Dan Fornace have announced the release date of the Definitive Edition of fighting game Rivals of the Aether.
Rivals of Aether is available on Windows PC (via Steam), Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. The Definitive Edition will launch September 24th for Windows PC, and Nintendo Switch.
The Super Smash Bros. style fighting game pits rivals representing each of the four elements against each other. Along with cameo characters from several games as DLC, the game’s beta Steam Workshop support also allowed for modded skins and new characters.
The Definitive Edition will sell for $29.99, and will be free to those who already own the game on Steam (upgrading to the Definitive Edition, presumably as an update). It will include the 12 original characters, along with the Shovel Knight and Ori & Stein DLC characters.
Along with the existing multiplayer, Story, and Abyss Modes (all being updated); the new Tetherball mode will be added. Online features will also improve, with up to four player matches, and online support for Abyss Versus, Abyss Endless, and Tetherball.
There will also be a Milestone System that will allow players to unlock cosmetic skins with progress. Those who had purchased a DLC character on Steam prior to the Definitive Edition’s launch will unlock the Infamous Skin for that character. The Infamous Skins are not currently available on the Nintendo Switch version of the game.
Finally the Steam Workshop will leave beta branches of the game, introducing Workshop Skins to the game. These include Basic Skins (which change an existing character) and Advance Skins (which change how the character or even the game behaves).
You can find the launch date trailer below.
You can find an abridged rundown of the original game (via Steam) below.
RIVALS OF AETHER is an indie fighting game set in a world where warring civilizations summon the power of Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. Choose a Rival to bring into the battlefield and manipulate the powers of the classical elements and animal movement. Praised for its competitive gameplay and intensive training tools, Rivals of Aether is the perfect entry to the Platform Fighter genre.
- Choose VERSUS MODE to duke it out in competitive 1v1 or 2v2 fights, or jump into a free-for-all.
- Play STORY MODE to learn the backstory behind each rival and begin to uncover the hidden mysteries of Aether.
- Dive into ABYSS MODE to see how many waves of shadowy fighters you can defeat and reach the leaderboards alone or with a friend. Customize your Abyss Mode builds and challenge your friends in ABYSS VERSUS .
- Take your skills online in ONLINE VERSUS ! Play against your friends or test your skills in RANKED MODE to climb the leaderboard.
- Study TUTORIAL MODE to hone your skills from beginner to advanced lessons. Or boot up PRACTICE MODE to get your hands on all the frame data and hitbox visualizations.
Image: Rivals of the Aether official website