Warner Bros. and Monolith Productions have revealed the first screenshots for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. The game is a sandbox action RPG where you play as Talion, a half ranger half wraith warrior who is hell bent on revenge.
Here are some of the key features detailed in the reveal:
- Talion – Players take the form of Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance.
- Mordor – Set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor begins on the night of Sauron’s return to Mordor, throwing the region into turmoil.
- Nemesis System – Discover a powerful and dynamic next-gen gameplay mechanic that allows players’ actions to shape enemy relationships and characteristics, creating personal and unique stories and gameplay arcs that remain persistent even after death.
- Wraith abilities – Players command Wraith Powers to orchestrate and execute their vengeance to outwit enemies, infiltrate the ranks, and dominate within an adaptive world.
- Melee combat – A multitude of enemies will require different tactics, encouraging the player to advance their skills, abilities and weapons to become legendary through a system of rune rewards crafted according to the player’s strategy.
Warner Bros. and Monolith Productions also shared the game’s official story synopsis, which you can check out below:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dark story of retribution as players will assume the role of Talion, a ranger who loses everything on the night of Sauron’s return to Mordor. As Talion’s personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis.
With a dynamic next-gen game environment powered by the Nemesis System, players orchestrate their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will; ensuring a unique experience to all players. Every enemy players face is a unique individual, differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses.
Enemy encounters create personal archenemies specific to every gameplay session. Players must outthink each distinctively different enemy to infiltrate the ranks and dominate within the dynamic world that remembers and adapts to their actions and choices.
Finally, here are the debut screenshots that were revealed as well:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is currently in development for Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC.