John Romero Returns to Classic Shooters in Crowdfunded FPS Blackroom

John Romero (the co-founder of id Software and designer on classic FPS games like Doom and Quake), is reuniting with Adrian Carmack (who is also a co-founder of id Software), to Kickstarter a new first-person-shooter dubbed simply Blackroom.

While Romero and crew are looking for $700,000 in funding, the game will launch for PC sometime in the winter of 2018, should it be funded. Featured above, you can view the pitch video from Romero on his new project.

The game will be developed by Night Work Games, a subsidiary of Romero Games proper, to which the team is promising an “action-packed first-person shooter set in a holographic simulation gone rogue.”

You can find a brief synopsis for the game below, from its Kickstarter page:

John Romero and fellow id Software co-founder Adrian Carmack proudly announce Blackroom, a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. Blackroom launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design – Coming Winter 2018 to PC!

• Platform – PC (DRM Free + Steam) and Mac
  • Release Date – Winter 2018
  • Genre – FPS
  • Single-Player Campaign – 10 Hours, Leaderboard Challenge Modes
  • Multiplayer – Co-op, 1-on-1 Deathmatch, Arena
  • Multiplayer Maps – 6 Built In + Community Maps
  • Fully Moddable, Run Dedicated Servers, Create Maps
  • New Soundtrack by acclaimed metal guitarist George Lynch

If you’re considering backing the game, you should head over to its Kickstarter page.

, , ,

1. Dammage
    Dammage
    April 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Can’t bring myself to back something without actually seeing gameplay first

2. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 25, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Take away the fact that it’s John Romero, and there’s really not much to go on. I’m not too keen on kickstarters that try to sell games based on “star power”.

I won’t be backing it, but I’m gonna be at least keeping an eye on it to hopefully see some gameplay.

3. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 25, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I just have one question.

Will John Romero make me his bitch if I back this? I don’t want that again after last time.

4. CommanderZx2
    CommanderZx2
    April 25, 2016 at 1:58 pm

The game sounds far more ambitious than the budget they’re looking for. There’s no way that $700k alone could fund the game described in the video.

5. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 2:05 pm

10 hour campaigns are a big deal now? I thought we wanted 30-40 hours…

6. Izu-3
    Izu-3
    April 25, 2016 at 2:07 pm

For an FPS, 10 hours is pretty reasonable.

7. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    April 25, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I was pretty interested when Romero and Carmack teased this project, but somehow I didn’t put together that it was going to be a kickstarter.

I hope it’s decent and I’ll be keeping an eye on it, but I almost never give to crowdfunding campaigns, so one with no gameplay footage is right out.

8. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Sounds like nothing, but then again, I want campaigns to exist at all…

9. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 25, 2016 at 2:28 pm

For an FPS that’s significant. It’s not an RPG.
    “I thought we wanted”
    I’ve never met you. :P

10. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 2:39 pm

You’re not part of the “we” group then.

11. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 25, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Whatever will I dooooo?! ;P

12. ivanchu77
    ivanchu77
    April 25, 2016 at 2:46 pm

he should make a single player with loads of levels with a maze-like design and huge extension too, that´s what made most of these old school shooters special and still a blast to play nowadays rather than once again your typical multiplayer mode

Being fully moddable is a good start, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom benefited from that tremendously over the years

13. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 25, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Considering he’s asking for money in advance I’d say he’s the bitch now.:)

14. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Nah, John Romero just made you a pitch.

15. catazxy
    catazxy
    April 25, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Show me an alpha, then we’ll talk….

16. Guin
    Guin
    April 25, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I feel dirty for understanding that reference.

17. LazyBoy
    LazyBoy
    April 25, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Sorry John and Adrian, I’d love to contribute for a project from you but I will never do it to a project who is not even in an alpha state.
    I don’t care about your inspirations or even the concept arts. I want the actual proof that you can make this and that your concept is solid enough to be made.

18. Arcturo
    Arcturo
    April 25, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Can’t just throw away cash for two years (more likely three) unless I’m getting it back at the end, but I still hope that this will turn out alright and not just be another font of boring drama. The script of the video reads strangely like something out of time, you could find it on the back of a big cardboard PC game box or a particularly obnoxious TV commercial from the appropriate era. It’s incredibly dorky and undeniably cool.

Think it’ll get enough backers through such half-forgotten feelings of nostalgia alone. But me, I’ll chase that feeling by buying it if and when it’s done.

19. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm

You’ll have to live in my basement forever now.

April 25, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Okay there’s 20 comments in this so far how many will be about being a bitch or making bitches or bitching in general? if it exceeds 25% I’ll be disappoint.

21. Dr. Roswell. W
    Dr. Roswell. W
    April 25, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Alight, that was Clever.

22. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    April 25, 2016 at 5:13 pm

guy shouldve waited until he got some gameplay to show first

i mean sure hes a well known dev but nowadays people are a bit wary of kickstarters and for a good reason

23. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 25, 2016 at 5:42 pm

>I’m not too keen on kickstarters that try to sell games based on “star power”.
    I think Schafer and Inafune have permanently damaged trust in such campaigns by now.

24. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    April 25, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Yeah I’m not too keen on giving much more on video game Kickstarters these days. Just because it has a big name doesn’t mean it is going to be good. I’ve lost faith in the old guard of gaming because let’s face it, at one point, you are just too old and too out of touch to make good games like you use to.

25. James
    James
    April 25, 2016 at 10:07 pm

The real chance for money to come in for this is on May 13th, if Doom 4 is as underwhelming as the beta. There are two ways to make a lot of money on KS:
    1. Hype over a sequel. This isn’t that.
    2. Hype over a spiritual sequel to a series that the property owner has completely failed (like how people were angry at Capcom and Konami respectively when MN9 and Bloodstained made all that cash). The entire bet here is that Doom 4 will seriously anger gamers enough for them to throw money at Romero and friends. Which may or may not happen, it would certainly help if he had gameplay to show off already.

26. Asuka
    Asuka
    April 26, 2016 at 12:23 am

The concept looks FUN and fresh. Plus the talent and, more importantly, the values going into development resonate with me. I’m really excited to see what they make.

I’m tempted to fund myself a copy. The only other Kickstarter I have ever backed (or even considered for that matter) was Shenmue 3.

27. Z3DH
    Z3DH
    April 26, 2016 at 1:07 am

It may not suck.

28. Viredae
    Viredae
    April 26, 2016 at 2:53 am

As I understand it, typical (non-crap) FPS campaigns range anywhere from 6-10 hours, so 10 is pretty good.

29. Viredae
    Viredae
    April 26, 2016 at 2:54 am

Hopefully Igarashi and Yooka Laylee will kinda even the score, and tip it if this turns out alright.

30. Viredae
    Viredae
    April 26, 2016 at 3:03 am

I dunno, you could get a team of five for two years on 700k, it’s not a stretch if you’re willing to work for cheap and reap the rewards afterwards.

31. ShadowLink86
    ShadowLink86
    April 26, 2016 at 9:28 am

I rather avoid crowdfunders after the Mighty No. 9 disappointment.

32. Mir Teiwaz
    Mir Teiwaz
    April 26, 2016 at 3:33 pm

What exactly makes you think the core gameplay is going to be good? The last big game I remember his name being attached to (Daikatana) was utter garbage.

33. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 27, 2016 at 11:11 am

Nothing makes me think that the core gameplay has to be good. I mean it still could be though. Carmack is typically somebody I trust.

34. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 30, 2016 at 4:47 am

John Romero’s going to make Kickstarter his bitch!