FleetCOMM to Officially Launch at PAX East 2016

fleetcomm 04-20-16-1

Full Disclosure: FleetCOMM Technologies LLC are hosting Niche Gamer staff for lodging costs at this year’s PAX East – to save on our costs. This will not affect our coverage of the event as we have no legitimate investment in each other. To avoid ethical concerns, we will recuse ourselves from the game’s coverage at PAX.

Indie developer Mercenary Games has announced their Kickstarter-funded, tactical sci-fi shooter, FleetCOMM, will be hosting its official release at this year’s PAX East.

The full release of the game will be playable in their booth, #11176. To be clear, the actual Steam release information will be announced during the convention. To celebrate the announcement for the release, Mercenary Games has shared new promotional art (featured above) for the title, featuring #GamerGate mascot Vivian James.

In case you need a refresher on FleetCOMM, you can find a brief synopsis below:

A sci-fi game of tactical squadron combat fused with advanced space maneuvers.

Evolution in Real Time Tactics

This game presents an innovation in 2D action games; we introduce the ability to radically manipulate tactical maneuvers in real time. The game engine delivers a Fleet Codex, a real-time editing tool that allows you to create, experiment and design unique combat maneuvers.

In essence, the Fleet Codex is a football playbook for squadron formations. Our games philosophy focuses on free-form combat and player driven experimentation. Our arcade edition features our complete Fleet Codex and shows a new horizon for player-created combat actions.

1. Nick_Soapdish
    Nick_Soapdish
    April 20, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hey look it’s Asteroids.

2. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 20, 2016 at 11:16 am

Good ethics guys! Keep up the good code.

Game seems like a fun ‘lil arcade thing. Kinda curious.

3. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 20, 2016 at 11:38 am

Looks hella fun. I like anything involving tactics and strategy.

4. Sergio Nacher Fernández
    Sergio Nacher Fernández
    April 20, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Took them long enough! We’ll see if all those delays were actually worth it soon.

5. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    April 20, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Explain to me how miniskirts work in zero gravi — ohhhh…

6. lucben999
    lucben999
    April 20, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Wait, RogueStar is actually releasing this?

Holy shit, it actually happened.

I guess you’re not that bad after all, Rogue. You’re still a crazy sperg though.

7. Dark Acre Jack
    Dark Acre Jack
    April 20, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Can’t wait to see this human dumpster fire actually face the critics once FleetCOMM is out.

8. scemar
    scemar
    April 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm

So is this sponsored content?
    People are already freaking out over this guys.
    Like, ok, there’s E3 coverage. You recuse that, that’s nice.
    But what then?
    What of future coverage? News?
    Reviews?
    How does one remain unbiased, is it even possible?

I’m not reading too much into it but other people seem to be and I’d hate to see the reason for their concerns turn out to be right.

You had a squeaky clean record NG, don’t throw that away.

April 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm

That’s a nice rendition of Vivian. The game looks cool too. Have fun at PAX.

10. Montrillian
    Montrillian
    April 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm

It’s simple,

All writers that are going to pax east (where this is held) will recuse themselves totally from ever covering Fleetcomm.

Each article will have a disclosure that staff members received lodging but specifically mention that the author didn’t go to pax east.

Editorial work for this game will go through a different editor and not have been touched by Brandon at all.

Seems like the best possible answer to this ethical issue.

11. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 20, 2016 at 3:10 pm

“How does one remain unbiased, is it even possible?”

No, but the code of ethics says you must remain objective unless you state otherwise.

So that means you can be as biased as you want, it’s just not advisable and will piss people off.

Disclosure should fix all of this though, but it seems it’s not enough…

I think anyone saying that those that went at PAX shouldn’t write an article about it or not take part in events, etc, is really crossing the line.

That means the Nichegamer staff themselves are too.

I don’t see the point in recusing yourselves when COI’s are relevant ONLY when NOT DISCLOSED.

You can choose to do so, that’s fine with me, I still see it as stupid.

12. Montrillian
    Montrillian
    April 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Just trying to do the right thing.

13. DavidGX
    DavidGX
    April 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Guy who made this is a stupid douche. No thanks.

14. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 20, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Look, all I’m saying is that a disclosure is the only thing necessary.

Recusion is not necessary.

If they want to do it, fine, that’s not up to me, it will also not stop me from enjoying Nichegamer and shit.

I just find that it’s sometimes ridiculous that we need to follow an ideal to the letter when that ideal does not actually do anything in some cases.

Which is why I ask for a change in their wording here since: “We do not accept gifts, travel or accommodation from companies we cover.” is an absolute statement and it’s also rather vague given the situation.

15. Brandon Orselli
    April 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

This was an oversight on my part. I wouldn’t have pursued going it FleetCOMM didn’t offer to help get us up there, with lodging costs. We’re crazy tight on our budget and I barely have expendable income as it is.. so it is what it is.

We will not be doing this sort of thing again, however, as it has brought up legitimate concerns IMO. I just hope fans can see through that and that we simply want to cover games, as honestly as we can.

16. scemar
    scemar
    April 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm

“I just hope fans can see through that and that we simply want to cover games, as honestly as we can.”

That’s the impression I got from the start, but I was just speaking for other people who’ve shown some reasonable concerns.

The relationship between games journalists and developers/publishers is a sensitive topic after all, and to some people it seems it’s a very important part of why they’d choose to read news in a place they can consider unbiased or trustworthy.

But actions speak louder than words so I hope those concerns will calm down with time if NG keeps up the good work.

17. JohnnyCageFan2
    JohnnyCageFan2
    April 20, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Guess I must be an idiot, but I trust you guys to give honest coverage even if they offered a review copy and whatnot.

18. makubexnas
    makubexnas
    April 20, 2016 at 8:17 pm

this trailer give me seizure.

19. CSStrowbridge
    CSStrowbridge
    April 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm

“This will not affect our coverage of the event…”

I don’t buy that for a second.

20. KissDisqus
    KissDisqus
    April 20, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I’ve been watching a couple of their vids and I haven’t really seen anything in them that showcases how the fleet codex system could be fun to play around with or set this game apart from others.
    Can someone sell me on this fleet codex thing they have going on here?

21. CC
    CC
    April 20, 2016 at 11:27 pm

I’m of the “delay forever as long as your game isn’t shit” mindset. Better than releasing with bugs and crap missing ala Street Fighter VI but that’s just my opinion.

22. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 21, 2016 at 10:30 am

Sounds fair. Covering the game in terms of things like release dates or gameplay info should be fine since it merely informs readers of what’s going on with it.

A review might be out of the question though even with a disclosure since readers have no guarantee that Brandon or anyone else is pressuring the reviewer to give a good score, not that you or I would expect them to do anything like that.

23. Lain
    Lain
    April 21, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Sure it technically will affect there coverage at PAX, of FLEETCOM’s game and only that game

24. James Tuddrussell
    James Tuddrussell
    April 25, 2016 at 8:21 am

Stealth launch, eh? Almost like it didn’t even happen.