Nintendo and Bandai Namco Entertainment have announced the next Nintendo Switch Online battle royale arcade game; Pac-99.
Much like Super Mario Bros. 35 and Tetris 99, Pac-Man 99 brings battle royale style mechanics to the classic game. 99 players tackle a game of Pac-Man, where eating ghosts sends a “Jammer Pac-Man” to other player’s mazes. These Pac-Men slow down the player if they touch them.
However, players can also munch on sleeping ghosts at any time to create a Ghost Train behind the iconic four phantoms. When a Ghost Train is eaten after a Power Pellet, multiple Jammers are sent to other players.
Players also have access to four “strategies” to alter how they play (moving faster, or sending more Jammers) and four criteria to prioritize the target of Jammers. Survive, and become the last man standing; the Pac-One.
The game also has paid DLC, offering CPU battles, Score Attack, Blind Time Attack, and alternative maze themes based on other classic Namco games.
You can find the announcement trailer below.
The new comes after the removal of Super Mario Bros. 35 on April 1st, concluding the series’ 35th anniversary celebration. The title was also removed along with Super Mario 3D All-Stars; with one anonymous developer claiming this limited availability was due to Nintendo knowing “rereleases of games tend to wither on wishlists.”
Pac-Man 99 is available now on Nintendo Switch for Nintendo Switch Online Subscribers.
You can find the full rundown (via Nintendo) below. Editor’s Note: Repeated text has been removed.
It’s an all-new flavor of PAC-MAN! Test your chomping chops in a 99-player Pac-Royale!
A 99-player online PAC-MAN battle royale!
- 40 years after the classic Pac-phenomenon rocked the gaming world, PAC-MAN is back in a new 99-man battle royale. Get back in the maze and chase down the iconic ghosts. Who will be the last PAC-MAN standing?
Switch between eight different strategies and send Jammer Pac-Man to get in your opponents’ way!
- Eat a Power Pellets to turn the ghosts blue and make them vulnerable. Eat them to send Jammer Pac-Man to your opponents! The more ghosts you eat, the more Jammers you’ll send!
- Eat a Ghost Train for a huge comeback!
- Gain the upper hand by switching between eight different preset strategies: speed up, send extra Jammers, and more. Switching at just the right moment could give you an edge over your rivals!
Make the game look like your favorite NAMCO classics!
- You can purchase downloadable custom themes based on Xevious, GALAGA, Dig Dug, and more to change the look of the game.
- There are twenty different classic themes in all! Plus, they do more than change the graphics! Check out the sounds too!
- Which classic NAMCO title is the one for you?