If you’re planning to play Funcom’s new Conan Exiles open world survival game – and you’re a tabletop gamer as well as a PC gamer – you might be interested in the news that the developer has teamed with Modiphius to create a tabletop RPG based upon it.
Linking the tabletop game and the digital version will be a sourcebook that adapts the areas, characters, and gameplay into tabletop form using 2d20 rules. The press release goes into more detail:
- Modiphius Entertainment, creators of award-winning roleplaying games like Achtung! Cthulhu and acclaimed table top board games like Thunderbirds the 50th Anniversary co-op board game, is pleased to announce CONAN EXILES, a new crossover sourcebook for its Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of roleplaying game.
- CONAN EXILES is Funcom’s new open-world survival video game, which starts early access the summer of 2016, based in the world of Robert E. Howard’s brutal barbarian. In CONAN EXILES, players find themselves as one of thousands cast into a barbaric wasteland, beset by enemies on all sides, with their task first to simply survive, then build a community and flourish.
- The CONAN EXILES tie-in sourcebook will adapt areas and gameplay from CONAN EXILES to Modiphius’ 2d20 roleplaying game. Developed in partnership with Funcom’s CONAN EXILES team and Free League Publishing (the designers of the Ennie award-winning Mutant: Year Zero), this sourcebook adapts the critically-acclaimed community development system from Mutant: Year Zero to the rigours of the Hyborian Age.
- In both CONAN EXILES and the sourcebook, the heroes face a brutal and extreme challenge: survival in an isolated and arid land, attempting to find food, water and shelter, before building a community that might endure against the threat of neighbouring kingdoms.
- Hungry, thirsty and alone, players’ very first battle is against the harsh environment itself. They’ll need to grow crops or hunt animals for food, harvest resources to craft weapons and tools and build a shelter to survive. They can explore a vast world alone, or band together with fellow players to build entire settlements and strongholds to withstand fierce invasions.
- The Exiled Lands are a desolate region shrouded in mystery where players must ready themselves and their fledgling community against repeated attack. To survive, they will need to manage a small population, forge alliances, build defences, gather resources, craft weapons, train their forces, weather deadly sandstorms, battle dangerous beasts and adventure forth into the untamed wilderness of the Exiled Lands surrounding them. Will those they meet become staunch allies or steadfast enemies?
- As players’ communities become established they will march forth into battle and wage war against their rivals as they fight to dominate the Exiled Lands. They’ll be able to sacrifice enemy players on the altars of the gods to shift the balance of power and unleash their fury in savage, fast-paced combat, executing bloody, bone-crushing attacks that will see heads roll and limbs fly.
Conan Exiles is due to enter Steam Early Access this summer, with a release planned for later in the year.