Nintendo’s NX Console Set to Launch Worldwide in March 2017

nintendo 06-30-15-1

Nintendo has announced the release window for their new code-named NX console.

The new console will launch in March of 2017.

“For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed ‘NX’ with a brand-new concept,” Nintendo said in a press release. “NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.”

Nintendo will not be unveiling NX at this year’s E3, instead they’ll reveal it sometime later this year.

The new Legend of Zelda game was recently confirmed to be launching for the NX as well as its previously confirmed WiI U release – at a later date in 2017.

1. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    April 27, 2016 at 8:39 am

No thanks nintendo. After your practices with xenoblade x i doubt ill get a nintendo console for a long long time

2. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    April 27, 2016 at 8:40 am

So if they’re not going to reveal the NX at E3, they’ll be revealing it at, what, a Direct?

I have no idea what the fuck Nintendo’s doing anymore.

3. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    April 27, 2016 at 8:48 am

Man, first Nintendo console I won’t be buying in years due to NoA bullshit.

April 27, 2016 at 8:56 am

They are missing he holiday season, which is a bit strange. Let’s see if Nintendo learned from their mistakes and at least make the console region free.

5. Smug
    Smug
    April 27, 2016 at 9:03 am

With the lack of actual support from 3rd party games/devs, region locking and current bullshit of games being censored/altered to fit the insane politically-correct agenda from the West, the NX is going to be a disaster.

6. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:07 am

I just hope they decide to go with NX or another cool name and not name it “Wii U Next” or some shit like that since ever since the Wii, they keep adding stuff to the console’s name.

7. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

Wii U Next is exactly like something they’d actually do lol, so I hope they pick something better too.

8. Guin
    Guin
    April 27, 2016 at 9:09 am

I swear to gods, if the NX is region locked one more time…

9. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    April 27, 2016 at 9:12 am

Wonder if this thing will have region lock too

10. landlock
    landlock
    April 27, 2016 at 9:12 am

Considering they went backwards with there handhelds I could see them doing it again if I’m honest.

11. Raspberry
    Raspberry
    April 27, 2016 at 9:15 am

Censortendo can shove it up their collective asses. No way i’m buying anything Shitendo ever again.

12. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    April 27, 2016 at 9:17 am

I would not be surprised in the slightest if it was. If it is region locked, I’m just not going to even bother with the NX.

13. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:20 am

Ugh, I hope so too blackice…

14. Nani Sore
    Nani Sore
    April 27, 2016 at 9:23 am

Eh NoA is just icing on the cake for me.
    They have been dropping the ball in a lot cases.
    Good that I still haven´t bought a PS4 ~the PS4K should be out by then as well :3c

15. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    April 27, 2016 at 9:23 am

March? Well okay then. Another shitty E3 as well it seems.

16. Nani Sore
    Nani Sore
    April 27, 2016 at 9:24 am

Impressive ….this one might be even worse than the last one for nintendo.

April 27, 2016 at 9:26 am

The only way I see that happening is if they announce Federation Force 2 as a NX launch title.

18. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    April 27, 2016 at 9:26 am

What do they even have to show at E3 this year? Sticker Star 2?

19. Some furf
    Some furf
    April 27, 2016 at 9:36 am

I’m half expecting it to be named it the New Wii U.

20. Smug
    Smug
    April 27, 2016 at 9:37 am

May as well share this piece of information:

“As part of Nintendo’s financial results today, it was announced that the company will be implementing an Audit/Supervisory Committee and Officer System. What does this mean exactly? Well, more power will be given to the Board of Directors for an increased focus on corporate governance. Additionally, Nintendo of America/Nintendo of Europe presidents Reggie Fils-Aime and Satoru Shibata will be executive officers.”

>Nintendo America & Nintendo Europe will be given more power over Nintendo Japan

21. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 27, 2016 at 9:40 am

Yeah or that. Ugh, you know the Sony’s names are ‘boring’ but they’re so simple and descriptive and there’s hardly ever any confusion, save for whether to use PSX, PSOne, or PS1. But even then people know what you mean.

22. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    April 27, 2016 at 9:41 am

Yeah, because that’s what we need: Reggie having more power. Fuck “Le Body is Reggie xD” Man.

23. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 27, 2016 at 9:44 am

Years ago, my brother bought the family a Wii while he was in Hong Kong. It was apparently one of the hacked ones though so it bricked a few days later when I tried updating it. I felt pretty bad for that and decided to save up and buy a Wii.

Never happened though. Eventually news of the Wii U came out so I decided to wait for that. Years later and I found out that the Wii U released half a year ago by that point and made no waves at all. It lacked major upcoming titles and the ones I did eventually get interested in…well, I’m sure everyone here knows given Nintendo’s reputation by now.

And as for recent times, Nintendo has inspired no confidence in me to get the NX neither in their localization philosophy nor their library of third party titles. Other issues they’ve had such as region locking further repels me. I suppose this is just a long winded rant to say ‘pass’.

24. SoapyEyes
    SoapyEyes
    April 27, 2016 at 9:56 am

Not interested in this at all. Nintendo has been censoring their games so much all their female protagonists will be wearing burkas soon.

25. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    April 27, 2016 at 10:12 am

That and the Wii U version of Zelda, probably Pokemon as well. Maybe they’ll have a handful of other games, but it won’t be anything big since the company is basically focused on making games for NX.

This is a really terrible idea. E3 is the biggest event of the year for gaming and they’re only showing games for their dead console and running out of steam handheld rather than the new hardware.

26. kunuri
    kunuri
    April 27, 2016 at 10:20 am

I think this is going to be the most entertaining commercial flop in the AAA space since Duke Nukem Forever. Like the Ghostbusters reboot but without the mild infuriation. It’s a shame that all those unethically mined resources are going to waste but it’s never really been Nintendo’s job to care about anyone or anything besides profit.

27. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    April 27, 2016 at 10:21 am

will it be region free? if it is, I might buy it used.

28. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    April 27, 2016 at 10:23 am

OH GOD OH FUCK

29. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    April 27, 2016 at 10:45 am

DO NOT FUCKING REGION LOCK THIS CONSOLE NINTENSHIT.

30. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    April 27, 2016 at 10:49 am

Weren’t the Game Boy line and DS their only consoles that were region free? It’s kinda funny if they were since those are probably the best consoles that Nintendo’s ever had.

31. tetrisdork
    tetrisdork
    April 27, 2016 at 11:00 am

Yup. It wasn’t until the DSi refresh that Nintendo portables became region-locked. The reason? A digital storefront.

32. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 27, 2016 at 11:03 am

Actually E3 isn’t that important anymore. The big 3 (who, technically, make their announcements before E3) and Ubisoft have been the only ones to use it for major reveals the past 5 years.

Part of the death is it no longer being important as a place to meet and discuss volume sales to retailers thanks to digital distribution and the many cheaper forms of communication. The other was the horrible “downsized” E3

33. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 27, 2016 at 11:04 am

Pokemon and uh…

34. Obbliglol
    Obbliglol
    April 27, 2016 at 11:09 am

I am 100% expecting them to continue region locking, and that sucks.

35. PixelBuff
    PixelBuff
    April 27, 2016 at 11:18 am

Nintendo can fuck off.
    The only thing that would pique my interest is if they announced Bayonetta 3.
    Outside of them commissioning Platinum titles Nintendo is dead to me.

36. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 27, 2016 at 11:31 am

In other words less localization of niche titles and more censorship.

37. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    April 27, 2016 at 11:44 am

This company is seriously run by morons.

38. no sorry
    no sorry
    April 27, 2016 at 11:47 am

Mostly Zelda? And they aren’t going to talk about NX? wtf?

39. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 27, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Might as well roll with a cheap used PS4 after PS4k comes out if you really need whatever’s left exclusive for the time being, not like a bunch of Vita and PS3 ports will need (or even use) the extra power.

40. Nin
    Nin
    April 27, 2016 at 1:12 pm

On the bright side, I get to save money. Maybe next generation will be the generation I don’t buy any consoles whatsoever, portable or otherwise. Only bought the Vita and 3Ds this time, and since it’s unlikely for the Vita to get a sequel, that only leaves a possible 3DS sequel.

Then again, without the Vita, I’ll probably need a PS5 for my otaku game fix, but there’s been a trend of porting those games to the PC lately.

41. ThatOneGuy
    ThatOneGuy
    April 27, 2016 at 3:00 pm

>H-hey Reggie, we want to bring a game to the west.
    >pic related
    How long do I have to live to see Reggie be replaced?
    Can Nintendo be saved?
    Probably not.

