John Wick First-Person VR Shooter is Coming in 2016

john wick 08-07-15-1

Starbreeze Studios (Payday 2) have announced a first-person, VR shooter for the HTC Vive in collaboration with film studio Lionsgate.

The game will be developed for “most existing VR headsets” in 2016, however the first playable demo is coming to the HTC Vive headset, during the HTC Vive US and European tour later this year. A “teaser” (read: demo) version is coming to the HTC Vive later this year as well.

“John Wick is the perfect cross-platform property to extend into the fast-growing gaming world, and we believe that a cutting edge VR game will deepen fan engagement and accelerate John Wick’s evolution into one of our next big action franchises,” Lionsgate executive Peter Levin said in a press release.

The game is actually being developed by two studios, WEVR and VR studio Grab, while Starbreeze is handling the publishing rights.

1. StayingOccupied
    StayingOccupied
    August 7, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Looking forward to it.

2. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    August 7, 2015 at 5:59 pm

The movie was fucking sweet.

And there’s no way in hell they’ll make it work in vidya form.

3. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    August 7, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I was actually really surprised by how much I enjoyed John Wick. I went into it thinking I’d be laughing at a really shitty movie; I’ve rarely been happy to be proved so wrong.

4. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    August 7, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Hopefully, no one kills his dog.

5. Haze
    Haze
    August 7, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Sweet, it begins, get hype.

Here’s hoping the situation with different VR headsets progresses smoothly, and vive stuff works well with occulus and vice versa and same with other headsets.

Worst case scenario?
    There are a ton of “unified standards” attempts and they are all unique and mess with each others.

Best case scenario, they actually make stuff that works well among the different devices somehow.

We’ve got Valve promoting it’s VR platform experiment, but occulus also has its own specs and the few others that have popped up have also either adopted one of the main ones or actually trying their own thing, no word on how morpheus will work on PC as far as I know.

6. Yabloko Molloco San
    Yabloko Molloco San
    August 7, 2015 at 8:40 pm

He can’t lose so I don’t know how it’ll work.

7. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    August 7, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Brandon why do you have this listed under mobile?

So I get the impression people liked the movie a lot? I’ll have to get around to watching it eventually.

8. Vigita76
    Vigita76
    August 7, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I saw the movie and it was okay to watch to the end but movies really don’t turn out to be good games. I hope I’m wrong

9. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    August 8, 2015 at 12:50 am

Just watched it since you two spoke so highly of it.

That was the kind of action movie I can get behind. I can go on for a while about what it did right.

10. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    August 8, 2015 at 5:07 am

Glad you liked it man! I went into the film knowing “It’s a good action flick”, not knowing about the story.

11. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    August 8, 2015 at 5:07 am

Glad you liked it man!

*SPOILER* I couldn’t get enough of how just about everybody lost their shit the second they mentioned Wick’s name. And the fighting choreography + stunts were wonderful as well. Apparently there’ll be a sequel. Hope it’ll be as good!..

12. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    August 8, 2015 at 9:36 am

Yes! My wife and I LOVED that he was an obviously established character. We loved that he was a total villain, willing to look into the eyes of those he was killing. There were so many little things like trigger discipline and properly fighting with knives that just sat so well with me. I loved how he would physically overpower someone and proceed to shoot at a more present threat before giving the guy he’s on top of a good double tap.

God, so many little things. Like I said, I can gush about this movie. haha