Local Co-op Not Possible in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

teenage mutant ninja turtles mutants in manhattan 03-19-16-1

Many longtime fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series fondly remember the 1991 classic brawler, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time.

The upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan seems to be a potential successor to that game, however a bit of unfortunate news was confirmed for the game.

While Turtles in Time features local cooperative multiplayer, Mutants in Manhattan will be an online-only multiplayer experience. Mutants in Manhattan producer Robert Conkey explained (via Kinda Funny Games) why the game is an online-only experience:

“We actually really wanted to do local couch co-op, but the problem is if you do, then you have to split the screen, and suddenly your 60FPS situation gets a lot worse, and it also starts limiting, technically, the things you can do, so we had to go with online only.”

The reasoning behind this is twofold: the former was a 2D, side-scrolling brawler, so implementing local cooperative isn’t that tough – however, the latter is a full-3D third person brawler that sports the 60FPS fidelity Platinum Games are known for, and would need split-screen.

If you’re looking for a true local cooperative game with the four iconic heroes in a half shell, consider the 2.5D remake Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan is launching on May 24th across PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

1. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    March 19, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Couldn’t make the local co-op below 60 and everything else a full 60 then?

2. LockeCole
    LockeCole
    March 19, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Well that seems like a big fuckup. Let the framerate dip or halve the resolution, we used to deal with it, I’m sure we can still manage…

This sucks because I was looking forward to playing this with my wife.

3. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    March 19, 2016 at 11:45 pm

So I’m not a big expert with tech and it is true that this game is probably being shackled with PS3/360 limitations, but how the hell is a PS4/XBONE not able to run a game that looks like this with 60 FPS and split screen?

4. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    March 19, 2016 at 11:48 pm

limiting because of hardware?

Maybe you should make pc have couch co-op :p

5. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    March 19, 2016 at 11:50 pm

To my understanding, Platinum seem to tie the framreate with the speed of the game itself so if they were to drop 60 to 30 FPS, the game would be significantly slower than normally which means they would have to configure local co-op to a normal speed that would be expected from 60 FPS but still locked at 30 FPS and either they don’t have the time and resources to do so, or they’re lazy.

6. Wonderkarp
    Wonderkarp
    March 19, 2016 at 11:51 pm

I’ll just have to have a Lan party then

7. Truck
    Truck
    March 20, 2016 at 12:18 am

WHY DID YOU RECOMMEND RESHELLED?

8. djluke_1993
    djluke_1993
    March 20, 2016 at 12:21 am

A budget problem maybe?

March 20, 2016 at 12:27 am

4 player sure that’d be pushing it but not even 2 player coop?

10. nine_ball
    nine_ball
    March 20, 2016 at 12:39 am

Please have LAN support. Please have LAN support. Please have LAN support.

11. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 20, 2016 at 12:49 am

What, it was a decent remake.

When it fucking wasn’t de fucking listed fucking fuck. I hate licenses and digital only stores and AAAAAA

12. BurgerUnit
    BurgerUnit
    March 20, 2016 at 2:21 am

C’mon – couch co-op and TMNT are meant to be together!

I wonder if they couldn’t just pull the camera back and have it move with both players to get around the split screen.

13. orbo
    orbo
    March 20, 2016 at 2:21 am

Not that I really care about this game but, really?

Why would local multiplayer have to be split screen?
    Turtles in Time didn’t need it.
    Are they saying it’s inferior to an snes game?

14. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    March 20, 2016 at 2:38 am

Isn’t one of the few remaining appeals of owning a console the couch co-op thing? It’s barely exclusives, and if rumors are true it isn’t a long term investment. Just put it on pc, I’ll put my pc on the tv with my two PS4 controllers.

15. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    March 20, 2016 at 2:58 am

The problem with that idea is that the game would be a bit much of a sloth gameplay wise considering this is a fast pace action game. Hell with so much going on at once, the FPS could dip even lower than 30. When it comes down it, it all comes down to the hardware which for the consoles its coming out on, is still limited.

16. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    March 20, 2016 at 3:13 am

Another way of saying Activision doesn’t wanna spend the time and money.

17. Joe murphy
    Joe murphy
    March 20, 2016 at 3:26 am

And this why I had to buy a second ps4 ( not for this game) the split screen is a dying breed.

18. TylorW
    TylorW
    March 20, 2016 at 3:58 am

I guess that makes sense in a way. Kinda makes me wonder what MGRising or Bayonetta would be like if they were at 30 FPS instead of 60.

19. evilmajikman
    evilmajikman
    March 20, 2016 at 5:33 am

There’s A LOT of animosity towards Reshelled. Personally, I wasn’t a fan of it, but I didn’t hate it either. And yeah. They lost the license way back just before Viacom picked it up. They also delisted the arcade game on XBL. Luckily I found Best Buy selling digital codes at the time.

But yeah. This is why digital only is NOT the way to go. Scott Pilgrim vs The World was also delisted for whatever reason.

20. evilmajikman
    evilmajikman
    March 20, 2016 at 5:39 am

Will you fuck off, already?

21. TheMaverickGamer
    TheMaverickGamer
    March 20, 2016 at 5:58 am

They didn’t mention local co-op before, so I already assumed multiplayer was online-only. I guess they could have done same-screen co-op and make it so players can’t wander very far from each other, but I wonder if that came down to debilitating camera issues or some other form of gameplay problem (or if it was even considered in the first place). Not a deal breaker for me by any means. I haven’t played local multiplayer since Mortal Kombat X launched last year.

