Today’s Niche Spotlight is Suzerain, a text-based political sim by Torpor Games and Fellow Traveller.
The game is set in 1954, in the nation of Sordland. After decades of civil war, economic collapse, and dictatorships, Sordland has elected Anton Rayne, a charismatic president that promises to bring about political and economic reform.
As Anton Rayne, it is your job to shape Sordland over the course of your term, for better or worse. Appoint advisors and cabinet members, navigate the internal politics of Sordland’s various factions, and fend off the advances of hungry rival nations.
You can find the launch trailer below.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT
As President Anton Rayne, lead Sordland into ruin or repair in your first term. Navigate a political drama, driven by conversations with your cabinet members and other significant figures in a country with its own complicated history. Beware or embrace corruption; shirk or uphold ideals.
A COUNTRY IN TURMOIL
In 1954, the country of Sordland is emerging from a 20-year dictatorship, following a bloody civil war. You play as a charismatic young man, Anton Rayne, who has surprised everyone by rising to the top of the party in power and getting elected as the new President of Sordland.
The people are hungry for democratic reforms after decades under a traditionalist power. The economy is in shambles and the political landscape is shifting. Neighboring superpowers are watching closely, and there are military threats on the horizon.
Can you pull the country out of its recession? Will you meet the demands of your people for reform? The future of Sordland depends on your choices. Good luck, Mr. President.
WHO WILL YOU TRUST?
Work closely with your Cabinet members to forge strong policies and practices for your government. Make deals and allies to benefit the people—or yourself. But remember: everyone has their own ideals, and agenda. Pick your allies carefully, and your enemies even more carefully.
WHO WILL YOU SACRIFICE?
Which is more important, your country or your family? It’s challenging to be a good father and a good president at the same time. Can you do both? If not, which one will you choose?
HOW WILL YOU LEAD?
- Weighty, dramatic conversations: Navigate intricate conversations in this 400K-word branching political drama.
- Every choice has consequences: Make difficult choices on security, economy, diplomacy and more. Even outside the office, your beliefs will be challenged by your friends and your family.
- Make allies and enemies: Interact with a wide array of characters with different personalities and ideologies.
- Pay attention to current events: Follow the situation in Sordland through reports and news.
- What will your legacy be?: Where the country ends up at the end of your four-year term is determined by your decisions.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!