This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Police Stories, a new top-down tactical shooter by Mighty Morgan and HypeTrain Digital.
This buddy cop crime drama follows John Rimes and Rick Jones as they raid criminal hideouts, rescue civilians in hostage situations, and complete other deadly missions. Loosely inspired by the old SWAT games, Police Stories features a surrender and arrest system, ensuring that the game isn’t just about shooting every criminal you come across. The game includes online co-op, but can be played solo by issuing commands to your AI-controlled partner. You can check out a trailer above.
Police Stories is available on Windows PC, Mac, Linux (all via Steam), PS4, Switch, and Xbox One for $14.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Unforgiving and tense, each mission tells a story of two police operatives – John Rimes and Rick Jones, filled with infiltrating gang hideouts, rescuing hostages, making arrests and other life-threatening situations.
- The Surrender System allows you to apprehend the suspects without resorting to violence. Fire a warning shot near them or engage them in melee combat – those are just some of the ways you can make them submit.
- Issue commands to your fellow cop Rick Jones. Make sure to use him wisely – and who knows, he might save your life in return.
- Randomly placed criminals, hostages and evidence make every level run unique. The placement changes every time you restart, leading to new interesting situations and opportunities.
- As a law enforcement officer, you will have access to end-of-the-line police equipment, such as under-the-door cameras, door blast charges and many others.
- Various types of lawbreakers, from small petty criminals to well organised gangs and terrorists. Each type has not only unique weapons, but different behaviour and shooting skill.
- Complex Tactical Gameplay: Try not to get spotted, don’t waste bullets, regularly check your surroundings and make sure to take criminals down quietly.
- All your actions are scored in real time. Playing aggressively won’t get you a high enough result to start the next mission – so keep that in mind!
- Online Co-op. Complete missions in multiplayer for better scores and more fun!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!