Solid Snake’s Japanese Voice Actor: Kojima Productions is Disbanded

metal gear solid 4 07-10-15-1

We’ve learned that the situation between Kojima Productions and parent company Konami may be more dire than we ever thought.

According to Akio Otsuka, the Japanese voice actor that plays the role of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, not only is Kojima Productions disbanded, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is going to be their best work yet.

“Kojima Productions was pushed to disband, but it seems like the work that they had put their biggest effort into is almost complete,” said Otsuka in a tweet. He continued:

“I’m not bluffing when I say that I think it will become their greatest masterpiece. I couldn’t hold back. I simply wanted to say “Kept you waiting, huh?’ (laughs) However, even if this is the end, Metal Gear Solid is immortalized!”

I want to stress that while this is Solid Snake’s voice actor clearly stating the company is disbanded, this is not an official statement, despite the worrying situation circling Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions, and their status after Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is shipped.

We’ll keep you guys posted.

1. Chris
    Chris
    July 10, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I do hope that Kojima is able to group together Kojima Productions back to his own development team to make something fantastic that isn’t just MGS.

2. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    July 10, 2015 at 9:59 pm

In my time there’ll be no one else

3. PleaseHelpMe
    PleaseHelpMe
    July 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm

wow this fucking sucks but i’m not surprised by this

4. Cred
    Cred
    July 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm

oh god I hope this lives up to GREATEST MASTERPIECE hype
    wouldn’t it be one hell of a story?
    his last game at the company, his last work, never again matched, a final work of master craftsmanship that becomes an eternal classic

5. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    July 10, 2015 at 10:37 pm

At this point I’m less upset at Konami and less saddened by the apparent end of KojiPro and more curious and interested in seeing what the future holds for Kojima. I just hope he doesn’t go the way of so many other people lately where all he does is rely on name recognition to get some ripoff of his past glories funded on kickstarter. I’d love to see him set up shop again and do something truly unique once more, or maybe even partner up with one of the big three.

6. BasedWolf
    BasedWolf
    July 10, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I see this article while listening to “Can’t say goodbye to yesterday” :<

7. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    July 10, 2015 at 11:29 pm

I would like to again say this wholeheartedly:

Fuck Konami.

8. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    July 11, 2015 at 12:51 am

Yep, its over and done with. No use crying over spilled milk.

The guy’s been going on about wanting to do something else and not wanting to just be known as “the Metal Gear guy” so I want to see what else he can do, besides Zone of the Enders and Boktai.

9. phagette
    phagette
    July 11, 2015 at 1:13 am

So, when is Kojima rising from Konami’s ashes to start his own studio? Plays us all like a damn fiddle and absorbed by Hollywood?

10. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    July 11, 2015 at 4:43 am

Konami are right bastards

11. bulletbites
    bulletbites
    July 11, 2015 at 5:36 am

Offtopic but nice work on this site’s look & feel.

12. UUDDLRLR BASTART
    UUDDLRLR BASTART
    July 11, 2015 at 5:58 am

They’ll reform in zanzibar land stronger than ever.

13. DariusQ
    DariusQ
    July 11, 2015 at 9:42 am

I’m sure Kojima won’t be out of work for long. Whether he gets scooped up by another publisher or goes into business for himself the man will still be around.

14. Ryumoau
    Ryumoau
    July 11, 2015 at 10:43 am

I’m curious does anyone actually play MGS in japanese? That just seems weird to me considering that most of the characters and locations in the series is so western. And how can you not like David Hayter? :)

15. Nazurin
    Nazurin
    July 11, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hopefully this will lead to Kojima and other members of his team being able to continue developing games (not necessarily Metal Gear) with another company in one way or another.

16. pepsi
    pepsi
    July 11, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I’m going to be so disappointed if I see kojima on kickstarter asking for money for a “spiritual sequel” to metal gear.

17. Kyouraku
    Kyouraku
    July 11, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I usually do a run with the English voices then do another with the Japanese voices. And how can you not like Akio Otsuka?

18. epy
    epy
    July 11, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I read that in his voice. Ohtsuka is the only Snake for me.

19. Vick
    Vick
    July 12, 2015 at 1:20 am

What did Konami do?

20. Feniks
    Feniks
    July 12, 2015 at 3:20 am

Nothing lasts forever. Every franchise ends at some point. But at least it will end with a good game.

SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

MGS was the first game I played were dying was fun.

21. Feniks
    Feniks
    July 12, 2015 at 3:23 am

Well no because the games never had dual audio. And my Japanese is not good enough to follow the plot of MGS2 so I would need subs.

22. Viredae
    Viredae
    July 12, 2015 at 3:54 am

The faster Kojima makes his own studio, makes great games that make millions and buys out his old franchises from an anemic Konami, the better.

23. Ryumoau
    Ryumoau
    July 12, 2015 at 11:09 am

i don’t its just weird hearing those white characters speaking japanese. lol

24. Ryumoau
    Ryumoau
    July 12, 2015 at 11:10 am

it didn’t? I guess i never really checked but i just assumed most games would have that option for people interested.

25. Feniks
    Feniks
    July 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm

A lot of games don’t have dual audio sadly. FF13 didn’t have Japanese audio either. I prefer JPN voices but if I want to play these games I have to compromise. Or improve my Japanese.

26. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    July 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm

like Silent Hills, except under a different label like, “Quiet Mountains” or something.