This is Niche Gamer Tech. In this column, we regularly cover tech and things related to the tech industry. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s tech or a story you want us to cover!
Sony Interactive Entertainment has released system update 4.50 for PlayStation 4.
The new update is now available worldwide, and it brings with it a host of new features and changes, including: Boost Mode on PlayStation 4 Pro, Remote Play microphone support, external harddrive support, and more.
Here’s the entire list of new things in the update:
- You can now use a USB storage device to install applications, or move applications from your PS4’s system storage. The following USB storage devices can be used. Select (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.
—External hard disk drive
—USB 3.0 or later
—250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- The quick menu is now more user friendly. Creating, joining, and other party features are even easier to access.
- (Notifications) has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.
- When using Remote Play on a Windows PC, Mac, Xperia Smartphone, or Xperia Tablet, you can now use your device’s microphone for voice chat in games or in parties.
- You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen. Select (Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshot], and then select [Activities] as the upload destination. Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
- You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
- Your status is now visible as [Mobile] when you sign in to an application such as (PlayStation App), even when you are away from your PS4 system. This means you are available to communicate with Friends.
- You can now make a party public or private even after the party has been created. Select (Party) > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].
- PlayStation VR now supports Blu-ray 3D content.
- The PS4 system you use to sign in to PlayStation Network for the first time is now automatically activated as your primary PS4 system.
- As a parent or guardian, you can now easily create sub accounts for your children when creating your master account.
- You can now upload or download saved data fright from the home screen. Press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Upload/Download Saved Data].
- You now have the option to share screenshots on PlayStation Network. When sharing, you can also adjust privacy settings.
- You can now launch (SHAREfactory) right from (Capture Gallery). Press the OPTIONS button while viewing (Capture Gallery) and then select [Edit in SHAREfactory].
- You can now change the color fo your profile screen to match the cover image. On your profile screen, select (Options) > [Change Cover Image] > [Change Background Color].
- When reporting inappropriate content, you can now preview your report before sending.
- The design of (PS4 Remote Play) for Xperia has been updated.
- When you receive a party invitation, you can now respond from (Messages) or (PS Messages) with a quick reply.
- Your profile screen cover image on your PS4 system is now displayed in (PS Messages).
- Cinematic mode image quality on PlayStation VR has been improved.