Today’s Niche Spotlight is Drox Operative 2, a starship action-RPG by Soldak Entertainment that recently left Early Access.
In the distant past, an ancient race called the Drox conquered the galaxy using their elite fleet of Operatives. Eventually, the Drox began to view their own Operatives as a threat, and attempted to kill them off. The ensuing galactic civil war completely changed the balance of power in the galaxy, allowing new races to emerge and take their place among the stars.
Eons later, the Drox Operatives still exist as an independent guild of mercenaries and privateers. Explore an ever-changing galaxy, accepting jobs and siding with whichever race or empire you wish. Use your hard-earned credits to upgrade your ship, and tip the balance of power across the galaxy however you see fit.
You can find an older trailer for the game below.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
Drox Operative 2 is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer for Windows and Linux.
Eons ago the Drox crushed and enslaved the ancient races and ruled the galaxy through their mighty Operatives. These elite starship captains were trained to accomplish the impossible at whatever cost. Whether employing stealth or brute force, they were always deadly. Using these Operatives, the Drox ruled the galaxy with an iron grip for over 100,000 years. Eventually realizing their Operatives were a threat, they attempted to assassinate all of them. They failed. The following Galactic Civil War was so devastating that the Drox are now extinct. The Drox Operative guild, now fully independent, survived.
Newer races emerged and thrived in the power void … for a while. Then the ancients returned. The wars were devastating, but with the Drox Operatives on their side, the ancients were beaten back and a truce was established.
Since the devastation, a 4th wave of sentient races are emerging in the galaxy. Unlike previous waves, there are thousands in this one and no one knows anything about them. In the new space race, the ancient, mature, and young races are all scouting, colonizing, and expanding, trying to take over the galaxy through diplomacy, technology, war, and any other means necessary.
As a Drox Operative it’s NOT your job to manage an empire, you are after all the captain of a single starship. It IS your job to pick the winning side and maybe even help them conquer the galaxy if you’re being nice, more importantly though is to rake in as many credits as possible, well that and build the deadliest ship in the known universe. Who will you back as an Operative? The ancient, mature, or young races? The pacifist or militaristic races? The xenophile or xenophobe races? The races that value freedom or the races that use slave labor? The strong or the weak? Your actions and inactions will impact trillions of alien lives!
- Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
- Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different “monsters”, ship components, quests, and even races
- Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
- Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
- Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
- Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
- Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer
- Essentially play an action RPG inside a universe of alien races playing a 4X game
New Features (compared to Drox Operative 1)
- Build a unique ship with a new skill/command system
- Enjoy better graphics (normal maps, better specular maps, and higher resolution textures)
- Enjoy new combat sound effects
- Deal with more treaty types (vassals, tributaries, protectorates, and federations)
- Find more component types (plasma cannons, ramming components, probes, ballistic bursts, plasma blasts, manual beams, chaining beams, plasma waves, etc)
- Experience faster movement and combat
- Interact with randomly generated races (just the young races)
- Discover way more interesting things while exploring
- Protect or exploit primitive races
- Find crew with skills
- Place spies on planets for better info and spying activities
- Access much more information on the 4X aspects
- Play as the rebels of each of the races (42 total known playable races, rebels, and subraces)
- Play as any of the unlocked young races (essentially infinite number of random playable races)
- Win sectors with the new Guild Win
- Survive Cataclysms, massive sector wide events that can greatly change the balance of power
- Play with better controller support
- Use new tools to deal with the various races in your sector (sponsor diplomatic and colony ships, vouch for races, and adventure with races)
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!