Today’s Niche Spotlight is SpellForce 3: Fallen God, the second standalone expansion for the RTS/RPG hybrid, along with the free-to-play SpellForce: 3 Versus Edition.
SpellForce 3: Fallen God adds the Trolls, the sixth playable faction to the game. The campaign follows Akrog, a young Moonkin troll chieftain trying to find salvation for his dying tribe. An enigmatic elf comes to Akrog with a solution to his tribe’s woes: the chance to resurrect a dead god. The campaign features branching paths, and adds new ways to customize your heroes.
You can find the launch trailer below.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
Your dwindling, nomadic tribe of trolls has just one goal: survival. Plagued by vicious poachers for your precious tusks and weakened by disease, hope is almost lost – until an enigmatic Elven stranger offers you, the young chieftain Akrog, a path to salvation: you must resurrect a fallen god.
- The perfect blend of RTS and RPG: SpellForce 3: Fallen God combines RTS and RPG gameplay for an exciting blend of storytelling and epic real-time battles
- Standalone game and story: Fallen God is a standalone expansion to SpellForce 3. You don’t need to be familiar with the story of SpellForce 3 or SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest to jump right in
- Single-player campaign: Featuring the dark, enthralling story of the long-misunderstood Trolls and their battle for survival, with a playtime of around 20 hours
- Customize your heroes: Combine skill trees and abilities to create the perfect heroes for your strategy
- Explore a new continent: Discover Urgath and solve its mysteries using unique hero interactions with the world
- Craft powerful weapons: Salvage legendary weapons and armor from other races to give your Trolls the edge in battle
- Lead your army to victory: Hone your battle strategy in an improved sector-based RTS system
- Win epic battles: Make the best use of each unit’s strengths to ensure victory
- Immerse yourself in Urgath: Enjoy the beautiful fantasy soundtrack and cutting-edge, top-down graphics
- Compete for glory with Ranked Play!
- Choose from 4 RTS factions: Humans, Elves, Orcs and Trolls, each featuring two unique heroes that complement individual play styles
- Create your own maps with our powerful modding tools
New features compared to SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest:
- All-new Campaign featuring a storyline about the Moonkin trolls with over 20 hours of content
- All-new abilities and skilltrees for even more customizable heroes
- Campaign replay value, thanks to the character-shaping mechanic. Multiple endings based on the decisions you make
- Trolls – a new RTS faction with brand-new mechanics!
SpellForce: 3 Versus Edition also launched alongside the new expansion. Versus Edition is a free-to-play version of the game’s multiplayer and skirmish modes. It allows players to jump into the game’s multiplayer (including ranked modes) without buying the base game or any of the expansions.
Players will have access to Humans, Orcs, and Elves by default, and can buy an upgrade pack for $14.99 USD that unlocks all six factions. You will still need to buy the other games and expansions to play the campaigns.
SpellForce: 3 Versus Edition is free-to-play on Windows PC via Steam.
You can find a rundown (via Steam) below:
The SpellForce 3: Versus Edition gives you the chance to enter the battlefields of Eo for free, letting you test your RTS skills against AI opponents or even other human players.
Skirmish or 1-on-1 Multiplayer
You can choose whether you want to take on AI enemies in a Skirmish battle, or go head-to-head with other human players of SpellForce 3 in both Ranked and Unranked PVP matches.
On top of it all you can also check out the single-player scenario ‘Old Haalâyash’ to get a glimpse of what the lavishly created single player campaigns of SpellForce 3 and its stand-alone expansions have to offer.
Multiplayer Races: Orcs, Humans and Elves
You will be randomly assigned a faction, giving you a chance to try out either playing as Orcs, Humans or Elves.
Each faction has its own strengths and traits, so you’ll need to develop your strategy to make the most of your warriors and workers. And because the faction is randomly assigned every time you play, you’ll have to think fast in order to secure victory.
Upgrade to unlock more excitement
This is just a taste of the challenge and fun that SpellForce 3’s RTS matches have to offer. When you are hungry for more, the full versions of SpellForce 3 and its stand-alone expansions Soul Harvest and Fallen God will get you access to the complete PvP experience with all factions and the full story campaign.
If you love the PvP aspect of the game, we also offer the “SpellForce 3: Versus Edition – Full PvP Upgrade” DLC which contains the complete PvP experience with access to all 6 factions (Orcs, Humans, Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Trolls).
Please note that the full Single Player and story campaign experience is only unlocked by acquiring SpellForce 3 and its stand-alone expansions Soul Harvest and Fallen God.
- Free PvP multiplayer
- Go for glory with Ranked and Unranked PVP matches
- Choose Skirmish mode to play against challenging AI opponents
- Battle against other human players of SpellForce 3, SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest, and SpellForce 3: Fallen God
- Play the single-player ‘Old Haalâyash’ scenario map
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!