Christian Allen Interview—Swatting, Scrapped Game Concepts, and Jet Fuel

epsilon 02-03-15-1

So I had the opportunity to do a live interview with Christian Allen, formerly of Halo Reach and Midde-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Instead of devoting the entire interview to #GamerGate, we covered a wide variety of topics including censorship, #GamerGate, online vitriol, and more.

You can find our interview below:

In case you missed it, we conducted two interviews prior to this one, which you can find here and here.

Christian Allen’s development studio, Serellan, is working on a new sci-fi, anime-inspired shooter of sorts, named Epsilon (featured above). You should head on over to their forums to submit questions for their Q&A, here.

1. masterninja
    masterninja
    February 4, 2015 at 1:12 am

Damn its over an hour long I have to get back to this later today im very crurious

2. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    February 4, 2015 at 3:37 am

Yeah, this actually has me wondering if at some time possibly we can get a transcribing of it- or at least the really important points touched on. ._.

3. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    February 4, 2015 at 3:21 pm

If it was a half hour thing they could force it into the podcast, but I really hate when people force thing into podcast. It just gives the impression that the host is lazy and uncreative, besides by giving him a full hour, we get a full picture of what the developer is up to.

4. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    February 5, 2015 at 12:41 am

Can we get a transcript? I can read faster than having to sit through the whole thing.

February 5, 2015 at 7:19 am

What an amazing interview!

The range of questions and the honest simple answers were spot on.
    Even if Mr. Allen is not a GamerGate supporter he saw the ABC interview for what it was – a sensationalist piece of media garbage. I reckon most gamers will recognize that too.

His points about gamer ownership were great. The interactive nature of the medium makes the player part of the creation process of the final experience.

It was so refreshing hearing from a developer who genuinely likes games and is part of the culture. We’ve been seeing the cold corporate faces of Ubisoft and EA and the douchebaggery of the indie scene for so long that a disconnect was created. This interview reminded me that the creators are gamers too. Thanks!

6. Waswat
    Waswat
    February 5, 2015 at 8:25 am

Why not listen to it on the road while driving? Or while on a bike?

February 5, 2015 at 9:25 am

Or <..> while at work.

8. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    February 5, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Because I don’t have an MP3 player, and my car doesn’t either?

9. Waswat
    Waswat
    February 5, 2015 at 5:57 pm

smartphone?

10. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    February 5, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Illegal to use while driving?

11. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    February 7, 2015 at 4:41 am

It takes me 10 minutes to drive to work though, so….