Why Sony Relegating the Vita to “an Extender” of the PS4 is a Bad Thing

playstation vita 06-12-14-1

If you’re a Playstation Vita fan, Sony’s E3 2014 press conference must have been pretty hard to stomach. The piece of hardware has been slowly shoved away into its own little corner, while Sony’s new show pony, the Playstation 4 and its games, is getting the spotlight.

A fan noticed this and pointed to a piece by Gamasutra, which is actually citing an interview Edge did with president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Andrew House, upon which he said a very worrying statement regarding the Vita:

“We’ve taken a more holistic view with our platforms. With Remote Play, Vita has now essentially become an extender or an enhancer for the main platform for other rooms in the house, or when someone else wants to use the main screen.”

So now Vita fans have to deal with the platform being relegated to just “an extender” for the main platforms in your household, not the dedicated piece of gaming hardware that it was designed to be. Sony Europe’s Shahid Kamal responded to this over on Twitter:

“My team is working on over 70 games for Vita. The rest of the company is working on many more.”

Naturally, this kind of news got both negative and positive attention, as many fans were either happy to hear this, or simply started crying out “ports!,” or “not enough AAA experiences,” but I digress.

Many Playstation Vita fans who were anticipating the release of the Playstation 4 had caution with the fact that Sony was highly touting the remote play features of the system. I was madly in love with the newborn support that Sony had for the service that was essentially discarded during the Playstation 3 and PSP era, but now I have concerns as well.

It’s a well known fact that Playstation Vita sales have been regularly floundering, and that developer support has somewhat been dialed back to indies, ports of indies, and the handful of unique, original experiences that come every other month or so. As a day one supporter of the handheld, I can’t say that I’m dissatisfied with the device, but I wish it did better.

The system was made to be literally a portable home console, much like what the original PSP was promised to do. Ever since then, I’ve seen other outlets fart all over Vita versions of games for being inferior of their console counterparts, or sometimes even simply groaning and complaining that they were only on the Vita. It’s somewhat silly to see some people say that there aren’t enough games, while others getting mad when something new and cool is only coming to Vita.

With the Playstation (Vita) TV coming west now, Vita owners worldwide (myself included) are probably even more worried about the future of their dear, dear handheld. The unit is practically a replacement for the handheld, and it’s even cheaper – so will we see developer support erode away? It could possibly pick up a bit, but who knows at this point. Ask any Vita owner, the lifetime of the system has been nothing but a rollercoaster.

If you’re a fellow Playstation Vita owner, how do you guys feel about this? Will you ever consider selling the handheld, or do you still have hope that a golden age will come to the platform?

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of, and should not be attributed to, Niche Gamer as an organization.

1. Zanthos
    Zanthos
    June 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’m very worried because I love the system, it has great games but Sony is treating like a black sheep now. It’s nice to remote play FFXIV on it, but still, it’s a console, it deserves it’s own respect and games. Uncharted is amazing on it, Soul Sacrifice is excellent, even Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 play very well on it and those are more high profile games. Many many more low profile, niche and indie games to play so saying it doesn’t have any games is absurd. I think we’re seeing Sony abandon it even though sales show up 300% with Persona 4 ‘ rerelease.

2. Zanthos
    Zanthos
    June 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm

You know, in all of that reply, I never actually answered the question, which my answer is I believe all we’re going to see are indies now. What’s funny is fighters like MvC3 work, shooters like Killzone play well, RPGs will always play well, but there’s just no support anymore. It’s a shame, but I’m never selling it.

3. bf313
    bf313
    June 12, 2014 at 2:02 pm

This E3 killed my PS4 hype and now I can’t see myself buying one for a few years down the line. Having just bought a Vita though I am more than happy with the incoming games for the platform. Freedom Wars, two Senran Kagura games, Akiba’s Trip, Oreshika, Gravity Rush 2, Danganronpa 2,Sword Art Online, and possibly further localizations from Bandai/Namco (Digimon) are all positives to me. Sony needs to treat it like a real system, not an accessory.

I am extremely sick of the indie games though, I just can’t believe that some of those games are $15 and yet look like they could be 20 years old or should be on the app store for $1.

4. Koroma Seraph
    Koroma Seraph
    June 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Often had considered it but never bought a vita it has some good games but wayyy too many get left in japan. xseeds been showing it alot of love however it just can’t compete against the 3ds for english games in my opinion.

5. Zanthos
    Zanthos
    June 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm

And even with the majority of those being Japanese based games, it’s still way below average in Japan. For those that own the system it’s great, for those that don’t, all they see is Japanese Japanese Japanese.

6. Zanthos
    Zanthos
    June 12, 2014 at 2:17 pm

My perfect game on the Vita was Uncharted. Amazing to look at, played very well utilizing every feature of the Vita and people love it. Uncharted 2 on PS3 was the reason that system flew off the shelves, I can’t help by ask the over asked, obligatory question “Why not make another?”

7. DarkAngelRafael
    DarkAngelRafael
    June 12, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I love my PlayStation Vita and use it often. I believe what’s missing is an exclusive that can only be done and played on PS Vita like Bravely Default on 3DS. If the Vita had more exclusives like those then I believe Vita would actually live up to it’s name. It’s much more powerful than the 3DS and can do much more. Software is what drives hardware and PS Vita only has a handful of great games exclusive to the platform. It saddens me because the PS Vita is everything I’ve wanted the PSP to be but at this point even the PSP has more gems in its library than the PS Vita. Still looking forward to the releases.

8. Brandon Orselli
    June 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Yeah it saddens me as well as I feel that the Vita is a superior piece of hardware, but the 3DS has more games coming to it that get my all hot and bothered. The Vita is still getting a good amount, but nowhere near as many.

9. Brandon Orselli
    June 12, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I think the ongoing rumor is that Bend is working on a PS4 game, possibly a new Syphon Filter game. It’s a shame, because Sony is taking most of their internal teams off Vita development. We’re still getting Gravity Rush 2 at least, but who knows when that will come out..

10. Brandon Orselli
    June 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm

This is true, there are quite a few games that get left behind, but at least there’s no region lock right? You still have to go through the whole PSN account switching debacle (which is annoying in itself) but you can still pop in a Japanese or European cartridge.

11. Brandon Orselli
    June 12, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I think they didn’t have much for PS4 as well, but I still am excited for Gamescom and TGS. Who knows what else may lie in wait.

I do agree with the pricing on indie games… unless they’re amazing, I don’t want to pay more than $7-10 dollars.

12. RealGamerNewz
    RealGamerNewz
    June 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Truth be told the PlayStation Vita had an extremely popular Final Fantasy VII HD Remake Rumor circulating for a long time before the title released.

Franchises like this and Shenmue are potential areas Sony and their partners like Square Enix etc *could* have tapped into to make the Vita what they promised. Since they didn’t, it seems like better-late-than-never might never happen.

It could just be an issue of developers not wanting to create the projects that fans want.

13. RealGamerNewz
    RealGamerNewz
    June 12, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Let It Die by Suda 51 seems very interesting to me.