Today’s Niche Spotlight is Nongunz: Doppelganger Edition, a roguelite action-platformer with idle game elements by Brainwash Gang and Digerati.
The Doppelganger Edition is an upgraded rerelease of Nongunz, a game that was removed from sale a while back after the developer’s seedy publisher disappeared. Fight your way through procedurally generated levels as you try to decipher the game’s surreal and esoteric mechanics and secrets.
Build up your high score during each run to purchase upgrades. Rescue prisoners to unlock new features and gradually accrue resources in a bizarre idle game hub between runs. You can find the launch trailer below.
Nongunz: Doppelganger Edition is available on Windows PC (via GOG and Steam), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One for $12.99. Owners of the original version will receive the Doppelganger Edition as a free update.
You can find a rundown (via Steam) below:
Unveil the mystery behind the nihilistic universe of Nongunz
- Hundreds of levels plagued with dozens of different enemies
- Unforgiving gameplay that will challenge both your skill and your wits
- Intense run-and-gun combat
- Card based perk system granting you powerups and passive stats such as speed boost and bigger bullets
- Many weapons, items and equipment to unlock and master
- The unyielding pressure of your own mortality
- A kill-chain combo meter to keep you forever moving forward
- The everpressing guilt of your past wrongs.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!