Rumor: Ni no Kuni 2 is in Development for Playstation 4

ni no kuni 04-18-15-1

Despite Level-5’s Vision 2015 press conference passing without a hint of a Ni no Kuni follow-up, it seems like a sequel might actually be in development, if a couple of insider’s words are to be believed.

So while this will be filed as a rumor for now, the first comes from Tidux, who teased his followers by saying “Yes it’s Ni no Kuni 2. #PS4 XExclusive,” and that it’s from a “3rd party studio.” He also said “no remake” when asked if it was an HD remake of an older game. Here’s where things get interesting though:

“So a sequel to #NiNoKuni is in development, trailer very soon #PlayStation4 #4ThePlayers,” said (now deleted) Markus Sjöland, editor-in-chief of Swedish gaming site PlayerSelect. When someone asked for a source, he said “someone who seen the trailer,” followed by Tidux saying “You shall not question Markus.”

So while this is definitely still a rumor for now, it’s certainly interesting to ponder about. What’s even more interesting is the fact that Tidux said it’s being developed by a third party studio, which could mean Level-5 is developing it again, or maybe they’ve handed the franchise off to another studio?

We’ll keep you guys posted.

1. Ace
    Ace
    April 18, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I thought Level 5 was too busy making shitty phone games. This is a nice surprise.

2. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 18, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Feel free to slap me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain Tidux is a known bullshitter that makes stuff up just to get some attention on Twitter.

Take this one with a tablespoon of salt for now.

3. Raspberry
    Raspberry
    April 18, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Please Level 5 fix your damn AI this time. It was a problem in Rouge Galaxy, WKC 1,2 and Ni no Kuni. I’m tired of dealing with pants-on-head retarded companions.

4. Brandon Orselli
    April 18, 2015 at 8:56 pm

The funny thing is, Japanese news blogs (that leak Famitsu and such) were reporting on it. This, was probably the only reason why I wrote about it, aside from my love for Ni no Kuni

5. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 18, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Ah, I see. Since I doubt those would source from Tidux (or at least I hope they wouldn’t), there may indeed be some validity to this.

6. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    April 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm

I hope this is true. Ni No Kuni is the only modern JRPG I can think of that contains the same charm and sense of adventure that I used to experience back in the SNES/PSX golden age of JRPGs. If this become reality, it will be a day one purchase; no second thoughts about it.

7. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 18, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Same here. This game had such a huge Dragon Quest vibe to it, to the point it felt almost like a spiritual successor. I can’t be the only one who thought of DQVIII while playing this.

8. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 18, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I feel like I’m one of the few people that absolutely hated Ni No Kuni. The story and gameplay just didn’t click with me.

9. Zizal
    Zizal
    April 18, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I mostly play JRPG’s and hated it. The gameplay was boring which is the biggest part of my enjoyment of any game.

10. landlock
    landlock
    April 19, 2015 at 12:56 am

I actually find a lot of Level-5 JRPGs suffer from boring gameplay.

11. Chris Gregoria
    Chris Gregoria
    April 19, 2015 at 2:07 am

I didn’t like it either. The battle system got caught in the middle, trying to be action-based, but ended up coming off almost as turn-based because of its controls, systems and speed. It just…it didn’t feel right.

12. Phelan
    Phelan
    April 19, 2015 at 5:21 am

Oh for god sake Tidux?! Really?

You might as well say that you source is thin air.

Guys… please update this thread, because this rumor is fake just like all Tidux BS. There is no point in giving false hope to people. It might come someday… but not because Tidux said so. He is just a fool.

13. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 19, 2015 at 9:22 am

I think all the games they made for the PS2 were great, but they’ve sorta lost their touch since then.

14. OverlordZetta
    OverlordZetta
    April 19, 2015 at 11:33 am

I’ve heard good things about BD, but that whole censorship debacle kinda turned me away. Eh.

15. TheSegaMan
    TheSegaMan
    April 20, 2015 at 1:21 am

As someone who loves the first game, I think this sounds awesome, but it also seems really odd. Why a sequel? I would love to see another RPG developed with the help of Studio Ghibli, but a straight up sequel to Ni No Kuni seems odd to me.

16. TeLin特林
    TeLin特林
    April 23, 2015 at 5:12 pm

God, I hope so. Love the game so fucking much!

17. PlayStation4Life!
    PlayStation4Life!
    June 18, 2015 at 2:03 am

yeah, hate to admit but i agree. Tho with the success of PS4 and much better hardware than the ps3. I’ve high hope for Level-5.

18. PlayStation4Life!
    PlayStation4Life!
    June 18, 2015 at 2:04 am

hah ? you enjoyed becuz it’s boring ???
    dat’s weird… anyway, not sure about you guys but Ninokuni was pretty damn good imho.

19. Jonathan Russell
    Jonathan Russell
    July 7, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I loved NI No Kuni on PS3 please bring this to PC as well!