English Localization for Muv-Luv Series Now on Kickstarter

Degica has opened their Kickstarter for the English localization of the entire Muv-Luv visual novel series.

The publisher was looking to raise $250,000 to bring Muv-Luv (Extra and Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative to PC, however they have already been funded! The English localization will use assets from the high-definition PlayStation 3 port, which include new options, menus, user interfaces, and more never seen in previous versions of the game.

Featured above, you can view the series’ Kickstarter pitch, including an introduction from Age-developer boss Koki Yoshimune.

A $500,000 stretch goal will bring the Muv-Luv games to both Android and PS Vita. Finally, at $720,000, Degica will localize the port of the PlayStation 3 exclusive Muv-Luv: Photon Melodies and Muv-Luv: Photo Flowers to PC.

It’s worth mentioning that Degica is also bringing various CAVE shoot-em-up games to PC, with the first game being Mushihimesama.

If you’re looking to back the Muv-Luv series on Kickstarter, you should go check out their campaign.

Editor’s Note: Article thumbnail is from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, an anime adaptation of the light novel series of the same name.

, , , , ,

1. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    September 25, 2015 at 10:20 am

Funded in less than a day, if this keeps up we have a shot at that $720,000 stretch goal :)

2. KimiNozo Guy
    KimiNozo Guy
    September 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

It should be pointed out that Total Eclipse is not an anime adaptaiton of Muv-Luv or Muv-Luv Alternative. It’s an adaptation of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, a Light Novel sidestory that also got a Visual Novel down the line.

3. Lin
    Lin
    September 25, 2015 at 10:34 am

Already put my 310 dollars in.

4. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 25, 2015 at 10:38 am

So this is the franchise that begins as a generic harem and then suddenly throws mechas and the apocalypse at you?

5. Goodbye Gravy
    Goodbye Gravy
    September 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

That’s a lot of dollars.

6. KimiNozo Guy
    KimiNozo Guy
    September 25, 2015 at 10:43 am

Starts as a harem comedy dialled up to eleven, and has a genre shift, yes.

September 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

That is an interesting use of Kickstarter. Backers can demonstrate their interest and help localize the game. It is a legitimate alternative for something so niche that is likely never to be localized.

8. Brandon Orselli
    September 25, 2015 at 10:50 am

Thanks – this has been clarified.

9. ivanchu77
    ivanchu77
    September 25, 2015 at 11:07 am

At least i won´t had to install it if it comes to Vita, still can´t figure how to install the PC version -_-

10. Hangmen13
    Hangmen13
    September 25, 2015 at 11:33 am

Had heard of the Muv-Luv Alternative series but never got into it. When Total Eclipse came out I made a casual jump into the series. Had to go through a bit of reading on Wikia and other websites to catch up what I’m missing, though generally it did hook me somewhat. I lacked the motivation to go through the visual novel, but I guess I might finally pick it up when the official English release is out!

11. bf313
    bf313
    September 25, 2015 at 11:37 am

That’s a crazy amount of money right at the beginning, visual novels have really made it. Hopefully it hits the Vita goal!

12. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    September 25, 2015 at 11:49 am

W E W

> $150 for the physical trilogy, artbook, and OST with a special display case

My wallet is fucking screaming. But with still 39 days to go, at least I got time to save up a few paychecks, I still gotta order Corpse Party Blood Drive Ever After edition too…

> an additional $50 for a kickstarter plush

N-no c’mon, I can’t take this…

> an additional $150 up from that gets me all the physical stuff
    > and a choice between a Takemikazuchi or Raptor figure

H-holy shit….$300 on this one Kickstarter…W E W…

I…I need to lie down…

13. Juhata
    Juhata
    September 25, 2015 at 11:53 am

I can only hope that the localization team does not fuck up. Muv Luv is one of my favorite VN series and it would really, really suck (to say the least) to see some gory/extreme scenes removed because of getting into Steam or the localization team being inept as fuck (or worse, because the localization team thought them as ‘problematic’). Since they said that they will be working alongside with fans, I hope they will take pointers from the guys that did the fan translation.

I’m still glad to see this happen and that many people are supporting it, though.

14. Nin
    Nin
    September 25, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I don’t blame you. There’s a ton of neat stuff in the Kickstarter; usually, all they give out in VN kickstarters are dakimura and special drawings. Which are neat, I guess, but don’t excite me nearly as much as DESTROYER-CLASS BETA PLUSHIE!

15. Hikikomori
    Hikikomori
    September 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Well even if it doesn’t come to Vita, you’ll be getting an official localized PC version which will be a lot easier to install than the Japanese version + translation patch was.

16. blackice85
    blackice85
    September 25, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Yeah I keep mixing them up too since the Total Eclipse anime was my first exposure to the series.

17. Kamille Bidan
    Kamille Bidan
    September 25, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Waiting to see if they announce a Waifu pillow of Mikoto. Best girl needs more love.

18. Kamille Bidan
    Kamille Bidan
    September 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm

The team behind it follows the official account for Twizzlers on twitter. Its safe to assume they aren’t gonna fuck it up.

That being said, I don’t doubt for a second that the steam version is going to be the all ages version, as they specifically said on the prefundia page that they were going to make a patch to add back in the NSFW stuff.

Physical copies are pretty much confirmed to be the uncensored version of the game.

19. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 25, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Why no Linux support?

20. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    September 25, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I want this really badly but I have a feeling I’ll get shafted on the physical edition somehow. $150 is also a LOT of money for VNs, even though you get all three VNs for this price.

I’ll wait until I can buy it from JAST USA or MangaGamer or some other publisher. Now that it’s officially funded I’m sure it’ll be for sale elsewhere.

21. Thisoneguys
    Thisoneguys
    September 25, 2015 at 4:23 pm

THAT I”LL BE 4 BUCKS BABY, YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?

22. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    September 25, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Yeah! The non-scale figure is what’s really eating me though. Rare figures can go upwards of $300 EASY. I just hope they don’t run out of those before I can get enough money saved up ‘~’

September 25, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Think I downloaded a fan translation of this years back.

24. Nin
    Nin
    September 25, 2015 at 6:09 pm

If you want to risk it, you should know that they only charge you money once the kickstarter is finished.

25. Lin
    Lin
    September 25, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I originally went with the 150 tier cause they ran out of Takemikazuchis. But then they added 100 more and I managed to upgrade to that tier again.

So glad.

But to be honest the Kotobukiya figs aren’t rare. It’s signed though, so you gotta keep that in mind.

26. Muscle Wizard
    Muscle Wizard
    September 25, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Muff Love

There. I did the thing.

27. daggot △
    daggot △
    September 25, 2015 at 9:08 pm

That 300USD tier is so fucking tempting. I think im going to have to get the backer kit so I can donate after its over and upgrade myself over time so i don’t stretch myself too thin.

I want that fucking backer tier.

28. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    September 26, 2015 at 3:10 am

mmmm… 18+?

29. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    September 26, 2015 at 6:52 am

As of this time, all Takemikazuchi figures in the $300 tier are gone so you better decide quickly if you want a Raptor or if you can suddenly scrounge up $800.

30. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    September 26, 2015 at 11:43 am

> $800 for both figures

That tier is already all gone too orz

And at this rate, I won’t have that much saved up in time. Chances are I’ll have to settle for that $200 tier then, at least I can get a plush c:

31. Badmojo7
    Badmojo7
    September 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Just want to point to one interesting tidbit. On the prefundia page here: http://prefundia.com/projects/view/muv-luv-kickstarter/6004/ on the faq (3) it says “Q: Will you introduce the 18+ content later on?A: Yes, we will provide a patch for this. Specifics will be given at a later date.” . They probably left it out of the main kickstarter to avoid any problems with kickstarter. So looks like a great chance that an adult official patch will be released for those who want the game uncensored.

32. snugdarkly
    snugdarkly
    September 26, 2015 at 11:27 pm

YES! Tight bodysuits are the best.

33. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Glorious F-22 is pushing people’s wallets to the limit…

O_o

34. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm

You mean genreshifted to PTSD sim 20XX.

35. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Run a VM like everyone else please. Age doesn’t have enough manpower to make rUGP good enough for Windows – much less Linux.

36. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Now I can get briefed in HD with the glorious preparation BGM. Anyone enjoyed the briefings more than the fighting section? :D

37. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 27, 2015 at 6:57 pm

But they said that it will run great on Windows 7,8, and 10. So if they can do that then they can easily do Linux. Wait a fucking minute they said it will be on Android too! Android is Linux!

38. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I’m considering holding off my purchase of PS4 so I can get the $800 tier pledge…

decisions, decisions….

39. Michael Chen
    Michael Chen
    September 27, 2015 at 7:19 pm

A ps4 can be purchased at any time, and its likely to get cheaper with time. They already announced a price cut for the ps4 during TGS a few days back. This campaign is the only chance to back Muv Luv.

40. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 9:09 pm

They probably just fixed some dll and dependencies for Windows ver. (That retarded Japanese coding).

Well yeah, more like bastardized son without the plethora window manager options.

I can’t really imagine how can someone enjoy MuvLuv in an android handset. That’s coming from someone who uses 5.0 inch S4 and Mi4i. Maybe tablet-only version?

41. XERW
    XERW
    September 27, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Dammit… can’t really argue with that. Welp, there goes my plan to buy another GPU. Hopefully they’ll branch into TE and TDA after this one delivers!

42. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    September 28, 2015 at 6:13 pm

FYI, they’ve been able to secure unlimited Takemikazuchi figures from Kotobukiya so that $300 tier no longer has limited slots (the $300 tier with the Raptor still has its limit). So you have until the end of the campaign to decide now if you really want to drop that much money on this.

43. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    September 28, 2015 at 7:33 pm

That’s great to hear! I’ll have to save up these next few paychecks then.