Warner Brothers are working on an animated movie based on fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us, and have announced the cast.
The 2013 fighting game told the story of an alternate universe where the Joker tricking Superman into killing a pregnant Louis Lane, and detonating a nuclear weapon in Metropolis. This results in Superman killing the Joker, and over five years continues to act as judge, jury, and executioner; forming the One Earth Regime to enforce a brutal peace.
The Justice League and other villains of the “prime universe” are then teleported into this world, meeting their Regime and Insurgency counterparts. With Lex Luthor’s pill to bring everyone’s strength to Superman levels, a battle to save two worlds is on.
Hollywood Reporter report that the animated movie is inspired by the video game, and the comic book Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year One. The latter started as a promotional comic for the game, before its popularity encouraged the series to continue.
The animated movie, simply dubbed Injustice, is reportedly expected to premiere via home entertainment Fall 2021. It will not reprise the voice cast of the game or the sequel, but feature its own star-studded cast. You can find the cast list below.
- Justin Hartley as Superman
- Anson Mount as Batman
- Laura Bailey as Lois Lane and Rama Kushna
- Zach Callison as Damian and Jimmy Olsen
- Brian T. Delaney as Green Lantern
- Brandon Michael Hall as Cyborg
- Edwin Hodge as Mr. Terrific and Killer Croc
- Oliver Hudson as Plastic Man
- Gillian Jacobs as Harley Quinn
- Yuri Lowenthal as Mirror Master, Flash, and Shazam
- Derek Phillips as Nightwing, and Aquaman
- Kevin Pollak as Joker and Jonathan Kent
- Anika Noni Rose as Catwoman
- Reid Scott as Green Arrow and Victor Zsasz
- Faran Tahir as Ra’s al Ghul
- Fred Tatasciore as Captain Atom
- Janet Varney as Wonder Woman
- Andrew Morgado as Mirror Master Soldier
Staff include Executive Producer Sam Register, Producers Rick Morales (Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge) and Jim Krieg, Director Matt Perers (Justice League Dark), and script by Ernie Altbacker (Batman: Hush).
In August 2020, a graphic artist teased Injustice 3. If still (or ever) in production, a new animated movie would help promote the new game, and vice-versa.
Injustice: Gods Among Us is available on Windows PC (via Steam), PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Android, and iOS.
This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!