Payday 2 Adds Microtransactions Despite Promising Not to, Fans are Rioting

payday 2 10-25-15-1

Swedish developer Overkill Software has been doing well for themselves with Payday 2, a game that we normally don’t cover in our regular news.

However, the developer recently (and sneakily, if I may add) implemented microtransactions to the game, a move they previously said would never happen to the game.

Now, fans are understandably concerned, upset, confused, and most especially angry – just take a look at the Payday subreddit. Overkill producer Almir Listo held an AMA to hopefully placate fans, the only problem here is they’re treating fans like unwanted children.

He refused to even acknowledge their questions, comments, and feedback regarding the Black Market update (which added the microtransactions).

Listo generally avoids even responding to any reasonable question regarding the microtransactions, instead he spews the kind of PR speak you’d hear from a big, AAA publisher.

One of the most notable things Listo said was that microtransactions are remaining in Payday 2:

“We understand that there is a lot of fury, anger and disappointment with us adding this. From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended.”

Are you a fan of Payday 2?  Do you feel like this entire thing could have been handled better? Sound off in the comments below!

1. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    October 25, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Never played it and never intend to.

2. Jumanji Joe
    Jumanji Joe
    October 25, 2015 at 7:51 pm

“we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended”

So chasing away long time players by ruining the game was all part of the plan?

3. Kaijuu
    Kaijuu
    October 25, 2015 at 7:56 pm

>From an economical standpoint… we can already see that the Black Market update is working as intended

So, uh, it’s making Overkill money? I can’t really understand how that was supposed to provide any kind of solace to fans since the complaints weren’t about any sort of misconception about microtransactions. Obviously fans are aware they were added to generate revenue.

While I’ve not played the game myself, nor do I plan on it, I can certainly share in their frustration about a developer not only going back on their word (and in a very dastardly way, adding in P2W as a supposedly “free” update for people playing the current promotion), but refusing to acknowledge why fans might be reasonably upset about it. Shame on Overkill for taking their playerbase for granted. Let’s just hope that those being vocal don’t cave and support these ridiculous business practices.

4. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    October 25, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Microtransactions?, after all these great amounts of DLC?

October 25, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Well it is a game about stealing, so putting microtransactions is rather appropriate.

6. Loli-Nox-Tan
    Loli-Nox-Tan
    October 25, 2015 at 7:59 pm

It’s not really the Microtransactions in themselfs that are the main problem, (Though they are a problem) it’s the fact that these Microtransactions come with stat bonuses

7. Landale
    Landale
    October 25, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I’ve seen a little bit of it as some friends play, but I never really had much of an interest. I might have maybe toyed with the idea of playing eventually, but, uh, this right here kind of cemented the fact that I’ll never touch it. Fucking over your playerbase and stuffing stupid memes in their face? I want no part of that.

8. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    October 25, 2015 at 8:18 pm

I never liked the game anyway.

9. Mea K
    Mea K
    October 25, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Well, if those players already bought the game and its DLC and they reject microtransactions there’s no more money to be made from them anyway. Replacing those pesky naysayers with a new generation of players that does accept microtransactions seems like it could pay off for Overkill.

Super evil, though.

10. Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    October 25, 2015 at 8:20 pm

What’s the game average down to now?

11. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    October 25, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Well, glad that outside of getting this game free on my PSN+ account, I never played this and FOR SURE will never do it. I saw the bad waters rising with the over doing of the DLC. This is just ultra greed at this point.

Hey, if that is what they were after, fine and dandy. Just don’t expect me or others to support them in their future games.

Also:

Which translate to me as:

“We know you are pissed off, but we don’t care because it is making us even more money so fuck off, assholes.”

Kinda wish they would just say this instead of this nonsense PR spin.

12. MF
    MF
    October 25, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I have put over 500 hours into Payday 2 and I am extremely disappointed with the way overkill handled this. I feel extremely alienated and generally told to “F” off. My only hope is that other developers learn from this and realize that they need to respect their player base and their game

13. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    October 25, 2015 at 8:44 pm

So its P2W where you also have to buy the actual game AND the DLC as well?! Great…

14. E M P
    E M P
    October 25, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Was fun for a few hours but got boring fast and the only friend that will play games with me is completely braindead when it comes to FPS, so it’s not healthy for my friendship either lol.

Kind of sad that Overkill flat out lied, but at least the microtransactions aren’t anything ridiculous.

15. Feniks
    Feniks
    October 25, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Ha not responding to questions on a AMA.
    Kinda defeats the point of holding one methinks.

Sad reality in all this is that a new generation of gamers is groing up who thinks microtransactions and shitty pay2win is the new normal.

Yeah I’ll stick to my single payer (J)rpgs.

16. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    October 25, 2015 at 9:05 pm

To be fair, three of those masks are just rehashes from the original Payday (not that it makes it any less cringe worthy). Honestly the masks feel like a final “fuck you” from Overkill after being called out by their fanbase.

