Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Set to Launch on eShop

pokemon 11-12-15-1

Nintendo have announced that they will be bringing the original Pokemon games onto the 3DS eShop.

The game will be slightly update to accommodate the lack of Game Boy link cable, as you will be able to trade Pokemon wirelessly.

Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow are set to launch on the eShop on February 27, 2016.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. disqus_6DwfESMiOF
    disqus_6DwfESMiOF
    November 12, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Must download! Been waiting a long time to see Pokémon come to e-shop.

2. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    November 12, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I wish I could care but it’s really hard to go back to RBY after GSC if you ask me.

And personally I’d kill a small dog if it meant I could play pokemon sapphire on my 3DS (no AS doesn’t count) but that’s just me.

Either way good news, I know a lot of people want things like this so I won’t say it’s a waste. Just seems weird to announce VC releases like three months in advance like this.

3. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    November 12, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Still my favorite Pokemon games. I love that they’re enabling the trading feature. I’ll be buying these as soon as they release.

4. Vampok
    Vampok
    November 12, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I’m not sure why they don’t bring Fire Red and Leaf Green over instead. It’d be even cooler if they hack together a Yellow version of them as well.

5. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    November 12, 2015 at 6:12 pm

All in due time…

6. Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    November 12, 2015 at 6:12 pm

If they brought Gold Silver and Crystal to eShop I think my duck would explode.

Literally the best in the series.

7. deadeye
    deadeye
    November 12, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I’m one of the weirdos that think Pokemon has done nothing but improve
    over the years. Big problem with Gen 1 is just incredibly stupid AI and
    tiny movesets for each pokemon. Not to mention the special stat being broken as hell, and psychic types dominating everything.

8. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    November 12, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Probably the same reason the 3DS e-shop doesn’t have any GBA OR SNES games to begin with. The 3DS has trouble handling it, N3DS might be able to, but its probably not worth the hassle to do exclusive VC games.

A hacked together yellow version goes against the purpose of the virtual console, not to mention its pretty late for a season 1 tie-in remake.

The game isn’t different enough anyway, and the work to make it so would go to Game Freak being a mainline game, at that point they might as well go all out remaking the games for 3DS.

9. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    November 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Hopefully they do Gold and Silver next. Loved the first two generations as a kid. Especially revisiting the original areas in Silver years later.

10. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    November 12, 2015 at 7:54 pm

What sticks with me the most aside from the music is Starmie’s Bubblebeam when fighting it in the Cerulean gym. Sounded so epic and menacing. Loved using that move. I can see myself replaying this a lot. Getting bored every once in a while, deleting and starting over again. Gonna see Charmander evolve over and over again like when I was a kid. And catch that Pikachu in Viridian Forest! I still remember the buzz it makes.

11. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    November 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Why red and blue but not Firered and leafgreen. This just seems foolish.

12. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    November 12, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Did they just start development of the minor updates to these emulated roms today or is there a better reason why this isn’t coming out until February?

The Virtual Console has been one of the most puzzling things in gaming for nearly a decade now.

13. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    November 13, 2015 at 1:31 am

I agree, but I’m also a big nostalgiababy so I’ll buy it anyway

14. Dr.Weird
    Dr.Weird
    November 13, 2015 at 6:07 am

>not gold and silver

gen one fags please go home

15. Dr.Weird
    Dr.Weird
    November 13, 2015 at 6:08 am

as someone who emulates snes and gba on 3ds, no, no the 3ds does not have much trouble emulating them. Unless nintendo is less competent than the modding community at emulating their own hardware anyway.

16. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    November 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm

The 3DS actually has native support for the GBA thanks to legacy hardware from the original DS, the ambassador program GBA games take advantage of this.

17. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    November 13, 2015 at 6:01 pm

The modding community’s standards and Nintendo’s don’t necessarily match up. We’re talking about something that would actually be sold after all, and will have their name behind it.

18. Dr.Weird
    Dr.Weird
    November 13, 2015 at 7:51 pm

new 3ds runs smooth as fuck for emulation, older ones do however have some trouble

19. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    November 14, 2015 at 2:42 am

LOL I remember playing Yellow and using Ash’s team to beat the Elite Four. It was great.

20. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    November 14, 2015 at 2:44 am

Mewtwo was basically god tier broken back then.

21. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    November 14, 2015 at 2:45 am

That Red battle man. I’ll never forget it.

22. Sergio Montserrat
    Sergio Montserrat
    November 14, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Talking with a friend, he commented it might have been due to the nostalgia factor, and that the reissues didn’t sell as much as the originals.
    I still would love them to re-update them to modern 6th gen.

23. Sergio Montserrat
    Sergio Montserrat
    November 14, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I still play it on my original cartridge ^_^

24. androgydroid
    androgydroid
    November 23, 2015 at 10:36 pm

would have been much more excited if these were 3d remakes tbh…