This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Forged of Blood, a new tactical RPG by Critical Forge.
Forged of Blood promises to offer players a deep mix of tactical combat, management, and choice-driven storytelling. Players will command up to three parties of heroes in a strategic overworld as they fight to reclaim their kingdom.
There are no true classes in the game either, and magic is based around crafting your own spells by adjusting various functions, modifiers, and stats. The game’s choice system focuses on shades of gray based around three core personality traits. You can check out a trailer above.
Forged of Blood is available on Windows PC via Steam for $29.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Forged of Blood is pushing the boundaries of depth and mechanical complexity for the modern turn-based tactical RPG. Classless character building, strategic management, and small unit tactical gameplay combine to create a multi-layered experience that puts players in the middle of a civil war in a morally grey fantasy world.
A game of hard decisions and harsher consequences, Forged of Blood will challenge players to make decisions across every layer of the game. On the battlefield, character builds, turn-order efficiency, and positioning will be key to victory. While off the battlefield, your choices on the world map will determine the fate of your kingdom and future of your people.
- Tactical Fantasy: Take to the field with sword and shield or cast powerful spells in deep turn-based tactical combat against monsters and men.
- Classless Warfare: With 9 unique weapons and a vast magic system, Forged of Blood lets you build your characters any way you want – without being constrained by the typical tank/DPS/healer roles.
- Science in Magic: Explore the freedom and mysteries of one of the most complex and unique magic systems ever attempted in video games.
- Kingdom at War: Command up to three parties of heroic characters on the strategic layer in your fight to reclaim the empire you lost.
- Meaningful Choice: Your choices matter. From character building to your choices in the game narrative, your decisions will reverberate across the Strategic and Tactical layers of the game.
- Your ends; your means: In a world of grays and unique perspectives, it is up to you to decide what is “right” and “wrong” for the future of Attiras. Forged of Blood will introduce a new Tri-axis Personality Plot (TAPP) system in lieu of the traditional Good vs. Evil scale common in most RPG settings.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!