17. Ubernoob8470
    Ubernoob8470
    October 25, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Honestly, I MIGHT (an incredibly unlikely MIGHT, mind you) have been able to swallow the microtransactions if they didn’t come bundled with that fucking rebalance update.
    After that, half the guns were worthless, easily outclassed in terms of just about everything by FUCKING HANDGUNS (the majority of which can outdamage SHOTGUNS). You can run around with massive LMGs spraying and praying with no speed penalty like there was before (oh, and due to a genius bit of coding, the minigun- which formerly gave you a 40% penalty to movement that could be negotiated down to 20% with weapon mods- MAKES YOU RUN FASTER WHEN EQUIPPED. Yep- they got rid of the penalty but forgot the “reduction” given by said mods).
    And why? To make every gun “viable” of course! That way, people will be more likely to purchase skins for them. And I think that’s the biggest “fuck you”- they’re willing to obliterate the game balance all for the sake of these microtransactions.

18. deadeye
    deadeye
    October 25, 2015 at 9:18 pm

This just shows the consumers complaining is not enough. You have to speak with your wallet. You can’t be outraged about something and participate in it, and expect to be listened to.

19. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    October 25, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I’ve never played Payday 2 but I played a few games of the first Payday and thought it was neat. Shame to see a series with promise go down this route.

20. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    October 25, 2015 at 10:05 pm

The unfortunate thing is that I guarantee there are idiots out there buying from the Black Market solely to spite people who are upset/confused with its introduction.

21. Jack
    Jack
    October 25, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Only the dankest memes allowed in our squad

22. Tsundere Vader
    Tsundere Vader
    October 25, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Right now Metacritic’s user score is 4.2

23. Austin
    Austin
    October 25, 2015 at 10:46 pm

He’s abandoned the true fans. He claims there’s no plans to go F2P, but they’ll probably have too after this. So many people are quitting.

24. Tsundere Vader
    Tsundere Vader
    October 25, 2015 at 10:54 pm

That is probably one of the most hilariously idiotic things I have EVER heard any representative of a game developer say before. I would love to see an even funnier quote if there is one.

25. Nocturnic
    Nocturnic
    October 25, 2015 at 11:19 pm

You’re not missing out anymore.

26. Adohleas
    Adohleas
    October 25, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Because of this patch, me and a few friends will never buy any new future Payday sequels released by this developer.

27. Adohleas
    Adohleas
    October 25, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Perhaps in the short term. Their future games could be permanently damaged by this.

28. Gabriel Mendez
    Gabriel Mendez
    October 25, 2015 at 11:46 pm

While Overkill may have done some unethical things, the actual game itself is still boatloads of fun! I just hope that we may see Overkill go in the right direction soon.

29. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    October 26, 2015 at 12:16 am

This sort of thing is going to be a huge trend ( if its not already) within AAA gaming or even ALL of gaming indie or non indie pretty soon. This is going to be the dark ages of gaming.

30. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    October 26, 2015 at 12:26 am

They will, I can’t say I ever really hear much about this series and it’s the only game from them I’ve heard about so I doubt EA and Activisions crowd would give a shit about them.

31. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    October 26, 2015 at 12:28 am

The moral of the story is to never trust the Swedish.

32. Meittimies
    Meittimies
    October 26, 2015 at 1:01 am

Could be the guy is under a gag order so he cant answer them at all. Which is usually the first sign of a company starting to have problems and the actual creative effort of it leaving.

33. Juan Andrés Valencia
    Juan Andrés Valencia
    October 26, 2015 at 3:24 am

Obvious “Sweden Yes!” joke.

34. Juan Andrés Valencia
    Juan Andrés Valencia
    October 26, 2015 at 3:27 am

Is this how it’s supposed to work? Also, bear in mind that the developers actually deleted some reviews and critical forum posts. The number was probably way higher than that.

35. Tahnerd
    Tahnerd
    October 26, 2015 at 3:31 am

“Leave This Lobby”

36. Softclocks
    Softclocks
    October 26, 2015 at 3:59 am

this is fucking disgusting.

37. Frostbitten
    Frostbitten
    October 26, 2015 at 6:25 am

HMHMHM, yyyyeeeesssss, yeeeeesssss. We are as soulless as we sound. We shall suck your money from your wallet like vampires suck blood. Lots of suck, less carebear PR.

38. UntamedLoli
    UntamedLoli
    October 26, 2015 at 6:28 am

I hope their review scores keep tanking after the shit they’ve pulled. I used to enjoy the game and even have the Career Criminal edition.

39. Frostbitten
    Frostbitten
    October 26, 2015 at 6:29 am

Oh they will be. 20 friends on just my list alone aren’t touching anything overkill, I’m sure there’s many more. Unfortunately a lot of them also possess 0 willpower stat and will play it anyway. They’ll always play anything no matter what and buy everything.

40. Frostbitten
    Frostbitten
    October 26, 2015 at 6:29 am

But they need it all to stay afloat!

41. Frostbitten
    Frostbitten
    October 26, 2015 at 6:30 am

The console version has been neglected from what I heard of all the bitching and super late features we’ve had forever anyway. You aren’t missing much.

42. Frostbitten
    Frostbitten
    October 26, 2015 at 6:32 am

Yeah, that statement alone has the soulless corporate PR “we are making money off you and will not change anything” I’m so used to from AAA shit. They can go to hell.

