This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!
Hot on the heels of Tenchi Muyo! getting a live-action stage play adaptation, animation studio AIC has announced some wonderful news – Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki, the OVA series that started it all, is getting a fifth season.
While details are scant, original creator Masaki Kajishima is returning as the character designer and chief director at AIC. Hideki Shirane is penning the script, and Yasunori Honda is the sound director.
The first visual was revealed:
The initial cast was also confirmed:
- Masami Kikuchi – Tenchi Masaki
- Ai Orikasa – Ryoko
- Haruhi Nanao – Aeka Masaki Jurai
- Chisa Yokoyama – Sasami Masaki Jurai
- Michie Tomizawa – Mihoshi Kuramitsui
- Yuko Kobayashi – Washu Hakubi
- Naomi Shindo – Noike Kamiki Jurai
- Etsuko Kozakura – Ryo-Ohki
- Yukiko Morishita – Kenshi Masaki
The previous OVA season (the fourth) kicked off in 2016, a first in the series after 11 years when the third OVA was released in 2005, and ran until 2017.
A premiere date for the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki fifth season wasn’t confirmed, but we’ll keep you guys posted.