inXile Entertainment has announced that The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut will be launching on Windows PC, Mac, Linux (all via Steam and GOG), PS4, and Xbox One on August 27th. There’s also a physical retail version coming to consoles on September 6th.
This upgraded version of the game features more character customization options, new items, new enemies, a reworked UI, and a new dungeon. You can check out a trailer above.
The Director’s Cut version comes in two flavors on PC: a Standard Edition for $34.99, and a Deluxe Edition for $49.99 that includes lots of extras, like the soundtrack, digital artbook, wallpapers, world map, novellas, and more.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Hidden in the shadows, an evil has waited patiently. Until now. Who will face the darkness if not you? A heroic adventure featuring 50+ hours of gameplay, 350 speaking parts, a Legacy Mode for returning fans, and over 100 pieces of incredible music!
The Director’s Cut brings more character customization options, new items, new enemies, revised UI, and a free expansion dungeon.
- Customize How You Play – Define the way you play, using sliders on numerous options such as saving (including “save anywhere”), the mini-map, waypoint markers and many more. Whether you seek a hardcore challenge, a lighter experience, or something in-between, the choice is yours.
- Create the Hero You Want To Be – Play as Bard, Fighter, Practitioner, and Rogue, each featuring 60-70 skills and collectively unlocking 21 unique classes. Build an array of characters to make every playthrough a unique experience.
- Craft your Party, Your Way – Start your party with a single character, recruiting or creating new heroes to bolster your ranks. Build a party that suits your play style!
- An Adventure Around Every Corner – Explore towns full of quest givers, fight your way through dark and deadly dungeons, and navigate beautiful rolling hills, dense forests, and icy wastes.
- Outsmart Evil – Battle your enemies in dynamic, intuitive turn-based tactical combat, that rewards clever thinking. Use superior strategies, thoughtful positioning, and deadly combos to bring down your foes!
- Unlock the Secrets of the Past – Unravel challenging mysteries. If your enemies don’t get you, the devious riddles and dangerous traps just might.
- The Blade’s Tale – The sense of discovery and mystery doesn’t stop with the environment. Gain ancient Elven weapons containing secrets which you’ll need to uncover by carefully examining them.
- New Song of Exploration “Strugglers’ Lament” – Whether you just want to explore and fight or if you get stuck, simply play this song to skip mandatory puzzles.