More Info About Falcom’s New Dungeon RPG, Tokyo Xanadu

tokyo xanadu 2015-02-27 4

Falcom announced Tokyo Xanadu in December (click through for awesome art), and recently switched the game’s official website on, which is how we now know that the game is a dungeon-crawling RPG.

In Tokyo Xanadu, average high school student, Kou Tokisaka, lives in Morimiya on the outskirts of Tokyo. On his way back from work one late night, he sees Asuka Hiiragi, a schoolmate of his, being accosted by a group of delinquents who try to corral her into an alley. Kou follows them down an alley, intending to help … and sees the delinquents being devoured by a monster known as a Greed. Then Asuka appears, unsheathing a blade that shines with blue light.

Tokisaka’s parents are working overseas, so he lives alone. Instead of participating in extracurricular school activities, he works at several part-time jobs. When he sees someone in trouble, he’ll help them, which has landed him in trouble before.

Asuka, Kou’s classmate, has recently returned from the US. She’s pretty much perfect—has good looks, excellent grades, great athleticism, and is well liked—and just so happens to also investigate an otherworldly realm called Xanadu at night, under orders from a clandestine organization.

Phenomena called eclipses cause the real world and Xanadu to overlap at special Gates. Such phenomena remain invisible to normal people, but Tokisaka and Hiiragi are not normal people.

At these Gates, labyrinths house extradimensional spirits called Greed, against which normal weapons are ineffective. Only Soul Devices can hurt them.

Those who have ties to Xanadu can manifest these special weapons made of spirit particles and materials from the other world. While normal physical attacks do little to the Greed, Soul Devices are very effective at damaging them. No two such devices are ever alike. The first device pictured above is Tokisaka’s weapon, a sword whip called Anchor Gear. The second weapon above is Hiiragi’s.

Xiphones, pictured above in the last image, are personal information terminals that are similar to smartphones, with one important difference: they can provide verification of their owner’s physiological data, which is useful for a variety of services.

That’s about it for now.

Tokyo Xanadu will be coming out later this year in Japan, on the PS Vita. We’ll be keeping you updated as we find out more.

Dimi Gronnings

With over ten years' experience as an editor, Dimi is Niche Gamer's Managing Editor. He has indefinitely put a legal career on hold in favor of a life of video games: priorities.

1. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    February 28, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Looking forward to this. I’m really interested in what it can offer story-wise, though it’d be fun to play as a chain-sword character who isn’t Ivy. haha
    Hopefully it’s good enough for xseed to bring over stateside.

2. NathanEH
    NathanEH
    February 28, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Looking forward to it, so long as it runs at native resolution. I’m no graphics snob, but I’m so sick of blurry, fuzzy, ugly games on Vita. Freedom Wars shows gaming on Vita done right, and it looks fantastic. Here’s hoping this game can pull that off too, because it’s really interesting and I’d like to play it without distraction.

It also looks a bit like a 3DS game. Again, no graphics snobbery intended, but the power level gap between 3DS and Vita isn’t exactly what Sony promised when the system was unveiled. Not exactly seeing much Metal Gear Solid IV caliber stuff on the system. I shudder to think of what sub-native resolution it would have to run a game at to allow it to look that good…

Anyway, I love my Vita, and I’m ALWAYS happy to see more games announced for it that aren’t dating simulators or quasi-RPG’s. I only wish Sony loved it as much as I do.

3. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    February 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Well, for a dead console, the Vite sure have some good games coming. Now, just imagine if Square also released Type-0 for it…

4. Phelan
    Phelan
    February 28, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Whole issue with Type-0 was turning point in SONY’s policy toward Vita.

They were absolutely sure that Type-0 will be coming to Vita, just check how Shahid Kamal acted after they announced that it will be coming to Vita (by mistake). He was so sure of himself… like “it IS US who brought it, thank us!”

When it turned out that it will be coming to PS4 they lost their gambit which had potential of turning the tides of Vita sales. So yeah… Square Enix is also responsible for the state of Vita.

The sad part about Vita is that there are many great games… but most of those were never localized for West…

5. Anonymous
    Anonymous
    February 28, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Calling it now, there will be a PS4 and PC port down the road.

6. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    February 28, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I believe it could be the case if Type-0 became a Vita exclusive. But Sony decided to kill the console a long time ago. Just imagine if the Vita had Monster Hunter, the newest Phoenix Wright, if that new Musou Dragon Quest also got a Vita release, big hitters from Japan… Hell, Sony itself almost have no games for the Vita. But I’m very happy with the console itself. The only real problem with it, well, two problems, are: Only one account per console, a limit no other Sony console had, and the stupid memory card… I hate that memory card.

7. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    February 28, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I sure hope so!

