Volition Uploads Unreleased PSP Saints Row Prototype

Whether or not you’re fond of Volition’s Saints Row games, the popular series of dildo-wielding GTA-inspired open world crime games have a large and faithful fan following. If you’re one of them, you might be interested in news concerning Saints Row: Undercover, which was an unreleased spin-off of the series that was meant to be released on Sony’s PSP system.

Ever mindful of their fans, the good folks at Volition created a playable ISO of the Saints Row: Undercover unreleased prototype and uploaded it to a few different locations for fans to play themselves.

Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3

The game is said to be fully playable in an actual (modded) PSP or a PSP emulator such as PPSSPP. Reports from users seem to point to difficulty getting the game to work on actual hardware, but it does appear to play very well on the emulator.

, , ,
Carl Batchelor

Carl is both a JRPG fan and a CRPG'er who especially loves European PC games. Even with more than three decades of gaming under his belt, he feels the best of the hobby is yet to come.

1. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 29, 2016 at 11:12 am

Cool, I love when betas or cancelled games pop up like this, and having it come from Volition themselves instead of someone leaking a stolen cartridge or whatever is just icing on the cake.

2. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    January 29, 2016 at 12:03 pm

It’s cock, but that’s not the point. For a lot of people (historians, upcoming designers) it’s important to know where the good ideas came from and what came before them.

I’d love to see more studios do this.

3. JellyfishMonarch
    JellyfishMonarch
    January 29, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I agree. But then sometimes you get that really cool cancelled game that looks amazing… and then its never released because of various problems (hero/project awakened comes to mind. maybe one day)

4. deadeye
    deadeye
    January 29, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Yeah, I love seeing scrapped projects like this and hearing some of the devs actually talk about it is really cool.

It’s pretty clear that this didn’t make it very far. Apparently not many people at Volition even remember it.

5. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 29, 2016 at 4:56 pm

The hell have they been up to anyways?

6. passthegrenadeplease
    passthegrenadeplease
    January 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I was wondering the same thing, I’m just going to assume they’re working on Saints Row 5. Its the only thing I can think of, Red Faction has been pretty much swept under the rug.

7. Casey
    Casey
    January 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Apparently it was outsourced, and as boxes of stuff were being trashed, someone on a lark fired up one of the doomed psp devkits and found this on it.

8. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    February 2, 2016 at 4:40 pm

While that sucks, I’d rather know about it than have never seen it. I’m really sad the Avengers game was canceled, but so glad I got to see it because it looks so freaking amazing.