Bayonetta 2 Is Re-Launching As A Standalone Game

bayonetta-2

In a very interesting move by Nintendo, they announced on their Twitter page that Bayonetta 2 will be launching as a standalone game in commemoration of Bayonetta’s inclusion as DLC for Super Smash Bros For Wii U and 3DS.

The new standalone release will only come with Bayonetta 2, and will be at reduced price of 29.99

It is set to release on February 19th.

Author’s Note: This is specifically for North America, as both Europe and Japan already have the standalone version.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. deadeye
    deadeye
    January 14, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I’ve been wanting to get Bayo 2 recently, but the prices for it are absurd now. So this is great.

Although I guess this means I still have to stick with my PS3 Bayonetta. Oh well.

2. Carbon Based Killer Bee
    Carbon Based Killer Bee
    January 14, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Pretty sure you can still buy Bayo 1 digitally through the eShop. Though, it sucks that it won’t have a physical disc of its own, plus there’s a dearth of internal space within the WiiU. I’m at a point now where I need an external HDD for my system.

3. Carbon Based Killer Bee
    Carbon Based Killer Bee
    January 14, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Happy this happening at all, I love Bayonetta 2. Hope they come up with a solution to also make it alluring to purchase the first game physically as well – though I doubt it will happen. Still, would be nice to have a Wii U Bayo 1 case next to my Bayo 2 (which I bought day 1, but fuck it, I’m in love with this series.)

4. Dakt
    Dakt
    January 14, 2016 at 1:38 pm

This applies to America only, you should mention that in the article. Europe and Japan have had this option since release.

5. MGNoxa
    MGNoxa
    January 14, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I really hope this isn’t Nintendo gauging interest for Bayonetta 3, while some will buy this I’m pretty sure 95% of those that wanted it have already grabbed it. I really want Bayonetta 3…

6. blackice85
    blackice85
    January 14, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Even you got Bayo 1 already on 360/PS3, it’s worth buying it again if you liked it IMO. Performance is nigh perfect on the Wii U port as far as I can tell, and it really matters with this sort of game.

7. Otis Beer
    Otis Beer
    January 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm

The European version has both games on their own discs and cases. Similar thing with Project Zero (Fatal Frame) 5

8. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    January 14, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Actually, the Wii U version is pretty much on par with the 360 version.

If you actually bought the abortion of a port on the PS3, kill it in the most horrible way possible (get creative).

9. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    January 14, 2016 at 1:49 pm

If you only have Bayo 1 on PS3, I’d just keep sticking it out til the price finally drops, it really is one of the worst ports I’ve ever seen.

10. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 14, 2016 at 1:56 pm

gamestop is $30 for bayo2 though?

11. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 14, 2016 at 1:56 pm

i take it you’re not in the USA?
    Because Gamestop sells it for $30 used and about $40 new. It’s not too bad considering you get 2 games

12. Black_Bob
    Black_Bob
    January 14, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I’m confused by the way this is written:
    “For those confused, Bayonetta 2 originally launched on the Wii U for with the first Bayonetta game added in as a bonus with exclusive Nintendo themed costumes.”

Ok, so… seeing as this will launch as a stand alone game – is Bayo 2 going to be on another system besides the WiiU? PC/PS3/PS4/X360/XBone?

13. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    January 14, 2016 at 2:07 pm

No, Nintendo fully funded Bayonetta 2 after Sega didn’t want to, so it’s completely locked in as an exclusive.

14. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    January 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm

It was already standalone in the EU.

Still, I’d recommend getting the first game, too. Especially if you got the terrible PS3 port.

15. Black_Bob
    Black_Bob
    January 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Well…that’s poopy.

16. Carbon Based Killer Bee
    Carbon Based Killer Bee
    January 14, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Oh I’m aware, and I am very jealous of that fact. If the damn Wii U weren’t region locked, I would’ve been buying PAL copies.

17. Otis Beer
    Otis Beer
    January 14, 2016 at 2:37 pm

There are a few US/JP Wii U game’s I’d grab as well, but I guess I’ll have to settle for them on other formats (NES Remix disc, Ken’s Rage 2 disc etc)

18. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    January 14, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Welcome to europe, well not quite since you won’t get the 1st game in its own case.

19. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 14, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Kinda blows that it doesn’t come with Bayo 1 but it’s only half the price so I guess it evens out.

I dunno I got the game at launch so I can’t say I’m invested either way.

20. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 14, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Why would anyone buy this version when you could buy the one with the first game added on? Watch this version get censored.

21. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 14, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Depending on where you live the original version is out of stock or price gouged to hell and back.

And why do you think they’d censor this game? It’ll probably just be the exact same thing they printed in 2014 but without the original game as a bonus disc. I won’t defend NoA’s actions with things like Fatal Frame or Xenoblade X but when you bring up things like that at the mere mention of a new game it stops being a worry or a complaint and just becomes a boogeyman.

22. Sasha Not Grey
    Sasha Not Grey
    January 14, 2016 at 3:40 pm

maybe now I will be able to buy bayonetta 2 without spending almost a hundred dollars

23. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 14, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Have they ever censored Bayonetta?
    I’ve never heard of it happening so maybe Platinum has a pack of ruffians just outside their door ready to rough them up with baseball bats if anything wrong is found.

24. BeholdMyPower
    BeholdMyPower
    January 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Almost got excited thinking it is was finally being ported to other platforms. Oh well.

January 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Will they also re-launch the original?

26. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    January 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm

God damn, here in Europe you can get the special edition with both games in separate boxes for £30-40 ($43-58).

This is why Nintendo should stop region locking.

27. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 14, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Considering the alternative is the game not existing at all I don’t see why it’s so bad.