43. krandate
    krandate
    October 26, 2015 at 6:56 am

I’m pissed at the way the community has been treated. A huge number of people are but we are being called a “vocal minority.” But here I am checking in as another guy letting Overkill know I won’t buy any more DLC or touch any Starbreeze or Overkill games until they fix this. I hope their contract for The Walking Dead gets pulled and they close their doors so other developers will understand this is not how you keep a fanbase.

44. AnarKreig
    AnarKreig
    October 26, 2015 at 7:48 am

No mention of skin-kick? A lot of players that are in uproar about this choose to play the game still, but they kick everyone they find has a skin purchased. Of course, this has left people with more salty tears.

45. Karl
    Karl
    October 26, 2015 at 9:26 am

Not to mention the fact that you might get skins with the key you just BOUGHT for real money to a weapon that is in a DLC that you DONT EVEN OWN.

Which in turns means you need to buy ALL of their DLCs, unless you like the idea of getting useless skins every now-and-again.

46. Daniel Thompson
    Daniel Thompson
    October 26, 2015 at 11:38 am

So, it’s not just the micro-transactions, though that was a large amount of fuel for this fire. With the weapon rebalance and black market updates, weapons feel sorely unblanaced, and the skins that you get from the safes, which can only be opened from drills purchased from the steam store (micro transactions), give stat bonuses to weapons. Yes, SKINS GIVE STAT BONUSES TO WEAPONS. Pay 2 Win.

47. Daniel Thompson
    Daniel Thompson
    October 26, 2015 at 11:42 am

Aye, we pushed PD2’s approval rating on Steam from almost 95% down to 78% last time I saw anything about it. Pushed it to 4.7 on Metacritic. Don’t get me wrong, I will still play this, but when I have my friends online and wanting to play.

48. Doom Video Vault
    Doom Video Vault
    October 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm

The epitome of laziness and a lame way to end Crimefest 2015.

49. Doom Video Vault
    Doom Video Vault
    October 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Payday 2 has been declining in quality since the Gage Weapon DLCs. This seals the deal with Overkill not being trustworthy or investing in anymore.

50. Manny Pardo
    Manny Pardo
    October 26, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Crimefest 2014 ended with an old character returning and giving us the Dust 2 of the game (Hoxton Break out)

Spring Break gave us a new heist that closed off the plot point of who got Hoxton sent to prison

Crimefest 2015 gave us… masks…

Thanks.

51. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    October 26, 2015 at 5:07 pm

What does Sweden put out that would put off someone from destroying the whole thing?

52. Juan Andrés Valencia
    Juan Andrés Valencia
    October 26, 2015 at 5:51 pm

It’s basically Tumblr: The Country. It’s super feminist, the immigration is out of control, they give more benefits to ISIS’ militants than their own people and it’s the rape capital of the West.

Then again, a few great developers work there so… IDK.

53. Tsundere Vader
    Tsundere Vader
    October 26, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Honestly,it probably was way higher than that. Overkill literally took a shit on it’s public image, and it’s backfired big time. I wouldn’t be surprised if at one point if the negative reviews were HIGHER than the positive, though I won’t be making a positive on that because I haven’t seen what the original amount was before the damage control.

54. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    October 26, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Their response is basically friendly sounding PR speak for “we know we pissed off our fans, but we’re making money so we don’t give a damn”. So yeah, I’d say so.

Does anybody remember what it was that actually changed Microsoft’s mind about the Xbox One’s policies? It wasn’t just the massive backlash, they saw the terrible pre-order numbers.

55. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    October 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I heard that private servers can host older versions of the game, is that true?

56. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    October 27, 2015 at 2:01 am

Yeah, I know all that, apparently they got or will be getting the people at the top pushed out of office so they can stop being such laughing stocks. Isn’t UK doing the same things they did?

57. SimpleConundrum
    SimpleConundrum
    October 27, 2015 at 2:17 am

Uninstalled already. I go t tired of all the extra dlc they kept shoveling out and not fixing anything else.

58. Leftoverlunch
    Leftoverlunch
    October 27, 2015 at 8:28 am

Nope the uk is sucking chinas cock while taking it up the ass from everyone else and spitting on it’s own.

59. FalseTragedian
    FalseTragedian
    October 27, 2015 at 11:12 am

But the player character is stealing, so it should have an exploit that gives you infinite MT currency and all the DLC for free.

60. FalseTragedian
    FalseTragedian
    October 27, 2015 at 11:14 am

Single-payer JRPGs? That’ll never work. We just need a public option.
    If you like your hero, you can keep him.
    Your encounter rates will NOT go up!

61. FalseTragedian
    FalseTragedian
    October 27, 2015 at 11:15 am

The PS3 version crashed on me after the tutorial mission ended. I want my $0 back.

62. FalseTragedian
    FalseTragedian
    October 27, 2015 at 11:17 am

Still only 1/5 of reviews. If they’re censoring, apparently they’re doing so very effectively.

63. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    October 27, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Never buy a game from this company again. Pathetic lies.