Sega and Game Freak have Revealed Tembo the Badass Elephant for PS4, PC, and Xbox One

Remember that weird teaser from both Sega and Pokemon developer Game Freak? They’ve now revealed the game, titled Tembo The Badass Elephant, and it’s coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Featured above, you can view the game’s debut trailer. Tembo is set for a digital release some time this summer, and it puts you in control of an elephant who tries to stop the destruction raining down upon his city. Gameplay is definitely a mix of 2D side-scrolling, with a bit of wacky action.

Here’s the game’s full outline, courtesy of Sega:

Shell City is plunged into a state of emergency after coming under attack from the devastating forces of PHANTOM, led by a mysterious masked commander. Terrifying war machines emblazoned with skulls tear through the city leaving a trail of destruction in their wake! As the National Army struggles to contain PHANTOM, General Krenman sees the mammoth task at hand and calls upon the only thing that stands between Shell City’s obliteration and its salvation; the peanut chompin’, villain stompin’, PHANTOM romping BADASS Elephantidae… TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT!

Aided by his faithful avian companion Picolo, it’s up to Tembo to jump, smash, punch, swing and butt stomp his way through the PHANTOM hordes as he aims to bring about the end of their tyrannical onslaught. Featuring 17 cleverly designed 2D side-scrolling levels, a whole host of deadly enemies and unique comic book style art, Tembo The Badass Elephant is the heaviest action adventure of the year…weighing in at about seven and a half tons of fun.

1. Landale
    Landale
    March 11, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Kind of disappointed it’s not a new Pulseman, but I suppose it’ll be worth keeping an eye on for now at least.

2. Actii
    Actii
    March 11, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I kinda feel disappointed with this… It looks like a generic platform game with cools visuals. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure that it will be a solid game, but this new feeling of EVERYTHING INDIE it’s starting to get me annoyed, Maybe that’s just me.

3. Landale
    Landale
    March 11, 2015 at 1:01 pm

After watching the video a couple times, I feel it’s less “generic platform game” generally and more “Sonic the Elephant” specifically. But maybe that’s just because the elephant keeps rolling up into a ball.

4. Phil F.
    Phil F.
    March 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I’m sure the “generic platformer” look is just because they’re having trouble making something that isn’t pokemon for once, and not because they were aping the indie scene.

Seriously, the last platformer they did was like, almost a decade ago.

5. Nin
    Nin
    March 11, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Well, it seems like the game is about dashing through everything rather than just dashing, so I sorta see what you mean with Sonic the Elephant

6. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    March 11, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Well that’s underwhelming.

March 11, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Uh okay? It looks interesting but somehow it was very much not what I had imagined.

8. Dimi Gronnings
    Dimi Gronnings
    March 11, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I was ready to hate this, but it seems like it might actually be fun.

9. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    March 11, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Sonic the Elephant, indeed. The stutter every time he collides with an enemy or obstacle is driving me insane. I think I’ll pass.

10. Anonymous
    Anonymous
    March 11, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Hey look, it’s a new IP, a 2D platformer with sleek non retro pixel graphics, with an unusual premise and protagonist and what looks like fun game mechanics.

I see people disappointed for some reason, maybe it’s not some sort of mind blowing pokemon x sonic collaboration they were expecting when they heard gamefreak and sega but come on, this looks good, let’s give it a chance.

As a fan of platformers this game has my attention. Looking forward to more of it.

11. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    March 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm

To my eyes, it looks derivative and the attack style is a turn off for me (Sonic style homing attacks, it seemed). To each their own, and if it comes out to great praise, I’ll certainly give it a shot, but my initial impression isn’t positive.

I also kind of wanted a new Pulseman, even though I knew that was really unrealistic.

12. Omnistrand
    Omnistrand
    March 11, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Haha, whatever everyone was expecting I don’t think “Badass Elephant” was a very common guess.

13. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    March 12, 2015 at 2:26 am

Er….ok. It doesn’t look bad.

14. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    March 12, 2015 at 3:09 am

This isn’t their first non-Pokemon game though. Does Harmoknight ring any bells? I get the feeling Game Freak mostly wrote the story and helped program, and a lot of the gameplay ideas are SEGA. That might be why it feels like Sonic the elephant to some.

It looks neat, but I was kinda hoping for a bigger project from a Game Freak and SEGA collaboration, mainly because I want to see Game Freak do something outside Pokemon besides small indie-style games. The last ‘big’ game they made was Drill Dozer.

15. Phil F.
    Phil F.
    March 14, 2015 at 9:47 am

Harmoknight simply doesn’t count. It’s not a platformer, it’s a rhythm game.

16. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    March 15, 2015 at 5:27 am

So? You said “they’re having trouble making something that isn’t pokemon for once”, which simply isn’t true. Its also considered both, its a cross between the two genres. Therefore, yes, its a platformer.

17. Phil F.
    Phil F.
    March 16, 2015 at 1:15 am

It’s not really a blend though, it’s just a rhythm game that is fashioned to look like a platformer, but it’s simply not a platformer since all the “platforming” is just timing your jumps/attacks with the music.

18. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    March 18, 2015 at 5:43 am

Regardless, its still categorized as a rythm/platformer, and there isn’t much difference between timing a button press for a jump and timing one for a rythm sequence to clear it as far as mechanics go.

Unlike past projects this is a collaboration though, so who knows who actually did what. We don’t actually know what Game Freak’s role was. For all we know, they just helped with programing, character design, and stuff like that, while SEGA were the ‘brains’ of the opperation.