Game Boy Makes a Comeback via Hyperkin

I have many fond memories of the original Game Boy, considering it was the first truly portable form of gaming for me – and many others. While Nintendo is only up to re-releasing the Super Nintendo at this point, Hyperkin has beaten them to the punch with an unofficial reproduction of the original Game Boy.

The Los Angeles-based peripheral and hardware manufacturer revealed (via Gizmodo) what they’re tentatively calling the “Ultra Game Boy” at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show.

Here’s a look at the new hardware:

The chassis itself is made of aluminum as opposed to the original Game Boy’s plastic shell, and even has the same volume and contrast dials the original piece had. However, there’s a glorious backlighting to the LCD display, which you can turn off for the authentic Game Boy experience.

As per the source, the display can show the “entire RGB spectrum,” and with the added speculation (Editor’s Note: It’s not confirmed it can play Game Boy Color cartridges. We’ve reached out to Hyperkin) it can even play Game Boy Color cartridges as well, you’ll be able to have both that monochromatic and the full-color look each generation of Game Boy had in one unit.

As for batteries, the Ultra Game Boy packs a 6-hour rated lithium ion battery and a USB-C port for charging, and a pair of stereo speakers over the original Game Boy’s singular speaker. If you’re into chiptunes, the handset is also being “customized for chiptune musicians.”

Hyperkin is looking to have the Ultra Game Boy out by late summer of this year, for a price point under $100.

Brandon Orselli

About

Big Papa Overlord at Niche Gamer. Italian. Dad. Outlaw fighting for a better game industry. I also write about music, food, & beer. Also an IT guy.

  • PaRaLLaXTHeTiCS

    “Now you’re playing with power….portable power!”

  • Now that we have that out of the way, GBA SP (Clamshell?) when?

  • RPGEndBoss

    I still have the 3 FF Legends games and FF Adventure cartridges here. Might grab this just for the retro feel.

  • Tubsiwub

    “(Editor’s Note: It’s not confirmed it can play Game Boy Color cartridges. We’ve reached out to Hyperkin) it can even play Game Boy Color cartridges as well…”

    Which is it, then?

  • Arenegeth

    From the front and minus the logo, it looks almost exactly like my sliver Pocket unit I got back in the day, I suppose that was the intend.

    I prefer to play my Game Boy games on the big screen these days, through the GC Game Boy Player or otherwise, but I like options, and if this thing is really gonna be under $100, I’ll definitely get one.

  • Arenegeth

    The Cartridge at the back is R-Type DX, which can be played both in color and monochrome. Is safe to assume they used that one in order to show off the machine playing in both modes.

    I would be extremely surprised if this thing doesn’t do Color games.

  • I know I shouldn’t want one, but I want one!

  • Tubsiwub

    Same… but the article sounded certain while saying that it was uncertain at the same time.

  • TheOnceAndFutureKing

    Still got my Link’s Awakening DX and Pokemon Yellow carts.

  • West

    We need GBC deluxe hacks for all the best Gameboy games asap!

  • BFG

    I also have a bunch of GB/GBC cartridges (Pokemon Crystal, Mario Deluxe, Donkey Kong Land, Harry Potter rpg) though I get to wonder if the save battery on them still work

  • Expect the device to be renamed to “Game Person” because the original name excludes women and is misogynistic.

  • OldPalpy

    They also can’t use the original name period unless it’s trademark ran out.

  • Bassgs

    “Game Person” excludes otherkin and other stupid shit, name needs reworking.

  • Bassgs

    Still have my original collection, Link’s Awakening, pokemon yellow and gold, Wario land, Kirby and a bunch of games I got from friends that stopped playing game boy games.

    Too bad many of the saves are long gone

  • FailedSurgery

    what about gameboy advance, this is cool, but whats the point of leaving out a good chunk of the library.

  • Jad

    These machines usually have to wait for the patents protecting devices to run out so that they can exist.

  • Jad

    Hyperkin, you needed at least 15 hours of battery life. Even with a rechargeable battery, 6 hours is too short.

  • totenglocke

    Make one of these with GBA hardware in the wide form factor of the original GBA and I’ll be ecstatic.

  • Ron Burgandy

    Yeah, 6 hours makes no fucking sense there

  • Patrick England (Shadoan)

    Love’s at Hyperkin, unless that beauty has some form of Save State; your not going to get much in sales; about 75% of gameboy color games that require save data will have had their batteries die out. The other 25% are games that require no battery or have no need of one and have some form of annoying password system…. Like bomberman…. Except the passwords to bomberman are only 4 numbers long, but games more annoying than that though.