Shovel Knight amiibo is Announced, Will be Supported in Future Games in Series

Nintendo and Yacht Club Games have announced a Shovel Knight amiibo during their [email protected] event in Seattle.

Featured above, you can view a trailer for the new amiibo created just for the Shovel Knight. Alongside the new amiibo news is the confirmation that the free Plague of Shadows DLC for Shovel Knight is launching for the Wii U in September.

When using the amiibo with Shovel Knight, you can play cooperatively with a friend, and you can level up and customize your own Shovel Knight with relics, enhancements, and abilities. These new abilities can be used in exclusive amiibo challenge levels.

Finally, Yacht Club Games let out a tease in saying the amiibo figure will be supported in “future Shovel Knight games.”

1. Nagato
    Nagato
    August 28, 2015 at 8:01 am

Jesus bloody christ, what an absolutely awful way to go about this. I actually went from somewhat interested to “NOPE, NEVER GETTING THIS” just because they had these people make the reveal trailer.

And what in god’s name is wrong with that girl’s face and makeup?

Anyway, I hope this at least opens the door for Shantae and others to get their own amiibos as well.

2. Azure
    Azure
    August 28, 2015 at 8:02 am

Anyone going to point out that they are just selling limited DLC? How many units are they going to sell? Not everyone has Shovel Knight on WiiU and 3DS so they will never get the Co-op or bonus stage features…

3. Mea K
    Mea K
    August 28, 2015 at 8:03 am

I realize this was probably required by Nintendo to make this happen at all, but I’m never a fan of platform exclusive content…

“Future Shovel Knight games” sounds good though.

4. Breezer
    Breezer
    August 28, 2015 at 8:42 am

Oh dude that’s Suzy, Egoraptor’s wife.

She’s a confirmed ayylien and more or less had fetal alcohol syndrome.

I’m warning you man, this picture is pretty bad. It made me shiver in horror.

5. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    August 28, 2015 at 10:28 am

I don’t like the idea of needing to buy co-op through a damn amiibo. This is one of the few I’m interested in, so it’s only going to be that much more annoying when I can’t fucking find it for less than $500.

Also, obligatory “Egoraptor, I hate you please start animating again.”

6. JustaGuest
    JustaGuest
    August 28, 2015 at 10:30 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

7. Breezer
    Breezer
    August 28, 2015 at 10:35 am

Believe me man.

There are WORSE pictures of her floating around. But I’m already nauseous of a stomach virus, I fear it may actually fucking make me throw up, I already have to hold it down getting that one.

If you are a brave and fearless knight of the Internet and are somehow curious of this abomination of mankind you should go on a journey.

Oh god damn I just got sicker just thinking of THAT picture.

8. Dogbot3000
    Dogbot3000
    August 28, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I’m definitely in agreement with the belief that locking content like that to an amiibo is kind of a dick move. But at the same time, I can’t deny that I really want one just because it’s a Shovel Knight figurine. Hopefully they’ll stock enough for everyone that wants one to get one at the very least.

August 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm

All of the cringe. The statue is cool and all but I think all of the Amiibo DLC should be available to buy separately.

10. OzymandiasAeonis
    OzymandiasAeonis
    August 28, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Is this content that was backed and promised with the Kickstarter? If so they should have had a fine print that said they can well make said content for this retro style game locked to certain platforms.
    Regardless these retro style games having elusive content for certain platforms or even the game being exclusive to them is just hilarious to me.

11. DariusQ
    DariusQ
    August 28, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I haven’t bought Shovel Knight yet but like the support this game has gotten. More than anything I hope this is a sign of things to come for future releases (PLEASE have Amiibo support for Runbow).

12. Dave
    Dave
    August 28, 2015 at 4:25 pm

So, does the PC verzion get this for free?

13. Raziel Barkrai
    Raziel Barkrai
    August 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I’m not liking companies reaching out to Youtube celebrities to do their promotions. Yeah, their popularity could easily persuade their audience to buy the product, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

14. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Jesus, this amiibo crap is one of the biggest cancers on the current gaming industry. Thank god its limited to Nintendo.

DLC is already terribly implemented on most games out there, but now you are locking DLC to little ugly and expensive pieces of plastic that have limited releases. Whoever thought of that is worse than Hitler.

15. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    August 28, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Disgusting. More artificially scarce physical DLC.

16. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Doubt it. Sounds like the exclusive Battletoads and God of War kind of thing Shovel Knight had going for on the Xbone and the PS4.

Perhaps they will roll out something exclusive for the PC as well..? Knowing our luck, it will be come TF2 garbage, though.

17. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 8:47 pm

>Hopefully they’ll stock enough for everyone that wants one to get one at the very least.

Scalpers will buy them in droves.

18. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I doubt it – I bet this is some exclusive deal with Nintendo, same they got with Sony and the Xbone.

19. Haze
    Haze
    August 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Yes, if you make a mod for it.
    Be the hero the PC needs.

20. Haze
    Haze
    August 28, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Just make the toys and sell them.
    No need to put all those gameplay microstransaction elements tied to the plastic.

This is going backwards for the industry.

21. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Egoraptor will never go back to animating because Suzy doesn’t want him to. He is also damn lazy, and he gets unlimited money with his game grumps shenanigans.

Remember JForce: Unstoppable?

It could be his debut in the gaming industry proper and earn him a career and know how in game development (limited to the art department, but still very important). What did he do? Got lazy and dropped the project (because I assume working with other people means he cant take 3 years to deliver a single video). Sequelitis? You can forget that ever getting a new release.

Awesome series? Girl-chan in paradise? A distant memory.

22. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

The Yoko of the Grumps.

23. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    August 28, 2015 at 11:43 pm

“Egoraptor will never go back to animating…”
    It hurts so bad. RIP Egoraptor ;~;7

I wonder if he honestly has any back up plans though. I have a feeling that the YouTube “LOL GEEK-VIDEO GAME CULTURE AMIRITE? XD” bubble will pop one day. Will he go back to animating? Will he still have a good reputation by that time? Or even have a reputation AT ALL? What will he do when there’s no money left in video games once they fall back out of mainstream culture? He’s neglecting real skills that could take him places in the long term. Animating would be harder, but I feel like at least he’d be set for life with applicable job skills.

24. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    August 28, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Yeah, it definitely will. Youtube is too crammed with ecelebs. However, Ego is one of the old guard and has such a sizeable and, sometimes, rabid fanbase that he could possibly one of the few survivors of the bubble pop.

He does have good skills. His art style is captivating and all, and even if his skill level stagnated at that, it would still be quite serviceable for anything – I mean, the guy had his Awesome series being aired on TV at some point, and he has shown that he can use his art on games. He is also insightful as his Sequelitis series have shown, and has a good sense of humor (debatable, but the fact is a lot of people do enjoy it).

His whole problem is his terrible work ethics. I dont know why he is so lazy or unmotivated, but that could lead to a low content production, and that would be a problem. If people get bored of the whole “Let’s Play” format and he is forced back into animation, who knows how it will work out.