Destructive Creations have revealed the gameplay for real-time strategy stealth game War Mongrels during Realms Deep 2020.
Co-published by All in! Games, you play as two former Wehrmacht Nazi soldiers who have deserted. Once proud to drive back Bolshevik ideals, but then forced to kill innocents on the Eastern Front. Heading west, they learn more of the atrocities their former allies have been committing, and now seek to stop them.
Akin to the Commando series, the game combines real-time strategy and stealth; distract your foes, stay in hiding, and strike quickly and quietly. Should things go south, players can enter a twin-stick combat mode to fight their way out; though this is not always viable. The game will also support online co-op.
You can find the Realms Deep 2020 gameplay demo (via GamersPrey) and the Reveal Trailer with developer commentary below.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below.
War Mongrels, or WM, is an isometric real-time tactics game that takes place on the eastern front of World War II. This part of the war has been receiving less attention in gaming, even though it ended or changed a considerable number of lives and brought forward many stories of courage, comradery, but also further proof of twisted societies and the darkest parts of the human character. War Mongrels builds its foundations on these two opposing mental forces. First driven by propaganda, our heroes soon find their purpose in fighting back the expanding Nazi forces that entangled them in the international conflict in the first place. From boys to men in days, they open their eyes to the atrocities of war and find their purpose in the fight to prevent further meaningless killing.
The heavily history-inspired storyline guides players through the journey of two Wehrmacht soldiers as they go from deserters to hefty guerilla fighters. Their team expands as they meet new characters who support the same cause. As each character has their own set of skills and advantages, players must learn to combine them effectively to outsmart the enemy during a variety of missions in a changing environment. Sneaking, distraction, silent kills, and using the environment are some of the main skills players will have to take to heart, but a stock of firearms will also be available and useful in completing mission objectives. And as the goal of every hero is to save others and hopefully survive, our heroes strive to prevent the deaths of innocent people instead of getting away from the war as originally intended.
- Join forces – Online co-operative multiplayer for two players.
- Historical lesson – Events, dates, locations, weapons, uniforms, in-game historical articles, and much more.
- Use force! – Have you been spotted? Draw your weapon and try to shoot your way out!
- Unique team – Each character has their own personality, background, and skills to use during the journey.
- Take or break – Interactive environment that opens up many tactical options.
- Replay value – Try different tactics in each mission, play alone, or with different friends.
- Dark world – War is hell, and War Mongrels doesn’t sugar coat anything.
- Infernal storyline – As grim as the bloody trenches where dead soldiers remain after battle.
- Just wow! – Audio-visual quality like you’ve never seen in an RTT game before.
War Mongrels launches 2021 for Windows PC (via Steam), PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.