This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is EarthNight, a surreal, hand-illustrated action-platformer with roguelite elements by Cleaversoft.
In the distant future, humanity was exiled to space by a dragon apocalypse. Now, its time to retake the Earth as Sydney and Stanley. Plunge to the planet’s surface, run and jump along the backs of dragons, and fight your way through five layers of the atmosphere with an arsenal of unlockable power ups. You can check out the launch trailer above.
EarthNight is available on Windows PC, Mac (both via Steam), PS4, and Switch for $14.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Dragons have taken over the Earth!
It’s up to Sydney and Stanley to stop them.
EarthNight is an illustrated procedurally generated platformer that takes place in a dystopian future just after the dragon apocalypse. Humans have been exiled to space, forced to live in orbit above the planet. But Sydney and Stanley have had enough! They’ve decided to skydive back down to the planet, taking out as many dragons as they can along the way.
Each run begins in space. You must traverse five layers of the atmosphere on the perilous journey down to Earth alternating between skydiving and running on the backs of dragons. Your path to EarthNight will always be different and riddled with danger.
- Jump and dash your way across the backs of dragons on your way down to Earth in classic 2D side-scrolling action.
- Unlock more than 25 gameplay-altering powerups that will aid you on your journey as you slay dragons and discover secrets.
- Experience a unique run no matter how many times you play thanks to near-infinite variations of hand designed, procedurally generated levels.
- Explore five layers of the atmosphere with more than 40 enemies, more than 15 unique dragons and hundreds of scraps and items, all brought to life by artist Mattahan, who meticulously painted each of EarthNight’s 10,000+ frames of art and animation.
- Enjoy an original, exciting soundtrack intertwined into gameplay, including more than 20 songs written and performed by chiptune musician Chipocrite.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!