Capcom Boss Wants to Make New Street Fighter Alpha, Rival Schools, Asks for Fan Input

rival schools 2 04-26-15-1

We’ve learned that Devil May Cry 4 director Hideaki Itsuno is hoping to make new Street Fighter Alpha and Rival Schools games.

The news comes via an interview with the Capcom boss and Famitsu, in which the creator (who previously worked on the first two Rival Schools and the original Street Fighter Alpha game) expressed his desire to return to making fighting games:

“I want to make new fighting games such as Street Fighter Alpha, Rival Schools, and so on,” said Itsuno. “I want to participate in the development of many fighting games.”

Itsuno made a plea to his fans, saying that a new Rival Schools could happen, but only if fans let Capcom know how badly they want it:

“By the way, I want to release the continuation of Rival Schools, and I have a story to tell with it, so please let Capcom know you want more of it. That’s what they asked us to do.”

So what do you guys think – would you like to see a new Street Fighter Alpha, or Rival Schools game? Sound off in the comments below!

[Editor’s Note: Japanese translations by Claude Smith]

, , ,

1. XiaomuArisu
    XiaomuArisu
    April 26, 2015 at 12:08 pm

OFC I want Rival Schools!
    This time let the school mode in US/EU please ;3

2. ftidus12
    ftidus12
    April 26, 2015 at 12:16 pm

More Rival Schools? Hell yeah!

3. ivanchu77
    ivanchu77
    April 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm

It would be Great, but after having my heart broken with darkstalkers last gen, i´m not going to hold my breath for a new rival schools ,or any fighting game from capcom that isn´t street fighter

4. Arty McBert
    Arty McBert
    April 26, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Well, first don’t give these games 3D graphics like SF4/5.

5. Lucian
    Lucian
    April 26, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I wouldn’t hold my breath over this. After the “Darkstalkers is not dead” “It’s undead” a few years back I don’t think we should have any hope of Capcom doing anything more than playing it safe and releasing well known IPs.

6. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    April 26, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Just like they did with that new Darkstalkers? I do believe they will not do it. I really would love to, but Rival Schools is dead for so long, I mean, the last one was three gens ago! And about the Alpha, it does not make sense. SF V is being developed, so, why talk about another SF? Just add more Alpha characters to SF V, I mean, so many people wants to see characters like R. Mika, Birdie and Karin back. By the way, why not get the rights for the EX characters? Skullo, Pullum and D. Dark would be fantastic.
    So yeah, I think this is just Capcom messing with the fans once again, just like they did so many times.

7. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I’d like to see a PC version of Dragon’s Dogma.

8. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    April 26, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Considering I always enjoyed Street Fighter Alpha 3 more than any of the mainline SF games, I’d be down.

9. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

…Wasn’t Rival Schools originally in 3D anyway?

10. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 26, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Second. Dark Arisen, of course.

(Think of the mods! I would love for someone to shut up 2/3rds of my pawns.)

11. michaelstearns
    michaelstearns
    April 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Fixed: “I want to make new fighting games such as sequels to old fighting games.”

12. Reset Tears
    Reset Tears
    April 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Oh god, a new Rival Schools! That would be wonderful. Such a fun and ridiculous fighting game series, and unfortunately overlooked.

13. Patrick Bateman
    Patrick Bateman
    April 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

When I read the title, I understood Capcom wanted to make a high school spin-off of Street Fighter Alpha.

14. michaelstearns
    michaelstearns
    April 26, 2015 at 2:00 pm

I strongly agree on the Alpha characters for SFV thing. Considering they’re already allowing for a sort of “arranged” optional playstyle for classic characters, it seems like turning on more Alpha-like settings would not be much of a stretch beyond what they’re already doing.

Also I want Sodom back as something other than background decoration.

15. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    April 26, 2015 at 2:41 pm

How about releasing that new gen Darkstalkers first before making more BS plans that’s never going to happen.

16. inquisitormcsagington
    inquisitormcsagington
    April 26, 2015 at 3:48 pm

I’d be down for some more Rival Schools-bring back my boys Edge & Gan.

17. vileBrenman
    vileBrenman
    April 26, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hell YES I’d like to see a new Rival schools it’s one of my fav fighting games! Too bad last time capcom said they were gonna make a new addition of an old fighter it got cancelled… (Dark stalkers)

18. vileBrenman
    vileBrenman
    April 26, 2015 at 4:56 pm

But rival schools its a 3d game…

19. Zeroized
    Zeroized
    April 26, 2015 at 8:50 pm

NO, FUCK YOU CAPCOM, I USED TO TRUST YOU, BUT I DON’T WANT TO SEE RIVAL SCHOOLS TARNISHED BY YOUR GREED LIKE MANY OTHER GAMES.
    GO CHOKE ON A THOUSAND MILLION DICKS.

20. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm

If Capcom does anything, they will probably just re-release older Rival School games to “gauge interest” in the series then say there isn’t enough interest since the game people already have didn’t sell.

21. Daniel Dussault
    Daniel Dussault
    April 26, 2015 at 9:07 pm

PLEASE more Rival Schools would be the best! Make it look like Guilty Gear Xrd!!!

22. Som P.A.
    Som P.A.
    April 26, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Rival Schools!

23. blueyedsamurai
    blueyedsamurai
    April 27, 2015 at 6:11 am

alpha with guilty gear xrd like graphics would be sweet, I’d prefer sprites but capcom wont do it.

24. Ninjagai
    Ninjagai
    April 27, 2015 at 6:56 am

The #1 thing fans should say is “We want it as much as Mega Man.”

25. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    April 27, 2015 at 8:20 am

I’m not falling for the old “Give us an input on what Capcom IP you wanna see released next” trick. After seeing how Mega Man, Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry fell through, I wouldnt be surprise if they manage to half-ass their next effort. Nevermind the fact that they said it was too complicated to release DMC4 re-release in disk format in the states while they manage to have a physical copy in Japan.

26. Hanzo Shoryu
    Hanzo Shoryu
    April 27, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I Hopefully the use the same artist as the alpha and schools series. I loved his work.

27. the food ronin
    the food ronin
    April 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm

new Rival Schools!

28. LurkerJK
    LurkerJK
    April 28, 2015 at 4:45 pm

if you want more money how about you stop letting your Android and PC presence rot away, you dickheads ?

29. Arkhound
    Arkhound
    May 1, 2015 at 12:50 am

The translation is a bit bogus.

Itsuno didn’t say he wants to make a new Street Fighter Alpha. He simply says he wants to “create a new fighting game” period, without specifying a any franchise and the side-note next to this statement says that Itsuno worked on various fighting games, which include the Alpha and Rival Schools series.

30. SexyHarmonius
    SexyHarmonius
    May 7, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Yes yes yes. Rival Schools and Alpha have my support 100%, as do other Capcom fighters in need of attention. I would love to see a return to Third Strike (as I know many others would say) and Darkstalkers, as long as doesn’t go down the same path as Street Fighter IV.