42. heroyaldog
    heroyaldog
    April 27, 2016 at 3:04 pm

New Nintendo WiiU

43. scemar
    scemar
    April 27, 2016 at 3:17 pm

It’s like Nintendo has no idea what to do at this point.

They waited so long to tell anything about the console and suddenly they randomly toss out a date that could not be more random and tell us “here, this is when it comes out, whatever”.
    What a way to throw away any potential hype.
    That’s just not something a company that’s in charge of its business and has a plan would ever do.

The fact that their systems have all those management flaws you mention, the fact that their localization jobs are so bad, it’s all creating a terrible reputation for them, what are they doing to fix it?
    Nothing. That’s just something a company should not let happen, that’s something they should address, by fixing the issue, and show it. So people are reassured.

Nevermind that Nintendo still has a plethora of other older flaws which they haven’t addressed either, they’ve done nothing to convince people that their games will actually have a decent online from now on, or that they’ll improve their quality after the sudden dip they’ve been taking.

It’s like they stopped caring entirely and just go through the motions.

44. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 4:36 pm

U
    G
    H

45. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 27, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Probably a bit of both. Nintendo has always been more adverse to backlash than most other companies, part of that being due to protectiveness over their family-friendly image.

If anything, today’s outrage culture just makes things worse.

46. Ruggarell
    Ruggarell
    April 27, 2016 at 6:33 pm

It’s funny how the Wii u is about to be discontinued yet the PS3 is still alive.

47. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:31 pm

But they won’t show it at E3? Anyone get a vibe like they’re absolutely terrified that everyone is going to hate what they’ve made?

48. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Other platforms have managed to be region free with digital storefronts. Nintendo has no fucking clue what they’re doing online though, so here we are.

49. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:33 pm

The “New U”

50. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:34 pm

For there to be localization of niche titles people would have to be making games for their consoles to begin with……….

51. panda
    panda
    April 27, 2016 at 8:02 pm

not gonna bother. nintendo’s gone to hell.

52. Asuka
    Asuka
    April 27, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Same. XCX was the reason I bought a Wii U, and I just feel so used.

Nintendo has been shitting the bed for a while now, and if they expect me back as a customer then they have a lot of convincing they need to do.

I doubt the NX can win me back either, as my qualms are with the company culture. Maybe another console flop would be just what is needed to reorganize and rebrand Nintendo.

53. InkBrush
    InkBrush
    April 27, 2016 at 9:00 pm

There is no god…

April 28, 2016 at 1:54 am

No I’m still mad Nintendo I said I’d finish out the gen but this is the end, I could only reverse this if you made an agreement to never censor a game again and undo the damage you’ve wrought on xenoblade x, fatal frame 5, tokyo mirage, fire emblem fates, fire emblem awakening, bravely default 1/2, blanking on the rest they carved up. Further fire any person in treehouse who finds memes funny, and kirby has to take me to lunch.

55. Sati Zakito
    Sati Zakito
    April 28, 2016 at 2:00 am

Region free for a nintendo console it’s next to imposible, the best you can aim for it’s Global Release, like Pokemon.

56. GamesGoodMeGood
    GamesGoodMeGood
    April 28, 2016 at 5:01 am

The Anita Sarkeesian Show.

Making the future of video games better for everyone except heterosexual males.

57. Guin
    Guin
    April 28, 2016 at 11:04 am

Microsoft isn’t one for stellar name making either. Xbox ONE doesn’t scream creative juices flowing to me.

58. John Smith.
    John Smith.
    April 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Hmm, given how much of a let down the Wii U was and still is, I’ll be expecting some pretty damn massive improvements if I am to shill out more cash on your products… speaking of which, do you have any other games then the standard Mario and Zelda launch titles lined up for this?

59. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 28, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Not only isn’t it that creative, but it’s confusing as well. At least attach some other name to ‘Xbox’, rather than the (wrong) number. Again, Sony keeps it simple but at least people know which is which.

Last thing you want to do is make it confusing. Most of their customers don’t frequent gaming sites, you want to keep it simple and intuitive.

60. Joe
    Joe
    April 29, 2016 at 7:41 pm

To be fair, they did a great job localizing Xenoblade Chronicles X, boob slider removal aside. Fire Emblem, Bravely Default and Tokyo Pansy Mirage though – not so much.