Sega Teasing New Game “If You’re a Fan of the Classics”

sonic generations 01-20-16-1

We’ve learned (via NeoGAF) that Sega is teasing a big announcement tomorrow.

The tease was posted over on their official Facebook page, and it reads:

“If you’re a fan of the classics, you’ll definitely want to tune in tomorrow for our new game announcement.”

Following their previous Sonic-like tease, If you consider this year being the 25th anniversary for the Sonic the Hedgehog series, we’re expecting something involving Sonic.

What could it be? A repackaging of their Ultimate Genesis Collection, for modern platforms? Sound off in the comments below!

We’ll keep you guys posted.

1. DarkMistressSerena
    DarkMistressSerena
    January 20, 2016 at 8:51 pm

phantasy star online 2 please
    *prepares to be disappointed*

2. Shinigami__san
    Shinigami__san
    January 20, 2016 at 8:51 pm

sonic generation was great, i guess is time for sonic generation 2 =D

3. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    January 20, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Well what does Sega classify as a “classic” at this point because that can be quite a variety of games from their library. Extremely old games from the Genesis/Dreamcast age or last gen games? Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

4. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    January 20, 2016 at 8:58 pm

“Tune in to watch as we crudely violate the corpse of another beloved classic SEGA property with our throbbing, uncircumcised members.”

January 20, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Well at least their parents haven’t been cruel enough to mutilate them.

6. Pooh Hardy
    Pooh Hardy
    January 20, 2016 at 9:00 pm

I like sonic generations, colours, unleashed style
    i like adventure (sonic and tails mode only) style
    And i like the classic 2d/advanced/rush sonic style

Its a lot of things you can do with these
    DONT FUCK UP SEGA PLEASE? ITS BEEN 4 YEARS NOW since any non nintendo console got anything
    also 4 years since a good sonic game

7. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    January 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm

“Classics” makes it sound more like a new All-Stars Racing than anything. Hopefully they can keep out the weird celebrity cross-promotion this time, and maybe acknowledge some of their newer stuff like Yakuza or Valkyria.

January 20, 2016 at 9:05 pm

A 2D Sonic game? I personally wouldn’t mind another Generations. The “new” part in that statement suggests that it may not be a remaster.

9. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 20, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Honestly I’d rather it just be PC/console ports of the taxman remakes. a taxman version of Sonic 3 and Kncukles would be great too but I’m pretty sure that’ll never happen due to rights issues. At least Sonic 3 Complete is still excellent in that regard.

10. NathanEH
    NathanEH
    January 20, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I’d be all over a Generations 2, or a real remake of any game out of the Genesis trilogy. Who knows. So long as “classic” is being used correctly, I’m down. Anything past the Genesis is either horrible or not yet “classic”.

After Sonic Boom brought us back to the Sonic Adventure era, it’ll be nice to get back to what made Sonic great again, like Colors and Generations were so close to doing.

11. Dudleyville
    Dudleyville
    January 20, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Ristar 2

12. Daryl Corey
    Daryl Corey
    January 20, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I would like them to take Sonic 1-3 Sonic & Knuckles with the lock on games for 2 and 3, Sonic CD, and Knuckles Chaotix to get put out on a disc for all three consoles for around $40

13. Siveon
    Siveon
    January 20, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Sonic is lame. Give my a new Phantasy Star JRPG. No ARPG shenanigans (though I do like those).

14. scemar
    scemar
    January 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Give a new classic style sonic game like megaman 9.
    Or maybe Sonic Generations 2.
    I would like the chao garden back too.

15. Keinart
    Keinart
    January 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm

No one posted it yet?

16. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 20, 2016 at 9:45 pm

That image was only ever really accurate for like, two games, and completely blown out by Colors. Which, you know, came out 5 years ago.

17. Chase Moran
    Chase Moran
    January 20, 2016 at 9:56 pm

There’s a consistent cycle when it comes to Sonic anniversary games. At least in terms of fan reception, the ones for years ending in a 0 are good, and the ones ending in 5 are terrible.

18. orbo
    orbo
    January 20, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I’ve heard this one before…

19. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    January 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Shit, that’s a way better guess than a new racing game. I’d be really happy about that; it’s a damn shame those remakes are stuck on phones.

20. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 20, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Why would anyone be hyped for a new Sonic game. They honestly should have just killed him off years ago, because Sega has no idea what they’re doing anymore.

21. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 20, 2016 at 10:56 pm

sanic.

sanic gens pt 2 electric boogaloo

Or a graphically updated compilation of the first four games (and maybe CD?) that are side scrolling, 1080p 60fps with the full capability of the ps4/xbone/pc?
    That would be real cool.

22. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 20, 2016 at 10:56 pm

what about 6?
    they’re the worst.

23. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 20, 2016 at 11:36 pm

please be 4-for-3
    as in, the first 4 titles for xbone/ps4/wii u or pc

but that’s high dreaming and you’re probably right.

24. PacificMustang
    PacificMustang
    January 21, 2016 at 12:10 am

All I really want from Sega is a new multi-platform Derby Owners Club and Virtua Tennis. I know It will never happen.

25. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 21, 2016 at 12:35 am

I don’t know, even with them being so deep in their own shit at the time, they still noticed it was horrible. That being said, even with Capcom getting better, they still laid a rotten one.
    Best to pray to your Sanic OC that they figure out what was wrong and get it right this time and maybe redo the older ones along with it.

26. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    January 21, 2016 at 1:55 am

Sonic 4 Episode 3. There’s just too much uncanny evidence piling up for it not to be; unless this is just more elaborate trolling from Sega’s Aaron Webber…

27. Slayven19
    Slayven19
    January 21, 2016 at 2:36 am

Can i get a streets of rage sega? no? ok then i don’t care about the announcement.

Also lol at someone saying ristar, that game would bomb hard.

28. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    January 21, 2016 at 3:40 am

No look at only the emboldened numbers they refer to April Fool’s day 4-1-16. It’s been nearly 4 years since they threw the second episode of Sonic 4 out the door with very little fanfare them going back to it would only make sense if it actually didn’t really resemble Sonic 4 but that would beg the question why name it after a rather infamous disappointment.

29. Aken Bosch
    Aken Bosch
    January 21, 2016 at 3:42 am

Sonic 06 10 year anniversary edition! HYYYYPE!!!! :D

30. Nagato
    Nagato
    January 21, 2016 at 3:58 am

Has to be Taxman/Christian Whitehead’s versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on PC and console, with maybe a reveal for his version of S3 & Knuckles as well

31. Daniel Rossevelt
    Daniel Rossevelt
    January 21, 2016 at 4:47 am

That’s your opinion, I don’t think there has been a really good Sonic game since around 2004. Colors was really boring. Generations was alright, not amazing, but not bad, although left me disappointed. So for me the Sonic cycles been true for quite a long time.

32. Daniel Rossevelt
    Daniel Rossevelt
    January 21, 2016 at 4:58 am

Well if it’s a Sonic game, I doubt I’ll like it last Sonic game I really liked came out in 2003/2004. The post adventure syle games have been terrible, even Shadow the hedgehog’s gameplay has been better then most of this crap. Generations was almost good, but the 3D levels being Unleashed/Colors style, as well as 2.5D made it mediocre.

It’d be much more interesting to see other Genesis era games resurrected, for example I’d like to see Altered Beast rise from his grave. A new good Golden Axe would be pretty cool too, or Kid Chameleon.

33. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    January 21, 2016 at 5:12 am

No it makes sense.

4 3 1 21 16

1/21/16

and the 4 and 3 could mean Sonic 4 Episode 3.

34. evilmajikman
    evilmajikman
    January 21, 2016 at 5:17 am

Read the numbers again. “4 3 1 21 16”
    Sonic 4: Episode 3
    1/21/2016
    The 1 means January since the follow up numbers are day and year. 4 and 3 can only mean Sonic 4: Episode 3. And this is the date that they are announcing it.

35. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 21, 2016 at 9:07 am

Even if you don’t like the newer games (which is fine, I know I’m one of like five people that actually enjoyed Lost World after all) the Sonic Cycle that infographic is still flawed since it focuses a lot on new “friends” overload and there really hasn’t been anything that could be considered that since 2008 or so. That and saying the game is the “same old” doesn’t apply when most of the complaints about the last mainline game was how different it was from colors/generations.

Again I don’t think it’s bad to hate on sonic games but I just hate when it feels like people are just mindlessly shitting on them as if the series has been 06-tier since conception, which really feels like it’s been the cool thing to do for the last decade or so.

36. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 21, 2016 at 9:10 am

That’d be nice (I’m still holding out hope that I’m wrong and it’s actually the sonic 1/2 mobile ports coming to steam or consoles) but I doubt it’d happen due to all the rights issues that apparently swirl around sonic 3’s music. And if those are just rumors then there’s still something that’s clearly keeping them from ever actually remaking it for some reason.

37. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 21, 2016 at 9:28 am

i wasn’t aware of the music having rights issues haha.

it’d be cool, tho.
    even if they had to remix the music a bit for 3 to clear the air.
    ah, well.

38. Daniel Rossevelt
    Daniel Rossevelt
    January 21, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I actually haven’t had a chance to play lost world.
    However I totally understand where your coming from that inforgrafic is a bit flawed, and honestly I see why some people enjoyed colors, and other sonics styled like that and day time unleashed.

They just were not to for me. But they were good games for people who liked that 3d sonic. I enjoyed adventure style more, so it’s not what I want :P And I ended up not having fun playing them. Kinda like how I felt with the sonic Advance series, the movement didn’t feel right. I thought the whole idea was good, but ruined by the weird movement of characters.

As for people shitting on Sonic, it sucks a lot do just do it because it is cool to hate, but whatever there just idiots who follow everyone else, there are a few who mean there argument but not as many as there are sheep. Maybe someday they’ll grow up and make there own opinions an not hate for fun, or to be ‘cool’

39. Mir Teiwaz
    Mir Teiwaz
    January 21, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not have additional DLC stages for Sonic Generations.

They could have made so many more stages than they did.

40. Chase Moran
    Chase Moran
    January 21, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I meant in terms of anniversary years, so an anniversary year ending with 5 would be 1996, 2006, etc. Compare that to 2001 and 2011, which got two of the most highly acclaimed 3D Sonic games to date.

41. OSad
    OSad
    January 22, 2016 at 12:27 am

I really wish there wasn’t Sonic for a year.

I don’t even mind Sonic, fuck me you could even say I like the Sonic franchise. I just don’t want one every goddamn year. You can probably put out a good Sonic game if you took the normal development cycle a quality AAA game usually takes.

42. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    January 22, 2016 at 12:32 am

It was absolutely referring to 4/1/16 as this announcement turned out to 3D Classics coming West. It’s possible Webber put that in as a gag after looking the announcement schedule with the joke being to not to expect anything announced on 1/21/16 to be important.

43. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    January 22, 2016 at 12:38 am

The team behind Generations hasn’t put anything out since 2011, the supposed second internal team at Sonic Team developed Colors and the more recent and terrible Lost World.

44. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    January 22, 2016 at 12:48 am

They’ve piled up missed opportunity since putting Generations out, no DLC for that, creating a better replacement for Sonic 4 after canceling episode 3, giving Sonic to western devs that actually gave a shit rather than ones that worship the alter of generic soulless 3D platformers, making the actual sequel to Colors rather than a really crummy Mario Galaxy knockoff and finally bringing the Genesis to the current generations be it emulated, ported like the recent mobile releases or remade.

45. Furluge
    Furluge
    January 22, 2016 at 1:28 am

I don’t think any of the original team from the Phantasy Star games are at Sega anymore. Last I heard a bunch were at Overworks, hence Skies of Arcadia, and I haven’t heard anything about them since. (Other than the PS Collection GBA game.)

46. ThrowawayAccount
    ThrowawayAccount
    January 22, 2016 at 11:19 am

I’d rather they never go back to adventure style considering the first Adventure game was a hot mess.

Can’t speak for Adventure 2 since I haven’t played it as extensively. As far as I’m aware it’s also fairly janky but not quite as much as the first.

47. Daniel Rossevelt
    Daniel Rossevelt
    January 22, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Adventure was pretty much there first attempt at a 3D sonic, and it was released really early in the generation, what did you expect? It still wasn’t even that bad. That’s like saying you wouldn’t want Colors to exist because of Unleashed.
    Anyways Adventure 2 was a big step up. And then there is also Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog which were bastard children of Adventure which were both pretty good gameplay wise, improving apon Adventure.

I personally would never want to see a colors/unleashed style game ever

48. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    January 24, 2016 at 10:57 pm

You know this will never happen, so don’t tease me like that.

(It’s from my favorite games)