System Shock 3 Officially Announced by Otherside Entertainment

shodan

Otherside Entertainment have officially announced that they will be developing System Shock 3, following last week’s teaser website.

So far the only bits of information shown about the new entry are the image shown above, and an ominous voice clip from series antagonist Shodan, where she threateningly says “Did you think I’ve forgotten you, insect?

We’ll keep you guys posted.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    December 14, 2015 at 11:20 am

Neat, but… how exactly are they gonna do it? They’re a pretty small team, and they already have the Ultima Underworld sequel on their hands..

2. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    December 14, 2015 at 11:27 am

They better not mess this one up.

3. RejZoR
    RejZoR
    December 14, 2015 at 11:41 am

Being a completely unknown studio (at lest to me) with no huge successes under their belt, they have huge boots to fill. System Shock is a rather niche game series for people with VERY acquired taste. You can either go in history as a studio that resurrected one of the most iconic games of all times or be the studio that fucked up one of the most iconic series. And it’s up to them to “decide” in which category they’ll fall into… Either way it’s a very difficult path ahead because when you want to satisfy people with very acquired taste, it’s usually very difficult to satisfy them (us) because we expect jaw dropping experience like the one found in first two games.

4. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    December 14, 2015 at 11:51 am

Never in my life would I think I’d be so happy to hear the voice of a malignant AI out to destroy the human race… until now. At the same time though, eith the fact that Otherside Entertainment are working on another crowdfunded game (Underworld Ascendant), this could get ugly.

5. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    December 14, 2015 at 12:13 pm

To be fair, Otherside Entertainment do consist of former devs from Looking Glass Studios. In fact, the creator of Otherside is Paul Neurath who co-founded Looking Glass. That being said, there should be a large err of caution especially since getting down the System Shock formula is difficult without dumbing it down (looking at you Bioshock).

6. daggot △
    daggot △
    December 14, 2015 at 12:17 pm

They’re leaded by a founder of looking glass studios along with some of their people and some newer devs. They’re also developing the new ultima underworld game.

7. RejZoR
    RejZoR
    December 14, 2015 at 12:23 pm

That’s why I said “(at least to me)” because unless you go into digging names, they are entirely unknown. But yeah, if they are former Looking Glass/Irrational Games people, then we can talk. I just hope they won’t dumb it down to the Bioshock level. It was a good game and I’m fine with it being marked as spiritual succesor of System Shock, but I really don’t want to stick hypos in my ass as soon as I pick them up. And same goes for chips and orange juice. I want bloody functional inventory where I can fiddle with my items, ammunition, guns and just hoarding all the shit I can find because you can’t ever be sure when that potted plant may come in handy!

8. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm

That’s when you as individuals of a company should start engaging in discussions with the fans of the previous games and ask them about the series and what they want to see change or improved, etc.

9. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    December 14, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Apparently their Twitter follows the social justice clique.

Into the trash.

10. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    December 14, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Please tell me you’re joking. I don’t need more of this SJW shit in my games.

11. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 14, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Let’s wait and see if they contact fans of the game and if their game will be a true System Shock game before throwing it into the trash.

12. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    December 14, 2015 at 1:24 pm

While this is unfortunately true, they’ve yet to attack their fans/consumers the way their peers have. I can live with a difference of opinion…unless they pull a Tim Schafer, I’m not gonna go as far as to boycott them.

13. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    December 14, 2015 at 3:00 pm

It’s been a long time.

14. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm

i think only the quality of the final game is important, to be honest the dev can be a nazi for all i care

15. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    December 14, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Social justice games are never good.

16. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    December 14, 2015 at 5:29 pm

how about we wait and see before drawing judgements about either the devs political beliefs or the quality of the game?

17. Badmojo7
    Badmojo7
    December 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Well shit, there goes my hope.

18. Grampy_Bone
    Grampy_Bone
    December 14, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Chills

19. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    December 14, 2015 at 10:19 pm

The appropriate response would surely be “nah” (why am I reminding myself of that terrible ending)

20. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    December 14, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Just ignore all the past history. Just wait.

It’s VERY well established being part of a video game hating group = bad games

21. Evropi
    Evropi
    December 16, 2015 at 12:07 am

I wouldn’t prejudge, but yeah, it is worrying. SHODAN in particular could be ruined, being female (sort of).