8. Phelan
    Phelan
    February 28, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I completly agree. SONY did really everything to fuck up with Vita.

Few days ago, I wrote longish post on one forum about Vita:

It is called “History of failure”. I started reading press informations starting from 2012-2014, and quickly realized that they fucked up everything. really… there is not a single thing which they did right.

9. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    February 28, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I know this is not the kind of stuff people should say, but Sony died for me after the Vita. See, I own a Wii U and it’s really just getting a bit of dust these days. But I can’t deny that even with the console doing bad, because it really is, let’s be realistic here, Nintendo is trying to attract the fans (I’m not a Nintendo fan and my first Big N console was the Wii U). See, they had Bayonetta 2 bundled with Bayonetta, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong with David Wise, Splatoon is coming, a new Zelda and a new Star Fox, new Xenoblade, and, of course, a New Smash Bros. They are trying. Sony just want us to make our Vitas become PS4/PS3 controllers… And that not only hurts, but it is disrespectful towards the consumer base of the console.
    Well, I’m mad because I really enjoyed the Vita, I had a blast with games like Dragon’s Crown(the cooking mini game is just perfect on Vita), Tearaway, Muramasa Rebirth, Ys… But I better stop ranting. The Vita was a very unlucky product, but I’m sure not disappointed with it. But Sony sure lost a customer for life after this. The Vita will close my PS collection, and it will be a very interesting end to it.

10. Phelan
    Phelan
    February 28, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Vita sold like 2kk more units than Wii U which was released at the same time.

And Vita is supported like 10 times less than Wii U… I don’t get it… how it is possible to fuck up this much when you have device more powerful and simply better than 3DS.

How come it is viable for Nintendo to buy games for Wii U… and SONY consideres it only as a coaster mug… I don’t get it…. that is why I’m currently on hold with decision about buying PS4…

So yeah, I agree with you.

11. MrAndrewJ
    MrAndrewJ
    March 1, 2015 at 12:56 am

I would want to give this a shot if it makes its way to North America. With some of the recent sales, my Vita has even been hosting some new JRPGs lately.

12. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    March 1, 2015 at 1:32 am

I can’t wait to hear more about this as development continues. Falcom is a reliable name for me.

13. lpchaim
    lpchaim
    March 1, 2015 at 10:28 am

As far as my tastes go, yeah, it does. Hard to argue that with people who mainly expected western AAA-lite titles though, which was the Vita’s initial market push.
    So much untapped potential in this little thing… It’s a real shame it’s mostly a niche zombie right now, even though I love that kind of thing.
    =(

14. Soaringfalco
    Soaringfalco
    March 2, 2015 at 2:04 pm

The answer to your question as to why Vita has failed in the west is very simple people don’t want console quality games on a handheld device, Sony was just to ambitious and since console quality games require a lot of resources and a lot of man power it just wasn’t viable at the current state that Sony is facing, so when the Ps4 sold way beyond there expectation they shifted there internal resources to the PS4. My opinion as to why vita is doing better in Japan is do to popular Japanese franchises such as Gundam and anime/manga/light novel and visual novel properties where they can collaborate and do cross promotion and also the Japanese expertise in making low budget mobile games.

15. Phelan
    Phelan
    March 2, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Eeeerm…. no… ?

not even close.

The problem is that there is not enough B-AA games. 95% are either multiplats or indie shovelware released on PC/Mobile phones ages before it comes to Vita.

If you would read the what I wrote in the link (yeah I know it is long) you would get why it’s not doing good. Vita at first sold below expectation in Japan (THAT IS RIGHT, IT DIDN”T SELL), that is why SCEJA started encouraging 3rd party developers to create games for it. In Europe/NA nobody really cared about what is happening with Vita. 3 months after release in Europe Jim Ryan the biggest moron and CEO of SCEE was sure that they don’t have to do anything to help vita sell better. Even more, when he was asked about games that were at the time in development for jp market he said that they don’t need to help localize those because those “wouldn’t really resonate with the Western world” which is complete BULLSHIT because that content helped to sell PSP in previous gen.

What is more you are speaking about PS4… but Vita was released like 2 years before! And you know what? In 2012 during E3 they spend less time talking about NGP/Vita than they spent on talking about PS Move and PlayStation Mobiles (both already dead)

So no… it is all about support… or rather lack of it.

16. Soaringfalco
    Soaringfalco
    March 2, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I agree with what you said sure I’m no expert, but totally the biggest misconception that is that Japanese games don’t sell well in the west which isn’t the case.

17. Phelan
    Phelan
    March 2, 2015 at 3:53 pm

agreed. And for that you can blame morons like Jim Ryan.

PSP sold because of those games: FF games, Dissidia, VC, Trails in the sky, Disgaea and many more. Even on PSV games like P4G or FF X were selling quite nicely.