Hideki Kamiya: Multiple Publishers Turned Down Bayonetta 2

bayonetta 2 10-14-2

Hideki Kamiya, one of the leads on Bayonetta 2, once again took to Twitter to talk about all of the trouble that Bayonetta 2 faced when it was stuck in development hell.

The game was faced with many a studio and publishing company turned the game down. It wasn’t until Nintendo stepped in that the game was able to move forward. Here are the tweets (via Nintendo Everything) which he sent out:

“I think I have discussed this many times before but here goes… First of all, we [Platinum Games] are developers and receive support from publishers by making games that they request or suggest.

As for Bayonetta, we developed the game after signing a deal with SEGA. Later it was decided to also develop the sequel, so we started working on Bayonetta 2.

When development had progressed to a certain degree, in SEGA’s situation it turned into “This isn’t a good plan”, so development halted temporarily.

Without funding we didn’t have the possibility to continue development, but we wanted to get this partially developed Bayonetta 2 available to the public one way or another. So we offered it to various publishers, but as it is a big title, we couldn’t find a partner company. Finally, Bayonetta 2 was about to get terminated completely, when…

Nintendo came in and lent a hand and we were able to restart the development we so desired. Finally the game was released last week, so in five years, we were able to make Bayonetta 2 available to the public.

Knowing those circumstances, if someone is still angry for heading towards Nintendo, I wonder what’s the reason for that, wouldn’t you tell me in a way that is easy to understand?

As I have said earlier, if you want Bayonetta 2 on PS4 or Xbox One, how about trying to ask Nintendo… If Nintendo doesn’t say yes, it’s not going to happen… While you’re at it, try asking for Mario and Zelda too…”

It isn’t hard to see, looking at the last few tweets, what brought this on. It would appear he had been pestered by fans to bring the game to other consoles.

Of course, these tweets also make it quite apparent that Nintendo will not be likely to relinquish the game’s rights any time soon.

Chris Gregoria

I'm a pretty chill guy. Huge video game fan, but a bigger anime fan. I also love to write - obviously.

1. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    October 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Good thing the game was made eventually.Sadly I do not own a WiiU and I don’t have the funds to buy one just yet.Still they did a good job supporting a cool dev so if I’ll buy a new console that will probably be a WiiU.

2. Eliah Ryan
    Eliah Ryan
    October 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I bear no ill will towards either party, Nintendo is a business looking to make a profit and Platinum just wanted to create their vision, I am sure they would have taken a cross platform deal if there was one on the table.

3. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    October 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, that’s the type of attitude we should take with games with shaky footing like Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101. Ambitious projects with large budgets but not much chance of selling fantastic.

Scalebound is likely to be another one.

4. nonscpo
    nonscpo
    October 1, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Agreed people need to stop fan-boying and realize that nobody other than Nintendo believed in the existance of this game. It sucks to have to buy a console you don’t care about but guess what you can always buy it used! On another note what are people predicting sales wise for this game? I think half-million might be plausible in western sales.

5. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    October 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I think Kamiya persona on twitter is… not really good to follow, but I praise his honesty. This is so simple! Well, try to ask Naughty Dog to release The Last of Us for PCs, or to EA to sell Call of Duty on Origin. Anyway, I own a Wii U, not a great console, but good enough, and I own W101. Can’t wait to play Bayonetta 2, and I hope it’s really good. Maybe, one day, they release a new Bayonetta for the PS2. Remember that now we can play games like Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy on a Xbox 360, so, maybe in the future this changes.

6. nonscpo
    nonscpo
    October 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm

That Bayonetta for the PS2 should be amazing! by the way not sure if the EA/Origin example was that great, but then again what do I know.

7. Michael Anon
    Michael Anon
    October 1, 2014 at 7:56 pm

It’s good that the game is being made, bad that it’s on a platform that LITERALLY only has two other games I’m interested in. I have never found Nintendo’s games enjoyable in the slightest. I’ll probably pick up a Wii U in a couple of years, so I can play Xenoblade Chronicles X, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2.

8. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    October 1, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I have a bad feeling that this game is not going to sell well.

9. bf313
    bf313
    October 2, 2014 at 12:11 am

It’s the driving force behind me buying a Wii U and I can’t be alone in that regard. It might not do great but at least it’s getting made and might sell a few Wii U’s.

10. bf313
    bf313
    October 2, 2014 at 12:18 am

I respect Nintendo so much for having the balls to save this franchise. Makes me sad to think that publishers may have stayed away from the game because it was risque.

11. Eliah Ryan
    Eliah Ryan
    October 2, 2014 at 2:13 am

I understand why people might be angry but that anger really shouldn’t be directed at people or companies in this situation, sometimes the only thing to get angry at is the universe.

12. landlock
    landlock
    October 2, 2014 at 3:26 am

It certainly bombed in Japan. Hopefully it’ll do better here.

13. TalesOtaku21
    TalesOtaku21
    October 27, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Games like MGS (Konami), DMC (Capcom) and FF (Square Enix) are not owned by small time companies like Platnium and are able to fund their own projects. Bayo 2 is exclusive because Nintendo paid for it.

Call of Duty is also owned by Activision, not EA. You’re thinking Battlefield. TLoU was published by Sony, so same story here and why neither game will see other consoles.

Bayo 2 is an example of Nintendo’s third party support campaign….want more third party games on Wii U? Buy current third party games.

14. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    October 27, 2014 at 6:08 pm

The funny thing is, people reallly didn’t get the joke: Yes Call of Duty is owned by Activision and is the direct competition to Battlefield, that’s why, no, you will never find Call of Duty on Origin. And frankly, I’m not worried about third party games on the Wii U: I already consider this console as a “Dreamcast”. It might have some good games published by third parties, but the big hits are far away from it. There will be no MGSV, no Call of Duty, no Yakuza, no Tales of, no KOF, no Diablo, no Street Fighter IV, no MK X,

no Fifa, no PES, and so on. Basically, I this next year will be the last of this console, even for Nintendo. The 3DS is still selling pretty well, so they will hold on until their next console. Bu this is only my opinion. And just to be known, I have a Dreamcast, and it sure have much more interesting games than the Wii U probably will have, so, we Wii U owners are lucky that Nintendo is good on cash, or it would be much worse already.