March 20, 2016 at 6:03 am

Obviously Activision didin’t give Platinum enough time or resources to optimize the game. That and the fact that they are developing it for last gen consoles – the multitude of platforms really drains the development time.

23. scemar
    scemar
    March 20, 2016 at 6:06 am

All right, this sucks.

Big price they are paying for the multiplatform aspect.

I wish they’d have at least left the option somehow open to modders on the PC version somehow.

24. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    March 20, 2016 at 7:07 am

Fuck off. Just… fuck off. That’s what happens when you cashgrab as hard as you can and include obsolete as fuck hardware in the release line-up.
    Just drop the 360 and PS3. Boom! Problem solved.

25. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    March 20, 2016 at 8:43 am

Congratulations, you just proved once again why a console-first approach to programming games had shown the limitation of the systems in question.

26. Brandon Orselli
    March 20, 2016 at 8:47 am

I’m a huge fan of the turtles and have the original game. I enjoyed it, you know? It wasn’t AMAZING but it had local co-op

27. DavidGX
    DavidGX
    March 20, 2016 at 9:23 am

Difficult? Maybe… but impossible? Come, now. I believe that there’s very little in this universe that’s truly impossible.

28. tetrisdork
    tetrisdork
    March 20, 2016 at 10:24 am

I believe the reason for that was Anamanaguchi, who supplied the game’s soundtrack, being dicks.

29. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 20, 2016 at 10:48 am

It’s not as good as the original, of course, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

I miss that game too. I would love to see a re-release, without that damn soundtrack if need be.

30. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    March 20, 2016 at 2:24 pm

While I agree TMNT games have had popular co-op fun (the old arcade ports), I can understand them focusing on the single player and swapping between four play-styles.
    The last multiplayer game Platinum tried was Anarchy Reigns, and while that was good, it was not great. I think sales were luke-warm as well.
    Better for them to refine what they know then put time into something they are shakey on.

31. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    March 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Even if they dropped the PS3 and Xbox360, there’s still the current systems that can barley do 1080p/60fps without lowering the graphic quality of the game. PS4 & Xbox One are still using low/mid tier specs on their systems.

32. Jonbo298
    Jonbo298
    March 20, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Could have just done it the way Nintendo does with Mario Kart 8, for example. Maintain 60fps for up to 2 player. Drops to 30fps and some loss in image quality for 3-4 players. Not an ideal thing obviously but the option is still there for people willing to accept that sacrifice.

33. Kev Lew
    Kev Lew
    March 20, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I see where you are coming from but cutting out couch co-op then forces the predictions that “couch co-op is dead” into reality because the devs won’t provide what some people rely on for daily gaming. taking the choice away from players just forces people out of the system.

34. bdp
    bdp
    March 20, 2016 at 5:28 pm

If the goddamn snes can do local co-op on one screen surely newer games can do it. Just don’t do split screen.

35. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    March 20, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I know the Xbone/ PS4 are weaksauce in terms of processing power but the graphical fidelity of this game doesn’t seem /that/ demanding so I can easily see them pushing 10 year old hardware for no reason as the sole perpetrator in this crime.

36. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    March 21, 2016 at 9:31 am

The thing with the NES/SNES/Genesis games is that they took the typical arcade beat-em-up design where you couldn’t progress on the linear path until you beat all of the enemies that spawned in. In this game, where the turtles can go anywhere on an open map, you’d either have to make the turtles actually stay close together like Ratchet Deadlocked or something or be able to pan the camera out to the point where it’s difficult to see what’s going on if the turtles get far enough away from each other.

37. Ero-Sennin
    Ero-Sennin
    March 21, 2016 at 11:03 am

Well that sucks…

38. Raziel Barkrai
    Raziel Barkrai
    March 21, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I don’t have anyone to play with for these types of games anyway so, I’ll still try to get it.

39. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    March 21, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Fair point. There needs to be more games to champion it. Unfortunatley, those games also cater to the Lets Play crowd and their sofa of friends. With “audiecne participation” gimmics.

40. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 22, 2016 at 8:37 am

LAN is still always an option, as much as that needs a lot from any given player.

Also, they did make 5 players for The Wonderful 101, it would be nice if a sequel supported two players for all parts of the story and let someone use the GamePad to have their own display, but I suppose the mechanics tied to it in the original make that a bit unlikely.

41. PixelBuff
    PixelBuff
    March 22, 2016 at 11:23 am

This is a HUGE buzzkill for me, was really looking forward to playing this with the boyfriend. They better at least have cross-platform co-op so we can at the very least play PC/PS4. If they don’t have that then what is the point even, just make it a single player game.
    A **TMNT** game without local, fuck off. I expected more Platinum.

42. Ultra
    Ultra
    May 2, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Does anyone know if it will at least have ps3/ps4 cross play?

43. fire lion

Nestor Toy
    May 6, 2016 at 1:46 am

What the hell is LAN support? LOL

46. King David
    King David
    May 24, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Yea that was the break it deal for me. If it had local co-op, I would definitely buy it, even if the game sucked. My son loves TMNT, both of them do. So I was hoping that the game could be a family game, where we all play together, but now I’ve loss interest.

47. Zero
    Zero
    May 25, 2016 at 12:03 pm

The punchline is that the game is locked at 30fps on release anyway.

48. Derrick Vick
    Derrick Vick
    June 4, 2016 at 3:29 pm

New consoles though great are taking away from playing a game with your child in the safety of home! Instead of online listening to vulgar language and name calling! Even though game play has evolved the lost art of playing at home with friends has disappeared terrible!

49. Osvaldo Zuniga
    Osvaldo Zuniga
    June 14, 2016 at 7:03 pm

So I need 4 systems to play four player?