System Shock 3 Teaser Site Appears

With Night Dive Studios reinvigorating the System Shock community with their excellent work bringing the series into modern gamer’s hands, the once dormant intellectual property is now much more visible than it has been in years. This may be why, thanks to some digging from people at the RPG Codex forums, a teaser site for System Shock 3 was found.

Naturally, at this early stage you aren’t going to find much in the way of info or screenshots, but one tidbit of info you will discover is that Underworld Ascendant developer Otherside Entertainment is the company listed as being responsible for it. This is not surprising, since Otherside founder Paul Neurath was one of Looking Glass Studios’ founding members and along with Warren Spector, Doug Church, and Austin Grossman was one of the men responsible for the initial brainstorming that led to the original game’s creation.

Naturally, we’ll keep you updated as more info inevitably comes in.

Carl Batchelor

Carl is both a JRPG fan and a CRPG'er who especially loves European PC games. Even with more than three decades of gaming under his belt, he feels the best of the hobby is yet to come.

1. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    December 8, 2015 at 10:25 am

This better be real
    And not touched by the crap in the industry

2. Feniks
    Feniks
    December 8, 2015 at 10:36 am

Yeah I am conflicted about this. The industry loves to dredge up old franchises and coast on lost glories.

Remember Thief 4?

Often the games are nowhere near as good as the originals.

On the other hand an old Looking Glass veteran is involved so you never know…

3. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    December 8, 2015 at 10:38 am

This is exciting

For the work of an insignificant species

4. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    December 8, 2015 at 11:39 am

Since System Shock 3 will most likely take place on Earth, I’d like to see a ‘I Have no Mouth but I Must Scream’ type of dystopia. ShoDan is a female AM anyway.

5. anonme
    anonme
    December 8, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I’ll wait to see how their System Shock Remake turns out before getting excited.

System Shock formula is tough to get right. Even it’s much acclaimed spiritual successor, Bioshock didn’t quite have the right RPG/action balance. In my opinion I should say.

6. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    December 8, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I can’t help but feel really mixed if this is true. On one hand, I’ve always wanted a sequel to SS2 after that dumb cliffhanger and since Otherside Entertainment consist of many old Looking Glass members, I have a lot more faith in them than other studios. On the other hand though they haven’t really made a game to prove themselves and they’re still working on Underworld Ascendant. Guess we’ll see…

7. Danekas89
    Danekas89
    December 8, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I thought EA holds the license on this franchise? If they’re involved in ANY way count me out. Otherwise hell yes bring it on.

8. Carl B.
    Carl B.
    December 8, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I thought that too, but prior to posting this I did some digging and it turns out the rights were in some sort of, quote, “legal limbo” and whatever time limit they were blocked by went up, and the rights went up for grabs.

IMO, it works out nice for fans because say what you will about Otherside, but the work they’re doing with Underworld looks great and I’m sure Neurath will do fine with SS3.

9. scemar
    scemar
    December 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Just in time for the remake to put the franchise in the spotlight
    Sounds like this could be real guys

10. Maciej Miszczyk
    Maciej Miszczyk
    December 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm

these aren’t the same people who are making SS1 remake. they’re the guys who made the original SS1 and 2, Thief 1 and 2 and both Ultima Underworld games while working at Looking Glass and are now doing Underworld Ascendant (UU3 in all but name because EA)

11. Danekas89
    Danekas89
    December 8, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Thank God.

12. Uncle Heffy
    Uncle Heffy
    December 8, 2015 at 5:15 pm

If this is real, don’t expect anything. It’ll be like Fallout 4, and ditch almost all rpg elements to become a shooter game.

13. Grampy_Bone
    Grampy_Bone
    December 8, 2015 at 6:56 pm

WHAT

14. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    December 8, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Please be good

15. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    December 8, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Bioshock 1 was a fine game and a worthy successor to System Shock.

16. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    December 9, 2015 at 1:03 pm

My main worry with the SS1 remake and a potential SS3 is them dumbing the design down for a controller and console limitations since they mentioned console releases.

17. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    December 9, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I think he gets that, he just means it’s a hard formula to nail. Just because they worked on the originals doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to get it right again.

18. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    December 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Night Dive Studios owns the rights to the System Shock IP now. They recently bought it. It was mentioned in a previous article on NG.

19. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    December 10, 2015 at 10:11 am

I’m not sure about the remake, but looks like SS3 will be developed by Otherside, a team of Looking Glass vets who seem to have good heads on their shoulders. Their other Kickstarter, Underworld Ascendant, is PC exclusive and seems to be progressing along nicely. And they’re very much developing it with the same design philosophies they had back then. From everything I’ve seen of them thus far, they have my confidence.