This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Virgo Versus The Zodiac, a JRPG where you play as an obsessed villain by Moonana and Degica.
In Virgo Versus The Zodiac, you play as Virgo the Queen of Purity on her quest to dethrone the Zodiacs, purge the Heretics, and bring about the Golden Age, a prophesized period of peace, symmetry, and stability…or so she thinks.
The game’s combat system is inspired by the Mario RPG series, blending turn-based mechanics with timing-focused minigames. There’s also a shmup side game where you can fly around the galaxy shooting enemies and avoiding complex bullet patterns. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Virgo Versus The Zodiac is available on Windows PC via Steam for $19.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Virgo Versus the Zodiac is a sci-fi/fantasy JRPG inspired by the Mario & Luigi RPG series and the Mother RPG series in which you play as an obsessed villain.
The game features traditional turn-based combat with real-time execution of moves: blocking, countering and timing your attacks carefully as well as predicting your foes’ moves is essential to succeed in Virgo’s twisted and unforgiving cosmic quest to bring back the Golden Age, a period of peace, symmetry and balance, or so she thinks.
In this galaxy where every action means a reaction, you’ll play as Virgo, the Holy Queen, often called Dreadful Queen by heretics, bringing mayhem to the Zodiac Realms and leaving a trail of stardust on the way, all to fit her excessively righteous worldview.
- A unique turn based combat system featuring timed-actions and counterattacks that favors a balance of offense and defense, rewarding a deliberate mind and swift fingers.
- No Random Encounters: Every fight is a unique challenge designed specifically for you.
- A focus on exploration with multiple endings: There are many people, places, and items to see among the stars, and each interaction could be the one that determines your fate!
- Zodiac Memories: Peer behind the veil to explore the backstories of the Zodiacs!
- Take the Dangerous Route and fight off the Space Reptiles in an optional Action Filled Shoot’em Up Minigame!
- And most importantly: Riding Alpacas!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!