only it was that black and white.

22. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Actually no, Pachinko is played by both old and young nowadays. Just why do you think Nintendo added their Pachinko-like “Miitomo Drop” mini-game to the app?

23. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

How young are we talking about? Maybe college ages yes, but the actual pachinko machines are restricted to 18+ iirc.

And an app =/= real pachinko. I can say little kids are now into blackjack because they have mobile apps for it available for everyone.

24. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Obviously 18+ due to the restrictions. I consider “young” until at least 35. Also have you even seen Miitomo drop? It’s pachinko but with a Mii instead of a ball.

25. JCTXS
    JCTXS
    May 3, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Heresy!

26. Iwanttoplaymedabots
    Iwanttoplaymedabots
    May 3, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I think its pretty big but nobody really talks about it because there has been nothing new for years, at least for us.

And even if it is not that big, games Yo Kai Watch and LBX are getting a lot of time on the Nintendo directs, I don’t see why they cant try with Medabots.

27. JonathanisPrimus
    JonathanisPrimus
    May 3, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Yep, the company currently known as Natsume-Atari developed Medarot 1-5 (alongside a few spinoffs/remakes).

28. alterku
    alterku
    May 3, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I kinda wanted to play that last game with waifus in it.

29. Smug
    Smug
    May 3, 2016 at 3:13 pm

You could say the same about the western audience too and the whole MOBA/AAA/mobile shit

30. Guin
    Guin
    May 3, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I’m sure it’s one of Nintendo’s sleazy attempts to go around the gambling issue.

31. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    May 3, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Probably, because that Miitomo Drop mini-game is rage-inducing and money-draining.

32. Truck
    Truck
    May 3, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Unless you’re Platinum Games.

33. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 7:01 pm

That’s cuz they didn’t care to localize any of them except like… 1 or 2 of the 9+ games.

34. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

It was big when the show was still airing. I remember loving the Medabots toys because you could swap their parts around.

35. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 7:03 pm

So who made Girls Mission? This article doesn’t bother to mention.

36. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Chinese investor funds.

37. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Japan actually gets more “video games” than we do, compared to all the “cinematic experience” shit Western devs have been fixated on.

Also we in the West as “Smug” there said, are no better– just take a glance at most-viewed streams on Twitch right now. Hundreds of thousands of people JUST watching Dota2 and League.

38. deadeye
    deadeye
    May 3, 2016 at 7:24 pm

I’m bored of meta humor, honestly.

There’s nothing wrong with making games for kids. Pokemon is made for kids but still manages to be pretty successful and (sort of) interesting.

39. Casey
    Casey
    May 3, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Maybe if they released a game out in the west they would have made some money.

40. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Really? I think the new game looks adorable. If you don’t find any waifus you personally like, there are lots of other games and genres with no waifubait at all…

41. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Just to be clear, that “meta humor” wasn’t in the original Nep JP scripts. That shit was all added by localizers and it’s pure cancer. Yeah I just LOVE Gamergate references in my Nepnep!

42. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 3, 2016 at 8:11 pm

The popularity of pachislot in Japan is more a result of gambling being totally illegal. Hence these ‘game corners’ with pachi and etc, are the closest form of ‘legal gambling’ they have.

The head of Konami, incidentally, has ties to the Yakuza (organized japanese crime) and has been a vocal supporter of legalizing gambling in Japan…

43. scemar
    scemar
    May 3, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I’d say they’d need a western release and a steam release on top of that to actually have any decent chance to make some money.

And give them a few sales and hope there’s enough people that get interested in that niche.

44. Guin
    Guin
    May 4, 2016 at 9:43 am

I don’t care about that. Instead, I focus on the concepts and premise of Neptunia. Let’s not blanket the meta with stupid rewrites now.

45. Krimhelm
    Krimhelm
    May 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Or, or OORR.
    The Medabots game have been dogshit. LBX is a better Medabots game than Medabots.

46. Krimhelm
    Krimhelm
    May 4, 2016 at 12:49 pm

That requires leaving the basement and doing actual research.

47. Krimhelm
    Krimhelm
    May 4, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Medabots has been doing bad since FOREVER, let’s blame phones.

48. Troy Tarling
    Troy Tarling
    May 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm

“Let’s not blanket the meta with stupid rewrites now.”
    I don’t even know what this means.

I’m telling you the english script has no resemblance to the original, and the localizers in fact go out of their way in several places to insult the demographic that buys the Nep games in the first place, like the aforementioned #GG “”joke””

49. Guin
    Guin
    May 4, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I was talking about the scripts, which you can just get around with patches. The game itself is fine in my book and I can into moon so I care even less about dem maymays in the gaijin versions.

50. DynastyStar
    DynastyStar
    May 4, 2016 at 8:39 pm

There was still Medabots games coming out?

51. Guin
    Guin
    May 5, 2016 at 8:24 am

The only reason why I’m still in the Pokemon wagon is to check out the new cute trainers and gym leaders.