28. tetrisdork
    tetrisdork
    January 14, 2016 at 5:34 pm

If you don’t mind digital and have the space, the first game should still be available on the eShop.

29. Feniks
    Feniks
    January 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

No digital release?

30. Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    January 14, 2016 at 6:35 pm

uh why would they censor it?
    They are just making a separate box.

This isn’t a Game of the Year edition or Special Edition.
    It’s a Standalone edition.
    Meaning game sold separately from the first game.

31. Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    January 14, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Xenoblade isn’t anything worth crying over though. It was just boob slider. None of that stuff even matter afterward. If you clocked over 100hrs.

32. EdgyDude
    EdgyDude
    January 14, 2016 at 6:37 pm

If you’re in the US I heard Gamestop is having a sale of both Bayo2 (with Bayo1 included) for $40. If you’re too far from any Gamestops and don’t mind digital Bayo 1 was in the eShop last time I checked.

33. Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    Otaku DJK1NG (YouTube)
    January 14, 2016 at 6:37 pm

It’s being launch as a Standalone sold game on Wii U in Feb.

Why? Because Bayonetta is going to be playable in Smash Bros. in February.

34. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    January 14, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Why don’t you just reduce the price of the 2 game pack to $30, Nintendo? Cheap asses.

35. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 14, 2016 at 8:37 pm

The crazy shit that goes on now a days, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised. Not saying they will, but still.

36. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    January 14, 2016 at 9:03 pm

This is nice since I generally prefer singular stuff instead of multi-packages. I’m probably going to sell my current compilation and pool that towards this since I have the first one on 360.

37. Pooh Hardy
    Pooh Hardy
    January 15, 2016 at 12:07 am

for a second i honestly thought they were going to bail on nintendo after the smash trailer

“it was all an elaborate rouse to get you to put bayo in……k cya”

38. Thomas B.
    Thomas B.
    January 15, 2016 at 3:06 am

With Amiibo-DLC? ;)

39. garf02
    garf02
    January 15, 2016 at 4:17 am

not in this plane of reality m8, try 2 dimensions next door where SEGA is not a shity publisher now

40. garf02
    garf02
    January 15, 2016 at 4:18 am

they can for Bayonetta 3, but Nintendo owns everything in Bayonetta 2, even if SEGA wanted, they cant port it

41. garf02
    garf02
    January 15, 2016 at 4:18 am

>cheap ass
    says the guy that want to games for 30$

42. garf02
    garf02
    January 15, 2016 at 4:19 am

try finding on retail copy of the 1st print in USA… and now that you are on it. some blood on Jesus in the process

43. garf02
    garf02
    January 15, 2016 at 4:22 am

as far as we know Bayonetta 3 maybe is in development and we will get a teaser on E3 next to NX…then internet collectivenes will melt down on sheer rage, envy and salt…again

44. Black_Bob
    Black_Bob
    January 15, 2016 at 9:33 am

Clarification – it’s poopy because I would love to see this on multiple systems. Personally I don’t own a WiiU and don’t care to own one at this time. I am glad that Nintendo decided to fund it because it will give it a chance to be on other systems…eventually…hopefully…maybe…

45. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    January 15, 2016 at 11:03 am

Was that English?

46. Pooh Hardy
    Pooh Hardy
    January 15, 2016 at 12:30 pm

sonic has been portin recently
    who knows what could happen

47. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    January 15, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Surely you weren’t being serious with your post, otherwise I’d imagine you’re actually stupid enough to port beg bloodborne on Xbone or KI on PS4.

48. 2501
    2501
    January 15, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Thank you, the removal of a boob slider and a few slight dialogue changes mean nothing to the overall experience that Xenoblade X offered. The game is freaking huge and filled with enough content to keep you busy for months on end. Besides, the story wasn’t even that great.

49. Maiq TheLiar
    Maiq TheLiar
    January 15, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Yet the only reason someone would clock over 100hrs is if that stuff didn’t matter to them.

50. Maiq TheLiar
    Maiq TheLiar
    January 15, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Technically every Bayonetta was censored. That damn hair. d:

51. bf313
    bf313
    January 16, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Really happy that Bayonetta is getting the recognition that she deserves since getting added to Smash. Bayo 2 is one of the best games i’ve ever played.

52. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 18, 2016 at 3:06 am

so glad i preordered this game while i could.
    best day of 2014 hands down, the day bayonetta 2 and fantasy life dropped.

53. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 18, 2016 at 3:08 am

stop dreaming

54. bateruchan
    bateruchan
    January 18, 2016 at 3:15 am

one is a game port from 2009 and the other will be a 2 year old game

yes, it is cheap of them
    they don’t even PRINT bayo anymore so you know
    just reprinting as MSRP for $30 would be MORE PROFIT THAN THEY MAKE RIGHT NOW on it.

i don’t fucking understand logic of some people when they try to say shit like this.
    the game is NOT in print
    at 2 games, it would still be making more money right now than what they currently make… $0.
    anything greater than zero is net profit for nintendo

no i am not invested in this as i preordered bayo2 and got it the day it came out, as well as Fantasy Life the same day. but you’re just plain wrong.

55. Monkey_D_Thunder
    Monkey_D_Thunder
    February 1, 2016 at 1:49 am

But with Sonic, Nintendo doesn’t own any publishing rights to Sonic games. Hell they didn’t even fun any of the games, that was all SEGA.
    The only ones Nintendo published themselves (while developed by SEGA) are the Mario & Sonic Olympics games, which obviously cant be ported to non-Nintendo consoles due to the Nintendo first party characters.

Bayonetta 2 however was both funded & published by Nintendo, and even Platinum Games stated that if you want the game ported you have to ask Nintendo…. If they say no then its not happening. They even added “while your at it ask Nintendo to port Mario & Zelda”.