Publisher Wandering Wizard and developer Matrioshka Games have announced Expedition Agartha at PAX West 2021, a “first-person medieval action PvPvE” game set for a PC (via Steam Early Access) release sometime in 2022.
Expedition Agartha is described as something like a mythological and medieval take on the very popular online shooter Escape from Tarkov, which has players working together or fighting one another in expansive online city of Tarkov. Instead, the game is set in the mythological realm of Agartha, represented in game as an island, where players seek glory and riches.
The “hardcore full loot PvP experience” has various options to start like the the newbie “Freebooter” which is low risk, low reward and the hardcore “Mercenary”, which has full RPG style progression with gear and skills – however the latter is seemingly a permadeath option.
Players will be able to engage in first-person combat and in co-op with up to three other players for a “competitive, match-based experience” while also partaking in exploration, raids, and questing, all with the goal of leaving Agartha alive with your rewards and progress.
Here’s a new trailer:
Here’s a rundown on the game:
Legends speak of the Kingdom of Agartha, hidden to the world since time immemorial. It is said that Agartha is the birthplace of all gods and men. Empires have risen and fallen since the ages of Atlantis and Lemuria, and in all this time, the true nature of this fabled land has yet to reveal itself. The scrolls of the old scholars fade with time and history becomes but a myth. Yet time and time again, adventurers lured by the tales of immortality and paradise will risk everything to brave the dangers of the unknown. Many seek Gold, Some search for God, and others fight for Glory.
Whatever the reason, most will perish. Will you survive the Expedition?
Expedition Agartha is a first person medieval PvPvE experience. Explorers and Mercenaries from around the world find themselves on a mysterious island in the Lost Continent of Mu. In the depths of the earth, the Secrets of Agartha wait to be discovered.
Players will launch expeditions solo or with up to two other friends, and fight their way across the island. The game features a hardcore full loot PvP experience. Dangerous NPCs roam the regions, but even more lethal players stalk the land in search of treasure and blood… Enter raids, loot for resources, defeat enemies, complete quests, and extract to safety. Expedition Agartha will be Early Access at launch.
- Explore a lost island filled with danger and loot. Encounter bandits and beasts as you make your way through unfamiliar territory. Discover ancient ruins and ponder the mysteries of humanity’s true past.
- Fight in visceral combat involving light attacks, heavy attacks, blocks, and dodges. This means every fight is a skill-based battle of life or death.
- Co-op with parties of 3 players and launch an expedition. Ruthlessly hunt down other players, or build alliances to make it out alive together.
- Loot and equip a variety of medieval weapons and gear from various warrior cultures to suit your playstyle and aesthetic.
- Competitive, match-based experience where dying could mean losing everything. A successful expedition means high rewards, but death will cost you all your gear.
- Play as a Freebooter(low-risk, low-rewards) and enter the expedition with free low tier equipment without any character progression, or play as a Mercenary (high-risk, high-reward) and bring your own hard-earned gear with quest and skill progression.